Rig seats, is there an alternative approach?

I'm looking for an out-of-the-box solution for rig seating. It seems a real car seat isn't stiff enough for LC brakes, but all the racing seats look like they'd be too narrow for me. And, really, I don't need FIA certification or resistance to lateral G force in my pretend cars :), though I totally get the coolness/immersion factor.

I currently race a desk and use a slightly-padded metal folding chair. It's sturdy, comfortable, stiff, and doesn't move on the floor. But I'm considering a rig. I'm trying to figure out how I could mount my chair on profile - it might look dorky but if I could secure it it wold suit me well. Another possibility is mounting something like the seat from an Ikea "ODGER" or "SKÅLBERG / SPORREN" chair.

Has anyone (especially fellow older and wider wiser sim racers) tried something like this?

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, but since I am really just starting out sim racing, and finances are a bit streched, due to a lack of work (Thanks Mr Covid), it's paracord for the next wee while, till I get back to work, and can afford a decent rig.

How about this DIY solution: Empty soup bins, glue anti slip tape on the button of the bins, put the chair wheels into the bins, voila. Probably the bins have to be cut down as the wheels aren't that high as the bins.

Upvote 0
How about this DIY solution: Empty soup bins, glue anti slip tape on the button of the bins, put the chair wheels into the bins, voila. Probably the bins have to be cut down as the wheels aren't that high as the bins.
I got a better soloution today, I found a cheap Race room rig on ebay, and the darling dearest wife, gave me the shekels to buy it. (she must be up to something, or wanting a decent anniversary present this year).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%