rfactor2 doesn't start anymore after public beta try

Tried installing new public beta, go to car selection and track, but I don't like it, so removed beta and back to 'old' rf2.
Now, after a couple of error of ' Rfactor2 failed to allocate a section of memory', I go to menu, then select car and track but after this nothing more happens. Disk light blink but RF2 never bring up track loading screen,

Tried check of local files from steam, tried deleting bin,bin32 and bin64 folders (steam redownloaded them) but no changes.

If i remove rf2 from steam, all my payed item and subscripted item will be back again when reinstalling ?? It my username and pass from steam enough to reinstall it all ???

PS: other games, AC, ACC, RRE, Automobilista still run, so seems not a steam trouble

I5 7600K, EVO 970 M2, 1080 TI, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB

Thank you a lot and sorry for my 'English'
Mexxx

Last edited:
Apparently old version Skin packs maybe a cause.
Un install all packs before starting rF2.
You may need to use the old version off UI to start the launcher to do this. My PC died and can't check but it's my understanding the new UI hasn't got the launcher anymore. All the stuff that was enabled through the launcher is now in the main UI.

Be a good idea to uninstall all third party tracks and cars that are in the Package folder before opting into the UI Beta. Don't delete them, just uninstall. You may be able to install them again once rF2 is up and running.
Not Skins Pack tho. They will need to be updated by their authors.

Last edited:
reverted to default ui in main menu, changed resolution to 1024x768, it started again, so then back to 1980x1024 and now it's all ok. Cannot figure what was going wrong…...thank you all
I'll wait for a stable ui....

mexx

Apparently old version Skin packs maybe a cause.
Un install all packs before starting rF2.
You may need to use the old version off UI to start the launcher to do this. My PC died and can't check but it's my understanding the new UI hasn't got the launcher anymore. All the stuff that was enabled through the launcher is now in the main UI.

Be a good idea to uninstall all third party tracks and cars that are in the Package folder before opting into the UI Beta. Don't delete them, just uninstall. You may be able to install them again once rF2 is up and running.
Not Skins Pack tho. They will need to be updated by their authors.
Wouldn’t have a clue which is third party or bought mods,that’s another problem with this game,nothing is tagged properly as “bought“ or “official” content.

You can actually mistakenly buy stuff again you already own due to this dodgy system.

Mr Magoo running Studio 397 atm.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t have a clue which is third party or bought mods,that’s another problem with this game,nothing is tagged properly as “bought“ or “officia” content.

You can actually mistakenly buy stuff again you already own due to this dodgy system.

In the launcher list off content anything that is Steam Subscribed want uninstall via the launcher.
You'll need to unsubscribe these mods via Steam and then restart the launcher. Steam will uninstall anything you have unsubscribed from.

Official content as a rule want uninstall even after unsubscribing from it. (Just another bug filled day at the office.)

Bought/paid for mods have been updated to work (supposedly) with the new UI so you need not worry about them. Plus they want uninstall via the launcher and nor do they show in your Steam subscribed list.
To access Paid mods
Open Steam app, Your name, (Steam name) Click on Inventory, Click on rFactor 2. Here can see what you own and unsubscribe or subscribe.

And Yes, It's a messy rubbish system that is just getting worse with every passing year.

It is a good idea to check your inventory when considering a new purchase so you don't buy what you already have.
A good rule I find is to buy Packs, Not individual item. Apart from the fact it's cheaper, you don't get court out trying to join a server that includes the full pack cars. No issues with skin packs. Even if you really hate a car (Radical) it want stop you enjoying the rest.

Tracks are for the most part single items. REIZA track pack would be the marked exception but still worth the wait (funding) to get the pack.

In the launcher list off content anything that is Steam Subscribed want uninstall via the launcher.
You'll need to unsubscribe these mods via Steam and then restart the launcher. Steam will uninstall anything you have unsubscribed from.

Official content as a rule want uninstall even after unsubscribing from it. (Just another bug filled day at the office.)

Bought/paid for mods have been updated to work (supposedly) with the new UI so you need not worry about them. Plus they want uninstall via the launcher and nor do they show in your Steam subscribed list.
To access Paid mods
Open Steam app, Your name, (Steam name) Click on Inventory, Click on rFactor 2. Here can see what you own and unsubscribe or subscribe.

And Yes, It's a messy rubbish system that is just getting worse with every passing year.

It is a good idea to check your inventory when considering a new purchase so you don't buy what you already have.
A good rule I find is to buy Packs, Not individual item. Apart from the fact it's cheaper, you don't get court out trying to join a server that includes the full pack cars. No issues with skin packs. Even if you really hate a car (Radical) it want stop you enjoying the rest.

Tracks are for the most part single items. REIZA track pack would be the marked exception but still worth the wait (funding) to get the pack.
Nothing shows as official or bought.

I’m afraid if I uninstall my game,all my bought content will be gone.

Mr. Magoo runs Studio 397.....

Mr. Magoo is actually better because he ends up solving problems.

Having same issue here.. I CAN run the "public-beta", but every since I ran it, I can no longer revert to stock launcher, or any other beta.. crashes on load.

for example picking 1117, game crash, and opt out of beta, game crashes, so stuck pn "public-beta".. PITA because the public beta does not allow me to manage non steam tracks at all.. have to navigate to 32 bit folder and run the external track manager from there. Guess the non steam tracks may be causing issues.. wonder if developer is dissallowing external mods and this is causing the issues?

They are not stopping external mods, but they are making changes that may affect many older tracks. Part of the new build message mentioned they will basically abandon 32bit soon. If there was a failure during exit, it may have corrupted one of your .json files. Try deleted or archiving the player.json and then go to steam to verify the files. See if it starts after that.
Good Luck.

gave that a try, no difference. I guess that was indicated by the fact that all the tracks DO work in the public beta and the DID work in the original version, something is introduced however when you choose public beta that overwrites original files from stock I guess. My last resort is complete iuninstall, wipe registry, reinstall and see if it then boots up. or hopefully the ability to add new NON steam content make sits way into one of the new betas, because outside of that issue i do actual prefer the new ui.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%