Rift S users, opinions needed pls

I'm dead set on getting back into sim racing, and when I left, I was using VR with AC. After trying VR, I can't go back to flat, so I'm in the market for a new HMD. I want an Index, but honestly probably can't afford it without taking out a loan. Anyone using the Rift S? How is it with AC? My only base of reference would be with the CV1, and I know the res wasn't great, but it sure was thrilling, but I just don't know if I should settle for the rift S or hold out and save up for the Index. Opinions needed, should I go ahead and get the Rift S and get back on track now? Any negatives with it?

I understand this post is probably more suited for the hardware forum, but I'll probably only use it for AC, so I'd like opinions from AC drivers.

I am not sure how well it translates however I have only played ACC in VR and I use the Oculus rift S. I find the experience very fun and the fidelity pretty good once tuned a bit. That can be a bit of a wildcard depending on your hardware configuration. My only real gripe with the rift S is them being owned by facebook however I just chalk it up for what it is. One of the main reasons I went with the Rift S was I liked the inside out tracking. If this is something that appeals to you I would say go with that. You also should consider how long you will need to save to get the Index. Just my two cents, cheers.

I am not sure how well it translates however I have only played ACC in VR and I use the Oculus rift S. I find the experience very fun and the fidelity pretty good once tuned a bit. That can be a bit of a wildcard depending on your hardware configuration. My only real gripe with the rift S is them being owned by facebook however I just chalk it up for what it is. One of the main reasons I went with the Rift S was I liked the inside out tracking. If this is something that appeals to you I would say go with that. You also should consider how long you will need to save to get the Index. Just my two cents, cheers.

I have an i7 6700 stock clock and a gtx 1080, what are you running?

I ran my RIFT s on an old i7 3770 and a 980Ti... it worked. But had to run everything pretty low.

Built a new machine last October with a R5 3600, 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3200, and it runs brilliantly... I had tried a CV1 before that on a friends rig, and the Rift S is far better.

Don't hesitate, especially as Rift S is discontinued and you may find it had to buy soon.

I was about to get a Rift S, but then read about it's non-adjustable IPD issues. The max IPD , I believe, on the Rift S is 68. Mine is 70, which means it may or may not be good for me. With no way for me to try one out before buying, I deemed it too much of a risk.

So I went with a Quest 2, and don't regret it one bit. Especially now that Oculus officially supports wireless PC VR on the Quest 2 via Air Link. You might think being able to go wireless isn't a big deal for simracers since you're sitting in one spot, but you'd be surprised. The liberating feeling of not having to deal with, or feel, a cable being attached to your head is pretty amazing.

I haven't driven a whole lot in AC with the Quest 2, but with plain vanilla AC I've been able to get to 90fps. However, that all changes the moment I enable CSP+Sol. Sadly, my fps drops to a paltry 40. Mind you, I haven't made any real effort to optimize my settings yet. There's a few YouTube videos showing you what settings to use in CSP+Sol to bump your fps up a bit. But since I'm going from 90 to 40, I'm not very optimistic it's going to make a huge difference. It's a shame too, since I'm really liking the improved visuals the latest CSP brings.

I'm running a GTX 1080, so I obviously need to upgrade. But the way GPU prices are, that won't be happening anytime soon. They say GPU prices won't even begin to return to normal until 2022! I might instead get a 49" super ultrawide and drive in that for titles that won't work in VR (i.e. AC and CSP+Sol with all of the eye candy turned on). That might hold me over until GPU prices return to something that more resembles reasonable.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%