Richard Burns Rally lag...

I posted this on RallyeSim but I think it'd be worth posting here too
Recently I built a new PC, and when I installed RBR and all the RSRBR jazz, my game lags. Every 2 seconds the game will lag for a split second, and it becomes very annoying! What's even more annoying is that I shouldn't be having any problems at all running a game like RBR with my rig. I've tried setting the affinity to just one core, messing with the graphics options, but nothing works. I've been at this for a couple weeks now so I'm hoping one of you here could help me out...

I also just reinstalled RBR and tried it vanilla and it still lags. I've noticed that scenery density seems to be an issue. On the Newbobs stage, the first section there aren't many trees around so my game runs fairly smooth (though there's still noticeable lag), then when I hit the forested section the lag really kicks in.

Here's my rig (pasted from the RSRBR tool)
Processeur : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Nb de core : 8
RAM : 8GB
Carte graphique : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Windows 7 64bit

As you can see there's no reason why I'm getting any lag at all in this game, I run everything else I have at max settings no problem at all, I'm really perplexed about this. RBR is one of my favorite games and I can't enjoy it on my new PC! :(

There are always couple of possible and somewhat surprising reasons that can cause framerate to drop adding to usual driver issues, and perhaps this is the right time to put something to public knowledge, even though they may not have anything to do with your problem, Nick C, especially since you have problems with a clean game as well. But let's see...

In the past (and perhaps even nowadays) having your Gmail account on was an interesting one because it single-handedly caused constant screen freezing, subtle or worse depending on your luck on any given day. So even though I'm not saying that something like Twitter would cause issues, but do not be surprised if it did. You might think "well that's just absurd, porridge's gone nuts, oh wait he's always been like that but now more nuttier than ever", but I'd advise you not to dismiss these theories instantly.

The same can happen with certain antivirus software, but this is way harder to prove unless you're forced to make a program update after which any issues would start. So better just move on.

Present: "HD" car skins. I noticed earlier in the year (January-February) that while the clean original skin of Fiesta WRC (yes, the boring one) caused no issues, installing a 4096x4096 skin downloaded from Rallyesim site was a disaster to say the least. And all that even if I used bumper cam. So when the car wasn't actually visible in the screen, the framerate was still a nightmare. It was like a good graphics engine all of a sudden changing to a codemasters one. :) I don't know if Rallyesim has introduced any of "HD skins" by default to any car or alongside their numerous updates, but I'd suggest one to try different cars with the same SS, and if there is a car that doesn't cause the issue, well... However it has to be said that the skin wouldn't necessarily be the problem in question 'cos there can be some other variables affecting the performance. But if someone ever found something, then the exact reasons could be asked from Rallyesim themselves.

I've tried enabling/disabling the v-sync in the Nvidia control panel, though I'm not quite sure what the "FixUp" plugin is?
Also I play fullscreen, haven't managed to get RBR to run windowed, so if you have any tips on that I'd appreciate it :)

And Porridge, I don't play with any Gmail or Twitter or any browser running the background, nor do I have any HD skins. I tried disabling my antivirus though that didn't help :( Thanks a lot of trying though, I really appreciate it!

VERY IMPORTANT I noticed different CARS will give you different FPS some cars lower some higher running the same stage, also different camera view of the car will have different FPS, hood view has the most FPS internal lowers FPS
make sure you UNTICK show car exterior in your camera views
further removed stutter with these graphics settings i'm using NVIDIA GTX650
richarburnsrally.ini WaitRetrace = false
vsync ON
anisotropic filter 4x
tripple buffering ON
texture filtering - neg bias - clamp
texture filtering anisotropic - ON
trilinear optimisation ON
shader cache - on
image sharpening - off
threaded optimazation - AUTO