Rhys's Steak Thread

Why? Because we can.

Post steaks you've cooked in this thread and help your fellow RD Steak lovers work up an appetite!

I'll start off, with a thick-cut T-Bone I had for dinner tonight. From sight, it seemed about 3cm thick when raw, and had a nice big fillet section...

497fGPM.jpg

Ka9Trpv.jpg

Heavily seasoned with salt and ground pepper, and into the pan!

5G0A3y7.jpg

Add some beer batter chips, buttered broad beans and a Kopparberg on the side, and this is a nice way to spend an Autumn Friday night!

t1MJoXT.jpg

Finally, some pics of the fillet when cut. For my first real thick-cut steak done entirely in the pan, I think I did pretty well to get a nice, even medium-cooked piece of meat!

i93DPSJ.jpg

TBU031a.jpg

So how about you guys? Show what culinary wonders you've been crafting in the steak kitchen. :)

I need a better camera,
Beef Wellington:
740909_10151166930716680_632579244_o.jpg

Served with: Asparagus, spinach-filled tomato(heated in oven) and raw-fried potato. The beef wellington consists of puff pastry(right?) filled with a tenderloin covered in a thin layer of mustard, champignon-purèe and dry cured ham!
738287_10151166930726680_967701678_o.jpg

Homemade Lasagne (that means, homemade tomatosauce, pasta and meat from an animal my friend shot! And yes, I know I lack something in the lasagne ;) )
402732_10150420131131680_630318525_n.jpg

And tons of more I don't have pictures of! :p
If it hadn't been for the simple reason that I cannot be bothered to make food 8-12 hours a day, I would've taken a slightly different education than I have :)

EDIT: Woopsy! Never saw the "steak" criteria, I only guessed you called the thread something with steak because that's what you made! Sorry! ;P I won't edit though! I want to brag (or look like an idiot :D)

Ewww!
It's still raw! ;):D

So you like yours charred to ash, hmmm? :p I've read stories from people who marinate their steaks raw and just eat them like that! One guy said something along the lines of "I want mine to taste like I've literally just torn it off the animal..." :speechless:

Here's another one I did last night. I went on a shopping trip to get supplies for my family's dinner - my mum wanted me to get Y-bone/Blade steaks, but she knows I despise them because of that horrid ribbon of gristle. So for my own dinner, I was given freedom to choose what I wanted.

I searched around a little bit and by chance I stumbled upon this beauty up the back of the shelf - a 450g Porterhouse. For AU$10 it was pretty good value!

PoycD8M.jpg

Resting. I slightly overestimated how long it would take to cook it, due to the steak's thickness. A little charred in places, but definitely not burnt to a crisp.

SHbo8hX.jpg

OGMDRC6.jpg

A bit more well done than I wanted it to be, so I wasn't expecting much. But I was surprised at how good it was all things considered - it was very juicy and had a very intense flavour.

I'll update next time I get hold of a good specimen...

Mmmm wish I had some cuts like that in my fridge! I got some shots of some breaded steak n onions I made the other day when I get a chance I'll upload and add to the steaky goodness of Rhys' thread :)

Ewww!
It's still raw! ;):D

So you like yours charred to ash, hmmm? :p

Nah, just nicely grilled through the whole way but still juicy, kinda like below but without the pink... ;)
I'll post some soon too...

I've read stories from people who marinate their steaks raw and just eat them like that! One guy said something along the lines of "I want mine to taste like I've literally just torn it off the animal..." :speechless:

Yeah, Ive heard of & known a few folks like that, welcome to worm-ville I reckon...:roflmao:

OGMDRC6.jpg

Oh, & I know this is a Steak thread, but Bacon should always have some crunchy bits & some floppy bits & on a BBQ, Fried Onions should be a mix of nearly cooked & almost over cooked!
:laugh:

Holy *whatever you might keep holy*
You really do eat quite a lot of meat don't you? :p

If it weren't for human dietary requirements and the fact that vegetables/legumes/grains add so much to meals and taste great to me, I'd be a carnivore. Meat is my favourite part of any meal. ;)

I had another steak dinner on Thursday night!

For this one, I decided to try for the first time a technique I'd read about: searing the steak in a pan and then roasting it in the oven until it's done.

While shopping, I stumbled upon this beauty... a 526g Scotch/Rib eye.

K8nSTke.jpg

Sear it, put some butter and garlic salt on top, and into the oven for 25 minutes at 180C...

5GoL4A2.jpg

...And you get this.

lSxob4u.jpg

It was a bit of a haphazard dinner, but I managed to make it work. The buttered broad beans made a return, and I also added some dim-sims. My brother and mother came back home with their own food, and I later got 2 KFC hot and spicy drumsticks.

w1mrkgO.jpg

When cut open, the steak was a lovely, healthy shade of pink (sorry Lee... ;)).

WSGJhW5.jpg

The garlic seasoning added so much to it, too. Tender, juicy, fragrant and tasty. For my first time trying the sear-and-bake cooking method, I'm pretty proud of that effort! I might do this for any future cuts over 400g.

Till next time...!

I seem to have neglected this thread a bit. Here are some I did a few weeks ago.

I went to a local wholesale market and found these premium scotch fillets. Thin-cut, but insane marbling!

VxqfYI1.jpg

I fried them and then cooked them in a small benchtop oven to save space. You can see it in the background holding some salt and pepper squid.

dqd0jxp.jpg

And here is the meal. One and a half steaks, and on the side, 1) a salad of tomato, snowpeas and avocado, and 2) some fried Enoki mushrooms.

w2DYcxi.jpg

To my dismay, I overcooked the steak by my own standards - I probably should have just fried it and left it at that. All the same, it had a beautiful flavour and melted in my mouth, which is what scotch fillet should be like. The marbling certainly helped. Overall happy!

bB5FbK9.jpg

More coming soon...

I'm back!

Going to go back in time a bit, to late May. Me and the family were having a getaway in a rural area, in a house my Mum's friends kindly lent to us for the stay.

I brought along this - a bone-in rib steak, again in the 500g range.

Qx5ccOH.jpg

I employed the sear and bake strategy once again:

FwhY5ff.jpg

ie91jeD.jpg

But what is this? No pink? Dammit, I've overcooked it!

XkX1irq.jpg

But not so fast... it was a lovely, tender piece of meat, and the treatment I'd given it ensured that it was full of tasty, melty, buttery goodness. A potential disaster gone strangely right...

I'll be clearing my back catalog of steak pics, so stay tuned for a few more!

About time I posted a new update.

Found these at my local IGA, some fine scotch fillets!

CmY3NGj.jpg

I've started using my family's old cast iron frying pan with great results, and I intended to do the same with these. Yet again, I experimented with preparation methods - this time I salted the steaks raw and left them for about 45 minutes for the salt to osmose and impart some flavour.

EwwwvGl.jpg

Into the pan! Instead of flipping only once, I employed Heston Blumenthal's method of flipping once every 30 seconds or so.

ETZ7dXV.jpg

They turned out great! Some simple vegies and paired with an ice cold Herrljunga pear cider...

kLk871y.jpg

And the money shot. It seemed that it was far too salty for my preference, but the steak was cooked to a nice medium to medium-well and was tender and juicy. Basting the steak with butter near the end of the cooking helped, too.

dmJJFHv.jpg

Where to now, I wonder? Planning on going to my local butcher (whose meat is extremely tasty) and asking for a 700g cut of rib eye or T-bone with the heaviest marbling they can find. We'll see...

Haven't got pictures to hand, but my steak speciality is as follows:

10oz sirloin/ribeye
Mix 1 crushed up beef stock cube with some vegetable oil into a paste and coat the steaks. Leave to sit for 30-40 minutes, add some salt & ground pepper before BBqing.

Delicious flavour!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back