rFactor 2 - Whats your Video Settings?

Abdul Al-Amry

2011 RD Indy 500 Winner
Would like to get some feedback especially on guys using Eyefinity.

I have everything in-game to either Low or Off in the graphics section but only 30fps. My card is ATI 6870 which handles a constant 84fps in iR and can play all games without major issues. rF1 was over 100fps.

Early days I know but still...

What is the best way to uninstall the old ATI drivers before I install the 12.1a preview drivers? I'm getting pretty decent FPS with my 4870, 50-60 with everything at Full/Max except shadows (high) and HDRI off, but I'd like to get it to be a little more fluid.

Jason

Just a normal uninstall with windows....But check the new drivers are for your card first, think that they might be for 5xxx and 6xxx series cards :)

I saw that they are for the 5k/6k series of cards but have seen a couple of people with 4870s say they use the preview drivers. Ross Garland has the same model card as me and claims they work. I'm willing to give it a shot. With all the talk of completely removing the old drivers I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to go to extra measures before installing the new ones.

Jason

I'm running 12.1 with my crossfire 4870s no problemo.

i7 930 @2.8ghz stock
6gb triple chan 1600
2x 4870 1gb with 12.1 CCC

Pulls in between 45-50fps round Monte Carlo with all details set to full/max, level 3 AA and 16x anisotropic @ 1920x1080.

@Jason - just dl the 12.1 drivers and run the installer - you get 2 options, uninstall or install > chose uninstall first to get rid of your old drivers. Follow the process, you have to reboot, then run the installer and install the 12.1 - simples.

My spec: (No clocking)
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2Ghz (old, I know)
2GB Ram dual 666Mhz (slow, I know)
NV 8800GT 512Mb (old, I know)

With this spec I can achieve 50-60fps @ 1920x1080

In game settings:
HDR - OFF
AA - X4

Track LOD - HIGH
Car LOD - HIGH
Op car LOD - MEDIUM
Texture LOD - HIGH
AF - X4
SFX - HIGH
Shadow - LOW
Shadow blur - OFF
Movies - OFF
Sun occ - OFF
Raing drops - ON
Road reflection - OFF
Enviro reflections - OFF
Wind & croud - OFF

Visible cars - 10
in game cars - 20
2-3fps drop with mirrors - ON

NV control panel: v285.xx - rfactor2.exe
Multi display - set to single display performance mode
Texture filtering Anistropic sample op - ON
Texture filtering Negative LOD bias - CLAMP
Texture filtering Quality - Performance
Texture filtering Trilinear op - ON

To get to this point I had to disable some processes to lower the RAM & CPU load:
*wmpnetwk.exe - This is the big one and one that took me a while to completely disable. After stopping the service then disabling it then removing WMPlayer from windows features, it was only then when this process stopped restarting itself.
*Nvidia stereoscopic 3D driver service - Stopped & disabled.

My spec: (No clocking)
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2Ghz (old, I know)
2GB Ram dual 666Mhz (slow, I know)
NV 8800GT 512Mb (old, I know)

With this spec I can achieve 50-60fps @ 1920x1080

In game settings:
HDR - OFF
AA - X4

Track LOD - HIGH
Car LOD - HIGH
Op car LOD - MEDIUM
Texture LOD - HIGH
AF - X4
SFX - HIGH
Shadow - LOW
Shadow blur - OFF
Movies - OFF
Sun occ - OFF
Raing drops - ON
Road reflection - OFF
Enviro reflections - OFF
Wind & croud - OFF

Visible cars - 10
in game cars - 20
2-3fps drop with mirrors - ON

NV control panel: v285.xx - rfactor2.exe
Multi display - set to single display performance mode
Texture filtering Anistropic sample op - ON
Texture filtering Negative LOD bias - CLAMP
Texture filtering Quality - Performance
Texture filtering Trilinear op - ON
I have a better PC than that, running lower settings, and performance is terrible! (about 15 FPS, w/ about 70 on rF1) :(
Of course, ATi vs nVidia could make a difference...

As mentioned I'm playing with old ATI cards, 2 4870s in crossfire, but I have a 6950 laying around somewhere, so I might give that a go and see the difference.

Anyone tried turning off/on hyperthreading to see any difference?

My system:
AMD Phenom II X4 925 OC @ 3.4GHz
4GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 560 Direct CUII OC 1GB (850MHz Verison)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Personally i think i should get more than what i do with my system, hopefully it will be better and more optimized at full release :)
With these settings i achieve 35 - 60fps at 1920x1080

In game:

Circuit Detail - High
Player Detail - High
Opponent Detail - High
Texture Detail - High
AF - Trilinear
AA - None
Special Effects - High
Shadows - High
Motion Blur - Off (Personally dont like it)
Sun Occluision - Off
Road Reflection - Off
Environmental Reflection - Off
Wind and Crowd Motion - Off
HDR - Off
Amount of Cars: 10 - 20 (Doesnt change the fps between 10 and 20 cars for some reason)

Nvidia Settings:

AF - 16x
AA - 8x CSAA
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames - 1
Power Management - Prefer Maximum Performance.
Texture Filtering (Quality) - Performance
Texture Filtering (Trilinear Optimisation) - On

(I did notice an FPS boost using the AF and AA in the Nvidia Control panel instead of in rF2)

I have maxxed everything out to the absolutely most high quality setting, even HDR even though, as far as I know, it is not fully enabled, and I get a solid 120+ fps out of it.

EDIT: The fps I get is in non-multiplayer/non-AI games where I just drive by myself. With 20 or so cars on the grid with me I get 70 or so, evening out to about 100 with close racing after a few laps when racers are spread out.

(important-hardware) specs as follows

I'm running an Intel Q9550 at an overclocked 4.8ghz with an aftermarket cooler, 4gb's of DDR2 RAM (I know, DDR3 is the new-new! :p) along with a Zotac 580GTX Amp! Edition (from standard it is overclocked, but I clocked it even further) graphics card.

Would like to get some feedback especially on guys using Eyefinity.

I have everything in-game to either Low or Off in the graphics section but only 30fps. My card is ATI 6870 which handles a constant 84fps in iR and can play all games without major issues. rF1 was over 100fps.

Early days I know but still...
Where is this low or off graphical settings? on my game i can only turn on HDR, add af/aa, and change resolution.

My main pc has no problem running rFactor 2 fully maxed out at 1900x1080 with full AA/AF and HDR on, and running at 70/80ish fps.

What id love to do though is set my spare/backup machine up for my nephew with his own copy as he is wanting to get into sim racing.
Does anyone have any xp with a machine with the following specs running rF2, and at what setting/performance do you get?

Cpu / Amd Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.8
Ram / 8 gig OCZ Special Ops 1600 DDR3
Vid / 2gig Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 5850
Mobo / Asus M4N98TD EVO
Cooler / Titan Fenir Xmas Special
Wheel / Logitech DFGT FFB wheel

I think thats the main specs, obviously theres a case, keyboard, mouse etc, but i'd love to know what people have had frame/playability wise on a machine like or similur to this.

Any help would be good guys, thanks.

Christopher, my machine has the same cpu, the same amount of ram (G. Skill), and I was running a HD 4870 but I put my kid's Sapphire HD 5850 toxic 2 gig card in to see what it would do. The thing is I believe the card is flaky and always has been, it wants to run at 400MHz on the core and it is stable there but problems started to show up when I clocked it to it's default at 765MHz. With everything maxed out in rFactor 2 including HDR on with 10 or more cars on the starting grid, the fps would drop below 30 with stuttering, it wasn't pretty. I went and bought a PNY GTX 560 Ti OC and under the same circumstances the system delivers 43-44 fps and is solid and by the time you get to the first turn at Spa it's running at 55-60 fps with vsync on. Of course the HD 5850 was fine when HDR was turned off. I was disappointed with the 5850 but like I say, this particular card is weird and I'm not sure how much that played into it. It was better than the 4870 but not by that much. I should mention this was all running at 1680x1050. I have to say the HD 4870 was a great video card but of course the GTX 560 beats it handily, as well it should. It is a great upgrade from the 4870.

I believe, the GTX 570 would have been a more future proof purchase but I just couldn't spend that much more money:-(.

RF2_2.gif
I'm at 2304x1440 32bit@85Hz on an
I7-920@3.8GHz
MSI X58 Platinum (BIOS modded from X-fire to SLI)
Win7-64 Pro on AgilityII series
18GB Patriot Viper1333@7-7-7-20
2x 2GB Palit GTX560Ti (290.53 beta driver w/ SLI disabled for RF2 only)

Getting 76+fps most places on track at Spa. It drops to around 70fps as I approach and go through the La Source hairpin.

All sims are run from a Samsung Spinpoint F3 (HD103SJ) 1TB 7200RPM drive.
RF2_1.gif

I get a nice framerate but I also have been getting the nvidea lockup. This is happening a lot more than in Race 07. I'd rather keep the native resolution of my screen and would like to know which options I should turn down first to reduce the number of failures without losing too much of the great graphics.
This what's running, upgrades are in the future.
PROCESSOR-Intel® Core™2 DuoProcessor E8500 at 3.16GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6M Cache
RIG-Vigor Cooler Master CM 690 Screwless Chassis
POWER SUPPLY-CoolerMaster Real Power Pro nVidia-SLI Certified 850Watt
MB CORE LOGIC-Asus P5Q-E Intel P45 DDR2 w/1600MHz FSB & Gen 2 Crossfire
MEMORY-4GB Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G CL5 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2X2048MB)
DATA HARD DRIVE-320GB SATA II 7200 RPM Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD-nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB Xtreme Plus Edition @700MHz
OPERATING SYSTEM-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 w/Original Disc
MONITOR-Viewsonic 22" 1920x1080

I really have not been playing with video settings yet. Can't really answer the question.

What I do know is that the nvidia video drivers are not the best in the world. Have seen several times that default drivers perform better then the latest nvidia. Perhaps that's worth a try to prevent the lockups?

Well, I dont have a triple screen setup, I only drive on my laptop (I know, should get a proper stationary), but I do use a ATI card.

My specs are:

CPU i7 2630 @2.00 GHz Not clocked
GPU Radeon HD 6770m with 2GB DDR5 Ram
6GB Ram
Windblows 7 64 bit.
Resolution is 1366 x 768

My in game settings are:

Circuit detail: Full
Player detail : Full
Opp Detail: Full
4 x AA
Shadows: low
Sun OC: no
Raindrops: yes
Mirrors: ON

I think the rest is either the lowest or off, I cant remember.

Online on the grid with about 25 drivers its down to 55-60 FPS, but right after the start it goes to 70-75. When Im alone and only a couple cars around me, its from 85-95. Sometimes it shortly peakes and goes to 135 FPS for a couple of seconds, anyone can explaine that?

These FPS Is from The cockpit of the Megane, on the circuits Full Loop, GT and Mills.

Have to look for the exact driver Dennis. There was a non-nvidia driver for geforce cards before. Not sure if it is still around, since I also have ATI card's these days. It's been a while since i last used a nvidia.

Will see if I can find some time to look for it tonight.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back