rFactor 2 | (Yet Another) New Build Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 continue their impressive pace of development and improvements today, with yet another fresh build of rFactor 2 having been deployed to the public build of the simulation.

Yes we had (several) new pieces of content, we've also enjoyed a pretty substantial new build release, and it looks like the fun is set to continue with another new build of rFactor 2 that was made available to download within the last couple of hours.

The new build is more an interim update than full blown revision of the software, however many of the fixes included in this update will likely be well received by the sim racing community. Of the more visually noticeable are surely the changes and improvements to the lighting and shaders, a recent focus of attention by Studio 397 but one that came with some unexpected issues for older content.

You can check out the full list of improvements in the change notes below - don't forget to tell us what you think of the current state of progress with rFactor 2 in the comments section at the end of this article!

Update Notes:
  • Improved logging to help us diagnose issues and run smoother.
  • Lots of little UI fixes.
  • Added the option to configure custom overlays, a guide is here: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays
  • Several lighting tweaks to improve shaders and backward compatibility.
  • Fixed the lighting in the showroom.
  • Fixed some issues with the sky progress from dusk to night.
  • Fix for Logitech controller names which now include G-HUB.
  • Improved shader hashing, might make loading slightly faster.
  • Fixed suspension damage transfer during driver swap.
  • Fixed an issue where moving to the next session made some clients crash.
Known issues:
  • Dusk and night are a bit over-exposed at the moment.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rF2 Update 1.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously many factors play into the release schedule such as licensing deals and so on, so just because the released items seems to be erratic doesn't mean the devs are incoherent with their roadmap. I'm glad to see them getting updates to the public as they become available - OTOH when they take too long to fix a bug everybody screams about that, too.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my fear is they they are trying to release a lot of changes - like the PBR shaders - this soon before their big event

I launched it yesterday to see the Ferrari, and I used it on modded tracks, which looked horrible - but I supposet thy just need to be updated to latest shader updates

I will wait to see when LeMans gets an update, as that will be the track for the event ( obviously ) , to see what latest and greatest has RF2 to offer , but what I saw yesterday looked way worse then iRacing, let alone AC/ACC

So because you don't have those issues they aren't worth adressing?
on RD not really...
What is your point exactly? You happen to not have my bugs, so that means that these problems don't actually exist? Feels like you are one of the fanboys who deny any criticism towards their "precious game". Go on support forums and read about endless list of problems that "you are not having".
once, twice, three times ok but on every topic talking about rf2 it's a bit too much...
It's funny since we disagree with you then we're a fanboy...so you're just a hater that's right if I follow your logic...

on RD not really...

once, twice, three times ok but on every topic talking about rf2 it's a bit too much...
It's funny since we disagree with you then we're a fanboy...so you're just a hater that's right if I follow your logic...

Buddy, I think you are the one lacking logic here. I like this sim and I invested a lot of money in paid content, so I have every right to complain about issues anywhere I want. Since developers ignore the bug reports on don't even take time to respond. And all I hate are idiots that are blindly praising something with their money without a mental capacity to see shortcomings and point them out.

Got to say I'm not having any of those issues either...
Couple of major issues for this title that if resolved would make it great;

1.) Somehow fix the online so there are people playing in random lobbies... pick up and race real people is one of the many things that made AC great and also what is making ACC great too.

2.) If you can't fix 1.) Then please try and fix the AI.
I watched a YT vid earlier of the new Ferrari 488 GTE, (a truly amazing piece of content by the way), slipstreaming past cars at Le Mans and the AI were welded together by their bumpers blipping their brakes and not overtaking each other. It's the biggest immersion killer ever...

Number 2 thankfully is on @Marcel Offermans to do list. Hopefully it gets solved soon!

The truth is that the "king" of simulators actually ranks 5th in number of users. They are surpassed by AC, ACC, PC2 and RRE (if we include iracing, it would be 6th). And when AMS2 is released, RF2 will most likely move to an "honorable" 7th place. Something must be doing wrong S397, don't you think?

The truth is that the "king" of simulators actually ranks 5th in number of users. They are surpassed by AC, ACC, PC2 and RRE (if we include iracing, it would be 6th). And when AMS2 is released, RF2 will most likely move to an "honorable" 7th place. Something must be doing wrong S397, don't you think?

The "king" of sims probably never has been the most popular. It's on the same level like raceroom, since May doing better again.
In terms of AMS2, we have to wait. Don't think that hundreds of players from any sim move to it becoming their goto-one. And the player base of AMS1 is rather low.

Popularity, as in how many individual play the same game at a given point in time is far from the only matrix of the total value of a game. If the most popular was to be the best, then F1 is the uncontested “king”. President would be a better term anyway as a least they get to be president by popular vote. Does not mean they are any good either. LOL.

Some people appreciate some aspect of SIM racing more than other aspect. RF2 has a few tricks up it sleeve, almost in one trick poney situation, but for some it is all that matters, unfortunately for RF2, most people aspire to a more complete package, not limited to one trick.

To reach a wider audience Studio 397 needs to work a lot in improving the whole SIM experience or they are doomed to the faith they have had for many years.

The most practical approach is to enjoy RF2 for what it has to offer. It is not a “king” more like a prodigy child that did not aged into a complete artist.

Last edited:
These latest updates have resolved my long lasting issues with the sim - freeze bug, loading times, and slightly unrealistic color palette.
Now it looks really good and my FPS has gone from 50 to 100! These new shaders seem to do wonders.
As for the "king of sims" debate - apart from iRacing, I've tried every driving/racing simulator known to man.
rF2 gives me the most realistic road feel, it's like I'm driving for real, so natural.
No other sim gives me that feeling, not even close.
Until someone comes up with a more realistic FFB algorhytm, this is my king.

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.”
The King in Henry IV, Part 2 (3.1.31)

Kings aplenty in simulator land.

I've reached my limit with rF2 bugs and have a limited time/energy budget so...[presses button] rF2...uninstalled.
I'll check back in a year to see if it's worth reinstalling.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back