Richard Burns Rally Lives On with New RBR 2016 Free Download

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Richard Burns Rally 2016.jpg

Richard Burns Rally is a rally simulation long regarded as the most difficult driving experience available to PC players since the now legendary Grand Prix Legends hit the virtual racetracks.

Developed with the aid of the now sadly departed 2001 World Rally Champion Richard Burns, SCi Games released this title as a rival to the then very popular Codemasters Colin McRae Rally game.
Receiving incredibly little commercial success, despite hardcore rally fans praising the title the singularly most difficult and realistic rallying experience ever released, SCi shut their doors at the end of 2005 and basically left the simulation to die amidst a sea of rival competitors.

As the game has such a popular online following, over the next several years many industrious modding groups and individuals invested considerable time in developing and extending a simulation that had essentially become abandonware, moving the title far past the expectations of the studios' original intentions. Sadly all this development came at a not inconsequential price, the sheer volume of additional modifications and add on content could easily run into tens of dozens GB of additional downloads and leave many users simply baffled as to how to best get the game to run on home PC's.

This is where the exception Richard Burns Rally 2016 by Martin Pereyra really comes into its own. Weighing in at just 1.56GB, Pereyra has packaged together many of the key elements required to make this a one stop shop standalone game that accurately represents to 2016 WRC season. Featuring the cars and drivers from this years WRC main event as well as the supporting WRC 2 category. As mentioned earlier, RBR2016 is a standalone modification that does not require the original Richard Burns Rally software to operate.

The RBR 2016 mod has received considerable treatment from Pereyra, as the Argentine modder has not only included all the cars and drivers (plus newly reworked AI) from 2016, considerable attention has also been paid to substantially upgrading the physics characteristics of the cars as well as injecting the appropriate third party plugins to allow the game to function properly on modern PC hardware (remember the game was originally launched in 2004).

With a free download available some people may question the moral dilemma that comes with freely downloading software that formally retailed in stores when under the control of SCi Games. With SCi Games no longer in existence and RBR having long since been discontinued then its down to personal opinion on if you want to search out and download this mod. I for one hope that if people do, the RBR 2016 mod can hopefully introduce a whole new generation of gamers get to one of the most impressive rally simulations ever created. A fitting tribute to an outstanding driver.

If you want to know more about Richard Burns Rally, or wish to join up with your fellow RBR fans here at RaceDepartment then join in the discussion in our Richard Burns Rally sub forum. We have the latest news and a sizable downloads section to peruse, so head over and join in today!

Have you tried the RBR 2016 standalone mod yet? What do you think? How does it compare to modern rally titles such as Codemasters DiRT and Sebastien Loeb Rally? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Very nice mod. I've changed the pilot names too with the 2016 pilots list. Now it's much more immersive.
To do so you have to open the misc file in the RBR folder with winrar or similar. Later is necessary to open the aidv file as a text. Inside there's the original pilots names to change with 2016 pilots. The new aidv file must replace the old one.

Folks,

the reason why this download is no more available is simple.

The author of this mod used and screwed up my NGP physics in an unacceptable way, and even worse, without asking for permission.
The way the cars behave in this 2016 mod is just ridiculous. This is not NGP, but it was sold as NGP.
So I advised him to withdraw this stuff and develop physics on his own.

NGP is much more than a just bunch of R5 and WRC cars as we have vehicles from different eras, and for those interested you can find everything related to NGP at our GVRC site.

Apart from that, I seriously doubt that RBR is officially "abandonware", whatever this is supposed to be.
It is still sold, and I guess the sellers should have some kind of license to be allowed to do so.
Funny thing is although this mod consists of just the original game pimped with some of my plugins and raped physics, people downloaded it like mad, just as if it were a new game.

Kind regards,
Uncle G.

Folks,

The author of this mod used and screwed up my NGP physics in an unacceptable way, and even worse, without asking for permission.
The way the cars behave in this 2016 mod is just ridiculous. This is not NGP, but it was sold as NGP.

NGP is much more than a just bunch of R5 and WRC cars as we have vehicles from different eras, and for those interested you can find everything related to NGP at our GVRC site.

Apart from that, I seriously doubt that RBR is officially "abandonware", whatever this is supposed to be.
It is still sold, and I guess the sellers should have some kind of license to be allowed to do so.
Funny thing is although this mod consists of just the original game pimped with some of my plugins and raped physics, people downloaded it like mad, just as if it were a new game.

Kind regards,
Uncle G.
Hi Uncle G.
You do realise that no one was actually selling it? And it is still available to download with an easy search on google. But if the author did steal your stuff without asking and then credited it as his own stuff, well that's just bad and sad.

Hi Uncle G.
You do realise that no one was actually selling it? And it is still available to download with an easy search on google. But if the author did steal your stuff without asking and then credited it as his own stuff, well that's just bad and sad.

Of course I know that there was no money involved, other than the official sellers losing some. But this guy did "sell" this mod's physics as his own work.
The original links do not work anymore, so it has somehow been removed from Mediafire.
If that crap is still lurking somewhere on the net I just can't do anything about it.
NGP has some reputation out there, and this mod is a serious threat to it.

So you may understand that I am absolutely not amused about how things were going.

Still, it works nice. Pity about all the politics.

Yep! I tend to agree a bit, because it did help get me interested again.
I've been out of RBR for a few years and no longer race on-line, so had deleted RBR and RSRBR. I just didn't want to have to go through all the downloads, addons, and file modding involved with RSRBR simply to play it off-line, so I had wandered across to DR.
However, I saw this mod, noticed it was a simple install, but more importantly, it included those good looking mods by Uncle G (WorkerBee) which really sparked my interest. I knew how good Uncle G's work had been, so I was interested to see what new improvements he had developed since I "retired".
So I grabbed it while it was available, and didn't feel too guilty since I already owned a copy of RBR.

I've been running it quite a bit over the last week, and found it quite good, although the mix of cars seems a little unusual. I'm not sure what is wrong with the NGP physics used, but so far I've found the physics improved over vanilla RBR.
Anyway, thanks Uncle G for the link to your updated mods and other support info. Unfortunately, it's mostly in German, so somewhat difficult for me to wade through what I have to do to get a new updated version of RBR for me to use off-line. I know it will be worth it once I figure it all out. If only I could find a simple English tutorial or similar.

So, for me overall, this mod was useful and may have got me back into RBR. It's still an excellent Rally Sim and huge thanks to Uncle G and others for keeping it alive and improved.

And yes, I understand the reasons for it's removal, but the aims of the "compiler" were worthwhile.

Last edited:
Folks,

Kind regards,
Uncle G.

Thanks for clearing that up. :) ...and if this is the case, then I find it totally fair and acceptable.
For the record, I own a DVD copy of the game, I just wanted an easy to install, up to date way to play it. :D
Looks like I'll do it the hard(ish) way and grab all the stuff manually.
Thanks for your work on the NGPhysics, much appreciated.

NO chance you can upload it to mega.nz is their for me to download ?

No. Sorry. There was some conflict on how the mod had used somebody elses' work so that's why it was taken off here. I won't distribute it without that persons authority.

But saying that, I think the mod should be freely available. I disagree with Workerbee now. Why should it harm if people play the sim with this mod? The game is old now, many people have moved on to more modern sims. More people would get into the game if this easy to use mod was available. And I also disagree with his opinion that the author of this mod has ruined the physics. I have played it quite a lot and it's far better and more user friendly than the original and much better than the other RBR French mod thing that takes an age to sort out. No in my opinion this RBR 2016 full mod is the best thing that ever happened to RBR and it's a shame that we can't upload it here again. How about having it available on here but calling it Workerbee's RBR Mod?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing