rFactor 2 | (Yet Another) New Build Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 continue their impressive pace of development and improvements today, with yet another fresh build of rFactor 2 having been deployed to the public build of the simulation.

Yes we had (several) new pieces of content, we've also enjoyed a pretty substantial new build release, and it looks like the fun is set to continue with another new build of rFactor 2 that was made available to download within the last couple of hours.

The new build is more an interim update than full blown revision of the software, however many of the fixes included in this update will likely be well received by the sim racing community. Of the more visually noticeable are surely the changes and improvements to the lighting and shaders, a recent focus of attention by Studio 397 but one that came with some unexpected issues for older content.

You can check out the full list of improvements in the change notes below - don't forget to tell us what you think of the current state of progress with rFactor 2 in the comments section at the end of this article!

Update Notes:
  • Improved logging to help us diagnose issues and run smoother.
  • Lots of little UI fixes.
  • Added the option to configure custom overlays, a guide is here: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays
  • Several lighting tweaks to improve shaders and backward compatibility.
  • Fixed the lighting in the showroom.
  • Fixed some issues with the sky progress from dusk to night.
  • Fix for Logitech controller names which now include G-HUB.
  • Improved shader hashing, might make loading slightly faster.
  • Fixed suspension damage transfer during driver swap.
  • Fixed an issue where moving to the next session made some clients crash.
Known issues:
  • Dusk and night are a bit over-exposed at the moment.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rF2 Update 1.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you seeing the "numbers playing higher than ever"? Steam reports fewer than 1000 users at "peak" times.

Check again, 1500 or so peak users according to steamcharts.com. Also worth pointing out these are not all the unique users, people misinterpret the numbers. The peak number means concurrent users at any given time X, so over for example a day, total number of unique users who launched the sim will be higher than that.

Another update with fixes in such a short period of time. Lighting and shaders to make it look nicer
and more realistic. This is great, and the way to go.

By the way, when is the Ferrari GT3 coming out? will it be released singly too as the GTE? or will there be a track combo DLC with both cars?

virtual LeMans will be interesting, but running for 24 hours without a crash, that's quite a challange
if it works out though, it will be major boost for RF2 , well major :)

all the best
It would be interesting to know, if they will be running "stock" dedicated server or using special build. Hopefully there will be some blog post from Marcel after the event with some details.

PS. I'm hoping for linux-based dedi server.

Please Marcel Offermans create some Multiplayer dayly action for the vulgaris populum!

We want to continue loving RF2 but the lately kind of selling system item by item it remembers so much to the classic and hateful Iracing that offers a great Multiplayer system and because of that they can put some hight prices to the cars/tracks...

So sometimes we find mixed feelings, is there a way to solve that?

Thanks for the effort S397 puts in improving rf2 probably the best physics on these years BUT.....

PD: Uhh Could you unban me from the S397 forums? It has passed 1.5 years from my vid about the RF2 @ THE NEVERENDING USER INTERFACE , i think that was a reality, no need to keep angry after 1.5 years. Thanks, see you on S397 forums ...or not!

Last edited:
What's this? Another update? from a Sim that is supposedly dying!? Well I never, tracks, cars & updates in two weeks, numbers playing higher than ever....yeah - she's dying all right :rolleyes:

/sarcasm off

Great update, looking forward to seeing the changes soon :)

is dying, bro, maybe i can say that is with assisted breathing, the roadmap of this game has no course, one car paying few euros... one track paying more euros, in a few months a little bug fix of the eternal beta UI... years for have only a little content of laser scanned tracks and few official cars, without online stable system and less people playing than ever everyweek, and meanwhile AMS2 and ACC and AC growing and growing for the price of all DLC's of RF2 you can buy the other 3 games... i'm objective, is dead, is a frankenstein product with one car there other car there, an isolate track there... not focused in something, studio397 goes like a chicken without head... maybe the game will be finished before Elon Musk will finish the starship.

is dying, bro, maybe i can say that is with assisted breathing, the roadmap of this game has no course, one car paying few euros... one track paying more euros, in a few months a little bug fix of the eternal beta UI... years for have only a little content of laser scanned tracks and few official cars, without online stable system and less people playing than ever everyweek, and meanwhile AMS2 and ACC and AC growing and growing for the price of all DLC's of RF2 you can buy the other 3 games... i'm objective, is dead, is a frankenstein product with one car there other car there, an isolate track there... not focused in something, studio397 goes like a chicken without head... maybe the game will be finished before Elon Musk will finish the starship.

I'll stick to my glass half full philosophy personally, as I do for all Sims i drive regularly :) I much prefer to look at life with optimism, not persistent doom & gloom.

the problems you're having aren't mine.I may have a better configuration than yours and a cleaner windows?
Should I go on?
What is your point exactly? You happen to not have my bugs, so that means that these problems don't actually exist? Feels like you are one of the fanboys who deny any criticism towards their "precious game". Go on support forums and read about endless list of problems that "you are not having".

Got to say I'm not having any of those issues either...
Couple of major issues for this title that if resolved would make it great;

1.) Somehow fix the online so there are people playing in random lobbies... pick up and race real people is one of the many things that made AC great and also what is making ACC great too.

2.) If you can't fix 1.) Then please try and fix the AI.
I watched a YT vid earlier of the new Ferrari 488 GTE, (a truly amazing piece of content by the way), slipstreaming past cars at Le Mans and the AI were welded together by their bumpers blipping their brakes and not overtaking each other. It's the biggest immersion killer ever...

Check again, 1500 or so peak users according to steamcharts.com. Also worth pointing out these are not all the unique users, people misinterpret the numbers. The peak number means concurrent users at any given time X, so over for example a day, total number of unique users who launched the sim will be higher than that.

Numbers are pulled from Steam for everything but iRacing where they are pulled from the iRacing website

Aren't "peak concurrent" numbers the most important if you want to find others to race with?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 320 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.5%