Rfactor2 Test Season: Settings and Setup Thread

this is the ffb extract from my controller.ini file located in...

C:\Users\Davie\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player

[ Force Feedback ]
Type="1" // Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble/gamepad 4=custom
Ignore controllers="0" // Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)
Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)
Steering effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)
Off-road multiplier="0.00000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)
Steering torque filter="20" // Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)
Steering torque per-vehicle mult="1.20000" // Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)
Steering torque zero-speed mult="0.45000" // Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque
Steering torque sensitivity="1.00000" // Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high
Steering torque extrap time="0.01000" // Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)
Steering torque extrap blend="0.00000" // Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)
Steering resistance type="0" // 0=use damping, 1=use friction
Steering resistance coefficient="0.10000" // Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
Steering resistance saturation="0.10000" // Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0
Steering spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
Steering spring saturation="0.10000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
Rumble strip magnitude="0.00000" // How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
Rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
Rumble strip pull factor="0.00000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
Rumble strip update thresh="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
Jolt magnitude="0.00000" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
Throttle effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
Throttle effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
Throttle spring coefficient="0.10000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
Throttle spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
Brake effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
Brake effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
Brake spring coefficient="0.30000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
Brake spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
Clutch effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
Clutch effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
Clutch spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
Clutch spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
Gearbox effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
Gearbox effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
Gearbox spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
Gearbox spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
Other spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers
Other spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers

these settings arent far from default at all but if youd like to test them then save your ini file and copy this in place, if you dont like it then copy your original back :thumbsup:

Nice David, you should also post your exact GPU data; it's an 6950 or 6970 I guess ^^

Ok my Display-settings with a GTX 760 on a 1080p single screen:

Control-Settings (G27):
Exxeg. Yaw: 0%
Head Movement: 60%
Steering Wheel range: ~ 360deg (depending on car)
car specific FFB mult.: 0.8 - 1.0 (depending on car)
FFB smoothing: 12-14
pedal sensitivities: depending on car, usually between 50% and 100%
rest same as David

player.plr - changed lines:

Rearview Driving="1" // 0=Off, 1=Center+Sides, 2=Center, 3=Sides (virtual mirrors only, in-car mirrors are on/off), applies to nosecam, cockpit, and TV cockpit

Max Framerate="119.00000" // 0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)

(= 120 fps; without a framecap, you will have crazy fps and gpu-power consumption in the menu's, also the game runs very smooth this way)

Video Res:
AA: Level 4
1080p resolution
rest same as David

My game runs at 120 fps this way at most situations.

Last edited:
Just a few pointers off the top of my head... Some apply to rF1 aswell.

- With special effects turned off, you don't get visual tire deformation. That is enabled when it's set to low, on the player car and other cars.
- There's some suggestion that rF2 is prone to crashing with soft particles turned off. So if you're getting random crashes, maybe try turning that on.
- The "exaggerate yaw" option will turn the camera based on the difference between the direction the car points and it's heading. If you ever saw the camera angle left/right when spinning out in rF1, that's what this does. 0% will leave the camera pointed straight ahead at all times, but this apparently influences that mysterious type of 'feel' you hear so much about in sims but no one can explain. :p
- I'd suggest turning "Cockpit Vibration Mult1" and "Cockpit Vibration Mult2" to 0.0 in your PLR file. These add arbitrary vibration effects to the camera which don't occur in the physics simulation. Any further vibrations caused by rough road surface, riding curbs, etc. will still show if these are 0, because those are adjusted by "head movement" in your control settings.
- Some control schemes by default (like the G25) don't let you downshift into neutral. If you can't downshift to neutral from 1st, try pulling both paddles simultaneously. This is to prevent accidentally putting the car in neutral during rapid downshifting, and is also present in a lot of road cars. You can enable/disable this with the "Alternate Neutral Activation" parameter in your controller.ini file.
- If you ever sign up for a night race, test it offline first!. Some tracks have impossible visibility in the dark, but you can improve this by trying different HDR profiles, or turning HDR off completely. You do not want to be surprised by this. Trust me.

brake pressure :thumbsup: i use around 70-78% never more with g25.

its a new way of braking too anthony, its not like gtr where we can hammer down the pedal, its got to be a more controlled brake, brake then ease off very quickly, if you hold for too long youll lock up the fronts or lock up the rears and youll be overtaking yourself.

I'll start us off with the settings i use to play rf2, ill post my ingame settings and logitech settings.

i use logitech g25 and my system specs are in one of these screenshots :thumbsup:

How can you live with such a low throttle sensitivity and braking dead zone?! I used to lower throttle sensitivity a bit in the FISI, but personally I find it better to modulate it myself as the lower sensitivity makes it more of an on off switch, which is off until I am at full throttle :D

theres no braking deadzone, thats what its like after setting minimum and maximum with g25 pedals.

the throttle was far too sensitive for me at 100%, i can still modulate the throttle with 0% helps me get the foot planted quicker

brake pressure :thumbsup: i use around 70-78% never more with g25.

its a new way of braking too anthony, its not like gtr where we can hammer down the pedal, its got to be a more controlled brake, brake then ease off very quickly, if you hold for too long youll lock up the fronts or lock up the rears and youll be overtaking yourself.

Thx David,:thumbsup: I had to reduced it to 68 to be able to brake properly but I like how realistic it feels compared to race07..

Has the track map plugin been updated lately? I found it incredibly useful when I had it, but crashing problems lead to me giving it up. Was something like 1/100 times I went to the track, my rF2 crashed. And I didn't like those odds in league environments.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 338 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%