rFactor 2 Wishlist

ISI, Simbin or whoever else reads this thread, heres a few to implement all in one product to really call it, the next-generation sim :)

As a player;
- Better graphics (DirectX 10 (11?) support)
- Fully dynamic weather (including rain that can effect certain sections of the track, not just all or nothing)
- Faster startup time & switching between mods (only loading the cars when necessary)
- Helmet cam with option of open-face helmet (with microphone :D)
- 3D arms with the ability to cross arms (i.e. 900 degree wheel turn)
- Motion blur & in-built HDR controls (with a selection of presets)
- Better implementation of transmission wear (i.e. to force proper use of the clutch (if auto clutch is disabled))
- AI that blocks when the person behind has a run on them (with the aggression turned up of course), and an option for the mod to define the rules on enabling blocking (i.e. forumla 1 mods would have it enabled for the entire race, v8 supercars whould only enable it for the last 2-4 laps)
- Simple controls to adjust AI car setups (i.e. make some (or all) of them tight or loose)
- Water splashes (visuals and effect on car performance) :D
- Safety rating system similar to iRacing, with seperate online and offline stats (offline stats able to be reset at any time (all or single mods))
- Better ban controls for servers (i.e. Online registration at a central site required to join enabled online servers) to help eliminate trouble-makers (i don't know the solution so best of luck on this issue)
- Rubber build-up (marbles)
- Better support of open-ended tracks (i.e. defaults to 1 lap races)
- Don't restrict things like amount of AI competitors to 20 or so because that's all a regular computer can cope with, a lot of simracers have kicka#% computers just so they can race with large fields while trying to max out the graphics, if they get bad fps, it's their problem, tell them to reduce the number of AI and/or turn the graphics down)

As a modder;
- An updated/compatable AIW/CAM editor (that thing is the bomb (compared to text editing and the other one (which still has a place))!!)
- Ability to assign weights to moveable trackside objects (for dynamic physics & damage calculations)
- Fully working blinkers (exterior lights and stick movement), pedals (with feet) that move, handbrake animation (in-out & up-down (accounting for analog handbrakes)), window winders (electric and rotating) including dynamic window up-down movement, suspension travel on coilovers (spring up-down and damper in-out)
- 20+ gear transmission support (i.e. for Mack trucks, if u allow for it, it will be made :D) (not sure if it's impossible atm, but i'm pretty sure the default UI doesn't support it)
- Simulated wind effects on cars (i.e. specifying parts of the track that are particularly windy/gusty or use a bunch of low poly models for buildings and grandstands and make the wind simulation fully dynamic (so the wind virtually acts as it does in-real life (less windy behind buildings, grandstands, forests, etc))) (simulation dimensions could be defined by the track, i.e. WindSimulationRadius=50) (also maybe some simple control in car mods as well (if not more advanced), i.e. WindEffectLeftDistribution=50,50 // front,rear)
- Ability to load updated files when (re)loading the front menu and/or when loading the track (even if a startup command-line switch has to be given) to make it quicker & easier for modders to see changes
- The ability to define sections of the track which remain dry (upon wet weather (i.e. tunnels)) but still with the ability to simulate running water in these "dry" sections of the track (i.e. drains & water across the track)
- The ability to define our own animations (i.e. for crowds, marshalls, mind blank atm but i'm sure creative minds can add alot to the game with animation support)

Just came in my mind that would it be possible to use real life weather in race sim? Has to be created co-operation with world wide weather forecast provider. Track makers could give a location to track they've created (for example LeMans) and game would pick the weather data from forecast service. Gamers could then watch forecasts before race event from that weather service and so on.

It feels quite simple but because I don't know how games are made I don't know if this is easy to do to in game. :D

Well when I started to speak about weather I'd like to see fog which comes on track sometimes at night and not on whole track it could cover only part of the track and then disappears later...

• leahcim

Well, having seen this today :-

rb3.jpg
http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/1865/rb3.jpg

http://www.virtualr.net/driving-red-bulls-rfactor-pro-simulator/

It's the first sim I've seen that actually draws what you see, instead of the silly hands / wheel cockpit thing.

It's such an obvious and, relatively speaking, easy thing to do - such "low hanging fruit" it's quite comical to see that it required F1 budgets and input into a sim author to implement it.

The difference? In rfactor pro you're the driver. In most racing games, including the ones that go on and on about what you do and don't have in real car, you're not. You're sat behind the driver looking at and controlling his hands as he drives around the track.

Let's hope rfactor2 starts a trend away from the "pretty cockpit graphics" that pretty much everyone has copied, and does it right, like they did (presumably because they had to. I guess if you spend £100m on equipment and staff you'll get at least one person who can see :D) in rfactor pro.

Wish list thread? Or wistful thinking. Let it out..

A uniform, streamlined, user-newb friendly Mod installation process wherein one does not have to be a rocket scientist inorder to install these terrific mods. I want to enjoy this wonderful sim, not apply for a computer programmer's degree.

That fulfilled, and this will most likely be the best sim experience to date. I have rFactor, so I will definately be buyin this. I just don't want to have to keep doing OS reinstalls do to the mess currently associated with mod installs (no offense to anyone/modders).

Also, driver/steering wheel animations; proper wheel/hand movements (beyond 90% where necessary) please.

Great forum!

I fully agree with Kenneth House. rFactor have turned into a mess of mods on the HD :)

I also like that the rF2 UI won`t be moddable, and that the UI is clean and functional.

I also wish that rF2 knows what mods your installation got so those can be highlighted somehow in the serverlist. A better versioning system of the mods are required because modders have a tendency to make some small updates for their mods so there is a possibility to have 5-6 versions of the same mod.

Better physics on other surfaces than tarmac would be good especially for rallying. Something close or similar to RBR driving physics.

Agree, this is the only thing i hope for but it's unlikely for the release as mentioned in AutoSimSport article. There is hope for future.
Actually it's hard to understand why no one is interested to make proper physics for soft surface. No rFactor, iRacing, LFS, netKar and theres no need to mention more of them as they are the only ones that have potential.

- Shadows in the cockpit
- The driver in the cockpit view, fully animated
- None of this "earning experience points" bollocks before buying certain cars
- Being able to turn off restrictions like pit lane speed limits, and being fined for driving round the track the wrong way
- Telemetry recording, and possibly analysis tools

There's the Data Aquisition plugin for Rfactor combined with Motec i2 to do the last one right now, yes, I'd just like to have it in Rfactor 2 one way or another.

I know 4's just trying to simulate the rules when it comes to that last one, but my sense of humor dictates that when I get bored whilst playing a game, the last thing I do before closing it is mess about. In L4D this usually means doing a finale only meleeing with pills, and no healing. Ends badly, but that's what makes it fun. :D

I'd never do anything like that online in Rfactor though. Honest. :)

- Better FFB
- Better graphics (HDR, reflections, more realistic sunlight and stuff like that)
- Dynamic track grip and heat (marbles off the race line, more rubber of the race line, etc.)
- Better AI - more like the Sim Bin game's AI
- More detailed track surfaces and stuff
- More options for track creators, like tyre mounds with solid centres, but with a movable outside

Example @ 1:24

- Ability to control gloss on cars using alpha layers in the skin files
- New FFB menu with all the options (or most) from the Controller.ini file
- More organised track selection menu
- More efficient graphics; GTR 2 graphics look and run better on my computer than rFactor
- Maybe configurable tyre allocations for race meetings

That's all I can think of for now.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 81 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%