Rigid but foldable rigs? (other than Playseat Challenge and NLR F-GT/GT Lite)

I've been using a Playseat Challenge for about 3 and a half years now. It's mostly been okay, but as I've been upgrading my gear throughout the last few years, the drawbacks have become more and more obvious.

The first one was the pedal mount: the Playseat Challenge just has a velcro strap, and the one on mine wore out quite quickly. Eventually I put a sheet of plywood under the pedal frame, and bolted the pedals to it, with the bolts being just outside of the pedal frame and kinda clamping the pedals to the rig. I did this with Logitech G29 pedals after the velcro strap wore out, as well as with the Fanatec CSL Elite LC pedals I bought eventually.

This is obviously not a problem with the two NLR rigs, but it looks like the other main issue would be:
The wheel deck is quite wobbly, even if you pull it as tight as possible. This is especially noticeable with a heavier wheelbase (I'm using a CSW v2.5, and I assume it might be even worse with a DD). The NLR rigs use the same mechanism to adjust the angle, and according to reviews I've seen, the wheel deck on those also tends to wobble a bit.

If I didn't have the issue of extremely limited space, I already would've switched to something better, e.g. Simlab GT1 Evo or GT Omega ART...

Are there any rigs or good plans for DIY rigs which are more rigid than the Playseat and NLR rigs, but can still be stored away?

Not that I know of. I think a lot of us would quite like something that we could fold away but was more solid than the Playseat Challenge but alas they don't really exist. With a chunk of effort and some 8020/ 40x40 you could probably work out how to make a much better pedal deck that was solid (or just some wood screwed down to it) and the same for building a hinging wheel deck.

My biggest issue is the back angle, it caused me severe back pain so I ended up getting a solid seat and rig but if it doesn't cause you grief reinforcing what you have is the only route I know of.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back