Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ricciardo Aus GP.jpg

The awful luck that follows Daniel Ricciardo at his home Grand Prix continued today, effectively ending the race for the home hero even before turn one.

Ricciardo had high hopes of putting on a show in front of his adoring home fans in Melbourne today, however an unfortunate incident off the starting line would put pay to any heroics from the Renault man, putting Ricciardo out of contention for a result before the Renault even reached the end of the start finish straight pit wall...

Ricciardo would get a solid start off the grid once the lights went out, accelerating away from the line and having to place two wheels on the grass to avoid a slow starting Sergio Perez, only to find a hidden obstacle at the side of the circuit and spectacularly rip off his Renault front wing - pretty much removing any further significant participation of the driver for the remainder of the Grand Prix and resulting in a painfully slow lap back to the pits for repairs on his new car.

“I’ve had a look at the replay and it’s pretty much as I saw it from behind the wheel,” he explained. “No one to blame other than grass and then a big lump of concrete or something like a gutter. It was harsh, the bump.

“Obviously I didn’t want to go on the grass in the first place, but I had a run on [Sergio] Perez and for me the inside was the best place to go. I saw him move a bit so your natural reaction, because he was still in front at that time, was to move a bit more".

"That last bit of movement put my wheel on the grass, but even then I wasn’t concerned if I put two wheels on the grass, as I thought I could still carry the momentum. But pretty much as soon as I went on the grass there was the gutter. It’s just a shame it was over so quickly.”
The misfortune that has dogged Ricciardo at home continued, as the driver never really looked to be back in contention again throughout the remaining laps he drove on the circuit, eventually pulling the car into retirement later in the event.

Despite the disappointing setback to the start of his new relationship, Ricciardo has taken heart from the fact that Renault appear capable of producing solid pace from the new car, highlighted by a good recovery drive to seventh place by teammate Nico Hulkenberg in the sister machine. Ricciardo also hinted that the pressure of racing at home, and the media and fan expectations of the only Australian on the grid in Melbourne, played a part in reducing preparation time of the driver, something that shouldn't present a problem at the next race in Bahrain.

“I think we should be a top eight car all the first part of the season and then hopefully even better. I think Bahrain will be a bit easier. That’s like a holiday week – there’s really nothing going on, so I can actually prepare properly.

“For sure I’m frustrated because everyone expects so much, but the reality is I’ve got to show up on Sunday. And when the race is over in five seconds, whether it’s bad luck or not, I feel like the preparation wasn’t where it should be. So I feel a bit hard done by, but trying to please everyone.”
Despite a difficult start, potentially made worse by the apparent pace of his former team Red Bull, Ricciardo remains optimistic that the year ahead can still be a good one for one of the most likeable drivers on the current F1 grid.

For news, discussion and community, all with a overarching theme of Grand Prix racing - head over to the Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

He was almost crying while he looked at the scoreboard.
While Max was battling for podium with Ferrari and Mercedes he was standing in pitlane already (again). I felt so sorry for him. Although it was his own fault and choice.
Renault is at the same point as where they left last year.
At least a lap slower as the frontrunners, with occasional smoking engines.
Not a gap you are going to close in a season.

Christ!... this poor guy should just buy a few beers along with a ticket and sit in the stands as a spectator for all remaining Australian GP.
Never seen a driver have such bad luck at his home Grand Prix.
Every year he seems to have an issue there.
I was hoping for him to have a good debut at Renault.

Yeah, I also felt sorry for him. I really hope Ricciardo and Hulkenberg can score some podiums and become the ‘best of the rest’ team in 2019. However, Sainz’ Renault engine blowup so early in the race is not looking promising for Renault... But... still 20 races to go!

That was a good race for Melbourne, quite a few overtakes and plenty of other attempts.
Feel gutted for Dan, he got squeezed and kept his foot in it thinking he could drop a couple of wheels on the grass and keep going. It would have worked if it wasn't for that gap and drop off that he hit. No way he would have known it was there or could see it from the cockpit.

View attachment 296993
The awful luck that follows Daniel Ricciardo at his home Grand Prix continued today, effectively ending the race for the home hero even before turn one.

Ricciardo had high hopes of putting on a show in front of his adoring home fans in Melbourne today, however an unfortunate incident off the starting line would put pay to any heroics from the Renault man, putting Ricciardo out of contention for a result before the Renault even reached the end of the start finish straight pit wall...

Ricciardo would get a solid start off the grid once the lights went out, accelerating away from the line and having to place two wheels on the grass to avoid a slow starting Sergio Perez, only to find a hidden obstacle at the side of the circuit and spectacularly rip off his Renault front wing - pretty much removing any further significant participation of the driver for the remainder of the Grand Prix and resulting in a painfully slow lap back to the pits for repairs on his new car.

“I’ve had a look at the replay and it’s pretty much as I saw it from behind the wheel,” he explained. “No one to blame other than grass and then a big lump of concrete or something like a gutter. It was harsh, the bump.

“Obviously I didn’t want to go on the grass in the first place, but I had a run on [Sergio] Perez and for me the inside was the best place to go. I saw him move a bit so your natural reaction, because he was still in front at that time, was to move a bit more".

"That last bit of movement put my wheel on the grass, but even then I wasn’t concerned if I put two wheels on the grass, as I thought I could still carry the momentum. But pretty much as soon as I went on the grass there was the gutter. It’s just a shame it was over so quickly.”
The misfortune that has dogged Ricciardo at home continued, as the driver never really looked to be back in contention again throughout the remaining laps he drove on the circuit, eventually pulling the car into retirement later in the event.

Despite the disappointing setback to the start of his new relationship, Ricciardo has taken heart from the fact that Renault appear capable of producing solid pace from the new car, highlighted by a good recovery drive to seventh place by teammate Nico Hulkenberg in the sister machine. Ricciardo also hinted that the pressure of racing at home, and the media and fan expectations of the only Australian on the grid in Melbourne, played a part in reducing preparation time of the driver, something that shouldn't present a problem at the next race in Bahrain.

“I think we should be a top eight car all the first part of the season and then hopefully even better. I think Bahrain will be a bit easier. That’s like a holiday week – there’s really nothing going on, so I can actually prepare properly.

“For sure I’m frustrated because everyone expects so much, but the reality is I’ve got to show up on Sunday. And when the race is over in five seconds, whether it’s bad luck or not, I feel like the preparation wasn’t where it should be. So I feel a bit hard done by, but trying to please everyone.”
Despite a difficult start, potentially made worse by the apparent pace of his former team Red Bull, Ricciardo remains optimistic that the year ahead can still be a good one for one of the most likeable drivers on the current F1 grid.

For news, discussion and community, all with a overarching theme of Grand Prix racing - head over to the Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Wow !

Over 10 posts on Formula 1 over the past days and still zero follow up on the WRC 8 livestream from last Thursday ?

Are RD paid in some way ?

Danny Ric always have this tendency to be overly energetic, I mean for any reason or none at all, really! I guess it's his personality. But he just needs to put his head down and focus on the job ahead. Seek and destroy! Not jump around and crash!

...that F1 is a real life racing series, while WRC 8 is a friggin GAME!
Get out of your mom's basement! :p

Don't be [mod edit] by ignoring the fact that this is RD who blurs the line between real and virtual racing !

When Codemasters does anything it doesn't take long before we see a follow-up on RD !

When there are news about WRC 8 - Nothing !

Go figure !

Last edited by a moderator:
When there are news about WRC 8 - Nothing !

Well, its because I'm one person trying to do this, keep up a hard IRL job, be part of a young family, renovate my house, create video content, watch motorsport and, occasionally, actually enjoy this hobby. So my apologies if I've missed something with a WRC 8 live stream that took place months before the actual game is due to release.

I'll catch back up - eventually.

Anyway, why so obsessed with this, I've seen you post it in a different and totally unrelated topic to the game - are you being paid by KT Games? ;) :D

Well, its because I'm one person trying to do this, keep up a hard IRL job, be part of a young family, renovate my house, create video content, watch motorsport and, occasionally, actually enjoy this hobby. So my apologies if I've missed something with a WRC 8 live stream that took place months before the actual game is due to release.

I'll catch back up - eventually.

Anyway, why so obsessed with this, I've seen you post it in a different and totally unrelated topic to the game - are you being paid by KT Games? ;) :D

Paul !
I am not obsessed !
RD is (was) my goto website when it comes to racing games/sims !
Actually I was just about to get Premium when the DR 2 Masterpiece post landed !
RD to me, used to be a great unbiased website with great content but all good things must come to an end I guess.

Paul !
I am not obsessed !
Actually I was just about to get Premium when the DR 2 Masterpiece post landed !
RD to me, used to be a great unbiased website with great content but all good things must come to an end I guess.

Well you are welcome to your opinion sir, and sorry you feel that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong...

Paul !
I am not obsessed !
A simple Google search will provide the information you seek. You honestly can't expect RD to cover every single racing event that happens daily? That would be quite a task. Also mentioning the Premium subscription as suggestive leverage provides an insight to your thought process. You might want to rethink your approach. Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 97 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 145 13.8%