rFactor Problems With Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kyle Evers

• Kyle Evers

Hey all. I recently turned off my UAC (User Account Control) and now when I open rFactor I only get like half of my tracks. Plus when I look at my folder half of them are gone. But then if I turn UAC on again, they will all be there. Does anybody know why?

Dont need to turn off UAC.
Run EVERY game in administrator. If you do, all the saves, set, etc are saved in the game folder.
Your lost files are in your docs folder, maybe.
When you dont run in Adm mode, you files goes to you personal folders.

• Kyle Evers

Well see when I don't have UAC on and I run as Admin, half of my tracks or cars don't show up (like when I have UAC turned on and don't run as Admin - only some of the downloaded cars and tracks are there, not all). But when I have UAC on and I run it regularly, all my cars and tracks show up, but then anything I edited in my .plr doesn't work...

Last option is run as Admin with UAC off.

• Kyle Evers

Okay.

I always login as Admin. Before when I had UAC on, and I just normally ran rFactor, all of the tracks and cars show up (specifically referring to downloaded content). When I ran it as Admin, only a portion of my downloaded cars and tracks showed up.

Now that I have UAC off and I normally run it (logged in as Admin), the same portion of downloaded cars and tracks don't show up when I run it normally. When I look at my files, those unappearing tracks and cars aren't in my files either.

• Kyle Evers

Well I turned UAC back on and so now all of the files are there like before and if I run rFactor normally they will all show up, but if I run it as Admin, the cars that were not there when I had UAC of won't be there again.

And yes the missing cars are also the missing files and such, you get it.

• Kyle Evers

Well when I have UAC on, all of the files are there. When I run it normally, all of the cars and tracks will be there. But if I were to run as Admin, the same downloads that weren't showing up when I had UAC off would be missing again.

So if I run rFactor normally with UAC, all of the tracks and cars are there.

Ok, just installed it myself completely new.

Installed as Admin, I also had to installed the Mod as Admin (not possible as non-admin), tried a Nordschleife and a Caterham Mod and run it as regular user without any flaw.

I am not using UAC as it was causing problems for me, but am only working / gaming with a user without admin rights.

If somebody is missing a comfortable 'Run-As' under Vista, there is a small Add-On you can install to have a similar function as under XP.

Here is why:

UAC is used to temporary elevate your user rights, acting like an admin. With your normal, non-admin account you and UAC off you will never get the question to elevate rights.

You might have installed a few mods/tracks by extracting them to a temp folder (with only read permission for normal users/full control for admins). Then you probably moved it on this same partition to the rFactor\GameData\Locations. THen WIndows will move the permissions also resulting in readonly on those particular tracks/mods and then most likely not working correctly while starting the game.

You could try to login as Admin, change rights for the rFactor folder (and all subfolders) to the Users Group as Change rights.
But you need to do this everytime you move a new track again.

Easy solution is to make your normal user-account member of the local Administrators group. Of course this is a bit against Microsoft's policy in security. Its like XP was working :)

This is what I have found out as a recent convert to vista 64 and the pleasures of UAC.

Run as Administrator UAC On - If you install a game you can select the folder it will be in, so you can install it in D:\Games\... for example but the files relating to your profile will be in your documents folder. So my recently reinstalled GTR2 has this setup

Documents\GTR2\Gamedata
Documents\GTR2\ReplayData
Documents\GTR2\TimeTrial
Documents\GTR2\UserData
Documents\GTR2\Config.ini
Documents\GTR2\Sysinfo.txt

Run as Administrator UAC off

D:\Games\GTR2\Gamedata
D:\Games\GTR2\ReplayData
D:\Games\GTR2\TimeTrial
D:\Games\GTR2\UserData
D:\Games\GTR2\Config.ini
D:\Games\GTR2\Sysinfo.txt

So if you want to have all your files in the same folder then run as administrator with UAC off when installing.

• Kyle Evers

Okay. It's just strange though why some would be there and some not as I had never logged in on anything other than Admin and had never turned UAC off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%