Rfactor2 Test Season : Calender and General Discussion

My apologies for not making the race. I was still up at 2:30am trying to get my PC ready, but in the end I ran out of energy and crashed into bed. I feel like lotus chasing my tail. Week 1 my seat snapped the day before the race so I spent the night installing a new seat which happened to have different sized rails. Last week my primary hard drive died the night before the race so I reinstalled windows and managed to get steam running. Last night I installed windows on the new SSD I bought and tried to get RF2 running. I couldn't get more than 20fps and my controller settings were a complete disaster. I'll try the drivers that David has recommended and hopefully I'll be all sorted for Race and RF2. Sorry again.

Tim.

i didnt mention them lasting the whole race, that was april and nicolas :D

but my tyres were actually all still in the 80%'s when i crashed out on lap 13 or something? i think your just driving the tyres too hard anthony, youll learn to stop that, sliding, wheelspin, lockups all take tyre life away, lockups being a huge part of it.
I may have killed my tires. I thought it was the brakes but probably not, I have to try driving more like Jenson Button.
I have set the brake pedal very stiff and still I lockup at least once each lap. Would it work better if the brake % were lowered in the game? What brake % do you use guys?

I use about 70% but I'm thinking of trying it even lower as I am really aggressive on the brakes and still was locking up at pretty much every braking zone. My front tyres took a beating rears not so much but I was trying very hard and wasn't expecting to have been in pole which in turn made me drive harder than I could but next time I will spend more time practicing only had about 2 hours.

I've got a long history of being gentle on my tires. This has been the case during pretty much my entire time in Race 07 and rF1 aswell. My first venture into league racing was driving a GT3 car in an 'iron man' type endurance league in Race 07, which no doubt built this foundation in my driving.

A lot of drivers have suggested I'm losing out by being so careful though, and they're probably right. If I drive more aggressively on my tires, then there probably is more to be had in overall pace. This is something I definitely need to practice in the F3000, where you lose more to heavy fuel than you do tire wear. So for me, fuel is the big deciding factor between 1 and 2 stop in regular Presto.

Perhaps this helped me at Melbourne, as I was averaging between 1.3% and 1.5% average tire wear per lap during practice. My left tires were both in the red by the end (which is beyond 50%), but were still hanging on fine. What's more, since we can't refuel the FR3.5 (reliably, at least), pit strategy is entirely dictated by tire wear. And that seems to be how I excel. :D

The Motec data log didn't record properly, however. So I've had to salvage lap times from the results XML file. After that, I estimated tire wear based on what I had in practice. The tire wear estimates are a little on the pessimistic side, as driving in traffic tends to exacerbate tire wear. And on top of that, Nicolas used me for overtaking practice during the last 10 laps or so. Which is good, because that probably makes this data more relevant to actual racing rather than just cruising around a track. Plus, it livened things up after everyone else crashed out :)

TireWearMelbournePresto.PNG

I completed 38 laps, and set my fastest race lap on lap 32. I had a few excursions and mistakes, but I wouldn't fault the tires for that, which is what those spikes are in lap time. Not pit stops. Consistency's a problem for me in this car, though one that's swiftly improving. :)

One problem I think may come up later though is fuel consumption. Drinking 2.68 liters per lap, I estimate I burned 103 liters during the race, and carried an additional 4 to make sure I had fuel for the formation lap and didn't stutter on fumes at the end. 3 liters short of the maximum tank capacity of 110.

That may not be a problem though. We may find ourselves in a situation later at other tracks where improving fuel consumption will be critical to finishing the race. Which is a challenge I'm 100% in support of. :)

See you there Valter :thumbsup:, I have only practise a couple times myself its all part of the learning experience and we practise when we can quite a busy schedule this season myself to.

One thing is even a couple laps feels pretty awesome isi's Sepang ! more the merrier !, just :( I missed the 1st couple races and vrws fr3.5, so im behind my own rf2 practise schedule. :laugh:

Also I'll be on tonight for some practise. :thumbsup:

cool guys, no worries :thumbsup:

i think unless we get another 4-5 drivers in to make it worthwhile we would be best just cancelling this one, we'll just remove it from the calender altogether instead of trying to fit it in somewhere, intrest seems to be on the downward slope for these tests at the moment, probably because of the ongoing season in race07.

we'll see what happens by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

It's hard to find time to practice at the mo. Having to spend more time with the other half as she works all weekend and hardly see each other at the mo. Although she seems to be gaining interest in my sim racing with you guys and watches all my presto races and helps when I need it with pit stops :) And also I think she wants to learn to race which will be fun

We going to use new build tonight ? Says better collision model. I'll awaken around 5,6 pm tonight.

Also FYI to new guys who haven't got rf2 new demo content out with the Honda civic btcc and Silverstone combo, which if anyone has driven quite a powerful fwd car will feel pretty amazing along with probably the best track so far.

And have fun Nico :)

I'll be, like most other norwegians in easter, in the mountains skiing (leaving tomorrow) so I will not be able to attend. :(

I'll see if I can post a picture via my mobile phone from my winter wonderland (cabin) :)

Good luck and have fun to all that make the race :thumbsup:
I am a little jealous mate, but on the other hand, here in the river delta it's already motorcycle season. Have a nice Easter holiday!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 323 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.3%