Rfactor newbie

Like another poster, I dumped F12010 in search of something better with less rammers and crashers.

Played Rfactor for the first time this morning and have some questions if you dont mind.

Do you have to do career mode or can you get access to all cars?

For testing and qualifying do you have to drive an outlap or can you go straight into a timed lap?

I started an open wheel series career at a track i know quite well - Montreal. I messed around with the set up just a little bit, but was averaging about 16 seconds a lap slower than the A1. Am I doing something wrong or am I just totally rubbish?

Also, what do i need to do to get into F1 races?

1. Do you play rFactor without any mods? If so then you'll have to raise credits and unlock new championships.

2. Careers are there but you can also do test session, race weekends etc. But you can also mod your own championships.

3. You have to obey pitlane speeds (to prevent disadvantages for yourself), flags to a certain degree and you have to drive at least one out lap to get a timed lap, in laps aren't counted as a qualifiaction (timed) run too.

4. Setup is very important and can be quiet difficult because you have to find a stable compromise between being fast on the one hand and getting it right to your own "style of driving". Pit strategies can be important too. The difficulties for finding a good setup may also come with the many mods. However you should try not to go too fast in the beginning, instead try to drive "clean" and steady. It also depends on what level of "realism" you're playing (e.g. driving aids).

5. Have you ever considered to install one of the newer F1 mods? They might give you immediate access to the newer and classic race seasons easily.

After all, I'm no "pro-simer" so hopefully somebody else will provide you with help aswell. :)

16 seconds? Maybe you should turn the AI Strength down in-game.

I worked out I was racing open wheel against cars far better in class. I changed to trainers but was still 5 or 6 seconds a lap slower on a short track.
Im not completely useless (Dont know if it counts for anything but am probably in the top 500 for F12010 xbox time trials at nearly all circuits) so played around with set ups but other cars were just blasting past me on the straights. Also turned the AI down to 90%.

What level do most people run?

Any more advice would be appreciated.

You have to imagine to yourself that you have just landed into one of the biggest modding planets, and there is so much to see you cannot possibly see it all at once. You should maybe stop for a second and concider that F1 2010 is not the simulation rFactor is. There are many pages of script to show you how to use rFactor to your advantage, you will have to search for the answers as they come up. many would have had the same problems as you. You see the possibilitys of rf are almost limitless from a modders point of view. IMHO, Check to see what "Mods" (vehicles/cars/tracks/addons) in the download section of RD there are plenty to choose from. Get the Mod, get the track and get online. There are plenty of racing going on here @ RD, However there plenty of rFactor adoring forums/communitys/leagues/teams & racing elsewhere too. :) have fun.

on the AI thing maybe you should try to set it to 100% and try to catch them! :)

Do you guys an award for idiot of the year?
Finally worked out that getting your steering wheel out of the cupboard after 4 years an not re calibrating it, can lead to it only giving you about 80% of full throttle. Sorted it and now competing - so much more fun.

Can anyone help me with what mod to download, and roughly how to install.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, Mick Martin. HE LIVES! Long time no see!

Anyway Steve, what kind of racing do you like? You'll probably find a mod out there for more or less every series out there for rFactor. The WTM club events here always have a good turnout, but you need to be a licensed member to do that, you can apply by clicking the link below:

http://www.racedepartment.com/application-rules/

I guess the kind of mod you enjoy will depend on the racing you enjoy. The RSDG Megane mod is quite good for newcomers :)

Anyway Steve, what kind of racing do you like? You'll probably find a mod out there for more or less every series out there for rFactor. The WTM club events here always have a good turnout, but you need to be a licensed member to do that, you can apply by clicking the link below:

http://www.racedepartment.com/application-rules/

I guess the kind of mod you enjoy will depend on the racing you enjoy. The RSDG Megane mod is quite good for newcomers :)

Preferably something that attracts quite a few online players. I had a brief look at some servers and it seems there is such a wide variety of different mods, it spreads the online players a bit thin.

I haven't seen any sort of track pack for it so you will probably have to hunt the tracks down yourself.

Yes you can put as many mods in the game as you like, but if you are going to have a lot of mods, I would recommend having multiple installs (1 install per 5 or so mods) as this helps to prevent errors and makes things easier to repair if it does go wrong.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back