Ricciardo: "Nothing Missing" at Renault F1

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ricciardo.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo claims that "nothing is missing" for Renault to be successful in Formula One soon.

With the seven-time Grand Prix winner having moved over from former World Champions Red Bull for the 2019 season, the ever smiling Australian claims that from what he has seen of his new Renault team, the squad have all the ingredients to go on and challenge for regular top positions in the years ahead.

Speaking at the launch of the all new R.S.19, Ricciardo believes he is in the right position for the next stage of his career, and is impressed with the work undertaken by the French squad so far:

"I was here in December and there was a lot of noise and construction going on, and already that is up and finished and going. They've worked hard over the winter and that is one positive that I've seen initially, the work ethic.

"I will be the first to say it: by the end of the season you are ready for a break and have time off. But I know there are a lot of people here who didn't have time off and that is just a sign for me that they are hungry, which is really positive."
With the infrastructure seemingly in place at Renault already, Ricciardo claims that the team are already well set to rival his former Red Bull outfit - claiming that all the tools appear to be in place for a successful future with the team that took Fernando Alonso to his two World Drivers Championships in the mid 2000's.

"I haven't walked past anything yet (at the factory) and said: 'Red Bull had that, you guys needs that." said Ricciardo during the new car launch. "So it is not anything in particular which I feel we are missing"
Despite these words of positivity from the new driver, Ricciardo was quick to point out that work remains to be done before the team can expect to pick up from where Red Bull left off last season, but the 29-year-old appears to be more than ready for the challenge ahead.

"Since 2016 it is pretty awesome what they have done, so to keep going in that trajectory, saying okay you got fourth last year you need to get third this year, it is not as simple because the gap to the top three is pretty big.

"But ideally we just close that gap. Sure, if it does jump us into the top three then all well and good, but it is still a big gap. So as long as we make inroads that has to be a pretty successful year."
Do you think Ricciardo, Hulkenberg and Renault can challenge the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull this season?

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I don't think renault will be able to challenge mercedes and ferrari but im not sure about redbull as they now have honda engine.. i hope to see renault fighting for the 3rd place of constructor championship against redbull and yeah if they could get at least one podium i would be so happy

“Closing the gap 2019 edition.” A fairytale by Cyril Abiteboul.

Though I really hope for the Hulk and the honey badger they finaly really get a good car and a fast and reliable engine to (finally) join the front league. A reliable 2018 c-spec engine and a way better chassis would be a good starting point.

I think his facial expression tells it all. :p

It is practically impossible to anyone but the top 2 to win next year. Only when both of the mercs and ferraris are out does someone else get a chance. Even podiums are going to be super rare.

Ricciardo really didn't have good choises for this year. Either stay at red bull when the team is being built around max and hope the honda engine someday will be at least average while most of the time being a horrible failure. Renault is not much better either. Destined to be p4 or even p5 if force india does what they usually do. Red bull still have good enough chassis to stay in front of the mid field. Renault can be happy if they stay in p4 and their only hope for that is that stroll fails totally at force india. Which is likely and I expect perez to totally dominate stroll. P3 is too far ahead and the P1 and P2 are basically a different series.

I think his facial expression tells it all. :p

It is practically impossible to anyone but the top 2 to win next year. Only when both of the mercs and ferraris are out does someone else get a chance. Even podiums are going to be super rare.

Ricciardo really didn't have good choises for this year. Either stay at red bull when the team is being built around max and hope the honda engine someday will be at least average while most of the time being a horrible failure. Renault is not much better either. Destined to be p4 or even p5 if force india does what they usually do. Red bull still have good enough chassis to stay in front of the mid field. Renault can be happy if they stay in p4 and their only hope for that is that stroll fails totally at force india. Which is likely and I expect perez to totally dominate stroll. P3 is too far ahead and the P1 and P2 are basically a different series.
His eyes look crossed in that picture, for sure.

It is too easy to bet on favorites Mercedes/Ferrari so me I will bet on Renault this year because both Ricciardo/Hulk are experienced drivers and Renault is not really a newbie in f1 : you forgot too quickly their former champion titles.
Moreover Ricciardo is my favorite F1 pilot because he drives good (several wins/podiums in his career), he doesn't say bad things on other pilots and he is always smiling : he is as cool as Fonzy (Happy Days) :)

At least finally, we will see if Honda is really a bust. I am watching out for Kimi, Danny Ric, Leclerc, Norris and Russell this 2019. I think all else are meh, or the same... Honestly, I wanted a third contender that will shock and awe Ferrari and Merc. I don't see any anywhere else except Danny Ric and Renault. Well, maybe Max V, and Honda? But I'm not betting on it.

Moreover Ricciardo is my favorite F1 pilot because he drives good (several wins/podiums in his career), he doesn't say bad things on other pilots and he is always smiling : he is as cool as Fonzy (Happy Days) :)

Exactly why he is my favorite driver. He is a true sportsman. And I try like hell to be like him when something bad befalls me online.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%