rFactor 2 Wishlist

Since it seems most things I'd want are already covered by other people. One thing I would like to see is deferred lighting + DX10 support. So you could have proper night races with all dynamic lighting from a lot of light sources, be they headlights, lights on the track, ect, maybe with some real time global illumination or SSAO effects.

Hi,
(first post so hello all, and thanks to Darren Stringer, Andy Oakley and Arron Maspero for introducing me to RD).

Re: rFactor2, one thing i'd wish for is offline gridding to be allowed by class rather than solely from qualifying sessions. The reason for this is we....that is to say me and the 3 listed above are all involved in sim racing formulae that rely on a league points grading to set grids, which is a reflection of the 'real life' sport. Online, not a problem, we all know our grades and how to line up.....but it's impossible to mimic this situation offline, so AI cars in sub-groups or sub-classes that can be used to form grids without qualification* is a must.

*talent files as part of the mod could provide useful data toward this, but asking not-computer-literate users to start activating batch files to form grids is a complete no-no.

Aside of that, all i'd ask from rF2 is a decent developers/modders toolkit from the outset.....now that RSC has crashed and burned, the main source of explanatory info for HDVs, PM, cam files, even cockpit ini files has disappeared, and we (as developers) are pretty much back to relying on community knowledge, snippets from other boards and old sites and such.....if ISI are so happy to promote the modding aspect of the game, i tend to think developer 'support' should be a given....

oh yeah also, i'd appreciate a bit more flexibility on things like front suspension layouts.....i've been involved in developing a car for a mod that featured double-wishbone front suspension with pushrod-activated rocker to inboard spring & shock...it's not rocket science but rF doesn't support that level of articulation (4 pivot points maximum?) so, while it looks ok it doesn't look as good as it could...

cheers :) wrighty

Since it seems most things I'd want are already covered by other people. One thing I would like to see is deferred lighting + DX10 support. So you could have proper night races with all dynamic lighting from a lot of light sources, be they headlights, lights on the track, ect, maybe with some real time global illumination or SSAO effects.

I like deferred lighting, but one thing you have to bear in mind is since the calculations for deferred lighting take place in screenspace, it can't handle transparant surfaces. Which might be a problem, given that so many cars have windscreens and windows. :p

I suppose one thing I'd like to see for the challenge is something similar to the cone challenges in PGR. You can see it in action , assuming you can put up with that horrible cover of Devil went down to Georgia.

The idea is cones are laid down on the track as obstacles for the driver. Green cones represent 'gates', which you get points for driving through. The rest simply have to be avoided. If you hit any cones, you suffer a time penalty. Points are also rewarded for demonstration of driving skill, such as doing over ~160mph on the straight, drifting, and sticking to the racing line through corners.

Laying cones out like this could also help make Rfactor more approachable. It could be used to help teach people to stick to the racing line when driving. And for those of us who don't need that practice, it makes for a good test of car control to be powersliding through a narrow set of gates around a corner. :p

Dont know if its been mentioned already or not, but here goes;

I`d like to see track evolution.

If you`ve played SBK-X, then you`ll know what i mean. If not, then see attached youtube link.

To sum it up, through the course of a race, a visible driving line is created from 'rubber' being put on the track. This line would give extra grip as it does in real life.
This also works for wet track where it is no longer raining. The driving line will dry out quicker than other parts of the track.

If you`ve played SBK-X, then you`ll know what i mean. If not, then see attached youtube link.

To sum it up, through the course of a race, a visible driving line is created from 'rubber' being put on the track. This line would give extra grip as it does in real life.
This also works for wet track where it is no longer raining. The driving line will dry out quicker than other parts of the track.

:thumb:

+:thumb: x2

Hey!

My wishlist for rf2:

1. A client which is more stable than the current one. It might be stable for some already but lots of people still have issues.

2. Make the driver swap more relieable. Endurance racing is becoming more and more popular especially with those great mods out there but the driver swap issues/crashes are preventing lots of people from finishing races which is very frustrating for them.

3. A possibilty to rejoin the game after a disconnect. Like everyone gets a unique ID and as soon as you rejoin you get back into your car which will be a ghost car for a certain amount of time until it becomes a normal car again.

I dont want a revolution, just a better rfactor with less bugs.

Markus

For me:

1. Linux port (not gonna happen soon)
2. Nice mod management (like a central ftp server with downloads from ingame)
3. A few keyboard presets
4. Visual damage
5. Stability (also so it has a chance of working properly in Wine)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%