rFactor 2 worth getting?

I'm going to guess this has been asked 1 000 times ...but i wasn't there for the answer.lol

is this game worth getting or should i wait 1 year before lots of mods come out?
my birthday's coming up.

also, considering getting a monitor - to connect my laptop too as it's only 15.5 inch screen. anyone got any cheap/good quality balanced suggestions? i suppose i could spend 200 quid for a good lcd telly and wire it up but a mate suggested getting a monitor instead.cheers!

For me itś absolutely worth the money. Bought it on the day it came out and never had any regret or what so ever. There is enough content already to enjoy yourself. There are many mods already far in development, but most modders wait for game to come out the beta stage, before they give their "candy" to the world. :D

A good tellie is as good as a monitor, but for 200 quid..... Don't know... A good monitor isn't that expensive. I bought 3 22inch monitors for 300 euro's... Never had a single day of regret.

For me itś absolutely worth the money. Bought it on the day it came out and never had any regret or what so ever. There is enough content already to enjoy yourself. There are many mods already far in development, but most modders wait for game to come out the beta stage, before they give their "candy" to the world. :D

A good tellie is as good as a monitor, but for 200 quid..... Don't know... A good monitor isn't that expensive. I bought 3 22inch monitors for 300 euro's... Never had a single day of regret.
Thank you so much.
what is a beta?
have they released rfactor but updating it constantly or something?
and do you have rfactor to compare this too? I have rfactor 1 but just wondering if it's better physics or graphically better by miles (or just a bit). ty

have they released rfactor but updating it constantly or something?
Yes, basically an open testing stage.
Both graphics and physics are much better than rF1 but you also need a bit more power from the computer to run it with decent quality and good fps. In the start of open beta I could barely run it with low quality with 50 fps but now I can run with high quality with 60 fps. If you can run rF1 with medium quality with 100+ fps, you don't necessarily need an upgrade for your computer.
Watch some rF2 related videos and you'll know if you want it or not.

Yes, basically an open testing stage.
Both graphics and physics are much better than rF1 but you also need a bit more power from the computer to run it with decent quality and good fps. In the start of open beta I could barely run it with low quality with 50 fps but now I can run with high quality with 60 fps. If you can run rF1 with medium quality with 100+ fps, you don't necessarily need an upgrade for your computer.
Watch some rF2 related videos and you'll know if you want it or not.
thank you.is it a free beta at the min then?

I am thoroughly enjoying it. Build 90 has not been so buggy that's it's frustrating to me. But I'll take it, "warts an all". :) And this coming from someone who did not have rf1.

Luckily there are many forums and people around to help if you if you do have issues/questions. Just remember it's a work in progress and some things will be issues until further development.
What games are you currently playing? And what equipment do you have?

The answer to your question, depends on who you ask it I think.

If you ask me, then yes, it is.
If you ask my wife, she will tell you not to buy it :p :p

On a more serieous note.

If you expect a full working, complete and final product, do not buy it yet. Yes, with build 90 we are a long way in the right direction, but it is still not completely finished. Some features are not fully implemented yet, and improvements are made continuously.

If you want to enjoy that what is already in, then yes, buy it. It gives a LOT of joys driving this sim. To me, it's the most realistic driving experience I have gotten so far. The graphics are becoming fantastic at the moment, take a look at the latest screenshots to see what I mean.

So it all depends on what you expect out of it.

i have no regret,but either i am to much of a newb or have bad steering wheel setting, i just can't get along with RF2, any of the cars,the feeling , i am always 3-4sec off the pace and i am pushing as hard as i can...but the game is truly amazing,buy it!
You can practice with me since I can use it :)

To me, rFactor 2 feels like a living, breathing world even more than any game I've played because of the procedural effects like rubber, tire wear and weather.
If you have a wheel then rFactor 2 has the best FFB I have ever felt. You will get white knuckles and wish you had spent more time at the gym :)

Overall you should think of rFactor 2 as a "deep" simulator which you can peel many layers off before you have discovered everything. It might take you several hours before you can drive like you do in rFactor 1 or other sims.
I think everyone who dismiss it because of their first impression of the graphics are acting shallow and should play another "pick up and drive" game. To each their own...

rFactor 2 has another quality which it is somewhat a known quantity by now in the modding community (based on rFactor 1 and the beta) and it is quite open compared to other games which means you can customize it how you like.

Regarding the monitors you can compromise between
  • cheaper low response time TN-panels (ASUS, BenQ)
  • better color quality and viewing angle IPS-panels (DELL, EIZO)
I think it's a matter of taste and I like TN-panels more. I might try the 3D ones one day :)

Hahaha I never asked as well ;). We are together for a lot of years now, so she knows me a bit :) I can get addicted to stuff very quickly :p. So when I told her I had bought rf2, and was going to do the staff work for that platform, she already accepted the fact that I would be behind the computer a lot :).

A well, as I always say, it's much better for your health then going to the pub 2 or 3 days a week :p :p

I 2 still lhave to learn a lot in terms of driving, and braking in particularly. Thats where I loose the races, on the braking. But although I know I will loose, and be at the back of the grid, I simply can't resist driving it. It feels so good to me, and I enjoy myself a lot behind the wheel. It's to me, SO much better then the other sims I played.

Reactions: tjc
Right now I'm using the G27 wheel with the Fanatec Clubsport pedals. Anyone know if it will support this combination? At least until I get my Fanatec 911 Turbo S dealt with.

Right now I'm using the G27 wheel with the Fanatec Clubsport pedals. Anyone know if it will support this combination? At least until I get my Fanatec 911 Turbo S dealt with.
Yes, that should work.
The only limitation there is, is in the nr of supported USB Controllers. I believe it's limited to 4 at this time.

I don't know if I have enough computer to deal with it though. RIght now I'm using the latest iMac (2.7Ghz i5) in Bootcamp mode to run my PC racing. Although it's amazing for Race 07 et al, don't know how rFactor2 would hold up. Hearing it will eat my computer for lunch. lol

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back