PC2 ridiculous gamepad issue

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
I just reinstalled PC2 to try it with a Sony DS4. controller and I do have the most ridiculous issue I have ever had with a driving game or any game for that matter.

For a few races everything went as expected - gamepad works like one would expect, no issues.

Then on starting another race everything appears to be fine at the start as well but the moment I start braking for T1 I have a COMPLETE LOSS OF ALL CONTROL - the gamepad vibrates and no input is recognized at all for a couple of seconds.

After that the control seems to be working but the moment I engage the brakes again or steering the same complete loss of control happens again.

At first I thought it may be an issue with controller settings or the gamepad itself. I remapped controls a couple of times, I reinstalled PC2 a couple of times. The issue returns out of nowhere.

The controller works fantastic without ANY issues at all in other games.

Did anybody run into this issue?

Buy a wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow that was a helpful reply...:rolleyes:
He has a good wheel, triples etc. But maybe he likes to play a quick race with his game pad on a laptop when he's not close to his rig?
Better reply in a stupid manner to spam a little when the Sunday afternoon is too boring?

Sadly I can't help you Dirk!
What you should test though: swap the mapping for brakes and throttle please to see whether it's the left trigger or the brakes inducing the bug :)

Buy a wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hilarious
Wow that was a helpful reply...:rolleyes:
He has a good wheel, triples etc. But maybe he likes to play a quick race with his game pad on a laptop when he's not close to his rig?
Better reply in a stupid manner to spam a little when the Sunday afternoon is too boring?

Sadly I can't help you Dirk!
What you should test though: swap the mapping for brakes and throttle please to see whether it's the left trigger or the brakes inducing the bug :)
Thanks Rasmus, I tried this after your tip but it also makes no difference :-(

The strangest thing this is really. I have never once seen such a thing.

It happens exclusively with PC2 - no other software shows this strange behavior.
It makes no difference wether using the DS4 via bluetooth or cabled.
Changing controller profiles in Steam for PC2 has no impact on this issue.
After having PC2 freshly installed the controller works for a while but at some point without ANY changes in controller settings it stops working.
All other games I have installed through Steam work perfect without any issues at all - in fact this standard Sony DS4 controller has be by far the most reliable and easy to set up controller I have used in years - I highly recommend them over Xbox or third party manufacturer controllers (especially over the horribly malfunctioning MS Xbox One Elite controller which just self-destruct).

The issue is also the weirdest thing I have ever seen - on engaging a particular controller feature (mostly one can observe this when braking for the first time after a race start but once the issue is triggered other controls like steering left will trigger this issue as well).

It is like a certain control will "overload" some data channel, the controller starts to vibrate continuously and no further inputs of the controller are registered in PC2 until the issue stops and one has control again (until triggering the issue again).

I have never seen something like that.

The only issue I has with my Xbox360 controller is that it sometimes randomly switches to slot 2 or 3 and only works in the menus of PC2 in this state. Removing the controller from the Control panel then replugging it while the game is running fixes the problem. It doesn't happen in any of the other games I play. Maybe you should try that too.

Thanks for the input - I do not fully understand the controller switching to different slots.
Are you using PC2 on PC?

I am using PC2 installed through Steam on Windows 10 with a Sony DS4 (latest) connected either through Bluetooth or through USB.
The gamepad support works though Steam.

I did some further testing and it gets even more ridiculous:

When removing ALL controller mappings and exclusively go all 1997 Gran Turismo style (who doesn't remember that?) and exclusively map digital functions to:

Dpad left / right (steering)
throttle and brake to a digital button on the right
RB / LB (shift up / down)

The issue is completely solved.

Then I systematically have remapped every one of those functions one by one to the analog controls they are supposed to be at (left analog stick to steering and analog triggers to throttle / brakes).
The moment analog controls are mapped the issue re-emerges.

It makes no difference if I map the controller as "Microsoft XB360" or as "Custom" in PC2 - the issue is identical.

It also makes no difference setting different controller profiles through the Steam controller support functions.

I searched the SMS forum up and down in relation to gamepad issues (there is a ton of material about that very matter but none of which that would describe this particular issue).

Funny enough game pad issues are shot down by the CEO (chuckles) with the argument "We do not have game pad issues. If we would have game pad issues we would not have been able to certify PC2 through Microsoft."

Isn't that just the kind of argument customers want to hear when they have a legitimate issue with a product? ;-)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.8%