Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Beta Updates.jpg

As part of the rapid release schedule of updates to rFactor 2, Studio 397 have been taking a further look at VR implementation and have deployed a nice patch adding more performance improvements.

Due to the volume of fixes and updates being released to rFactor 2 post DX11 build update we haven't covered each and every changelog here at RD, however you can see below a summary of the build updates since our last post on the subject:

19/5/2017 Build ID : 1828309
  • Minor performance improvements from 17/05 (fixed online issue)
  • Memory improvements
  • Performance improvements in pre-race screen

22/5/2017 Build ID : 1837619
  • Performance improvements (for PP None to Low)
  • Fixed lightshafts in multiview (PP settings Medium to Ultra)
  • Video memory management improvements

1/6/2017 Build ID : 1859720
  • VR Mirror mode selectable in Launcher config
  • Further VR performance optimizations
  • General improvements

1/6/2017 (2) Build ID : 1861183 (Hotfixes)
  • Fixed UI transparency issue
  • Fixed Laptop secondary card selection issue

2/6/2017 (2) Build ID : 1861431
  • Fixed rendering issue with triple monitor gizmo

Of particular interest to VR users comes the first of two updates deployed yesterday afternoon. Build 1859720 has brought with it considerable improvements to the sometimes hit and miss optimization of the way VR is rendered within the software. With this initial look at improving the VR experience Studio 397 are laying down the foundations of further developments in this area of the title, newly added at the beginning of May and already providing a solid experience to those gamers lucky enough to enjoy the advantages of a Virtual Reality headset.

It is worth noting that the VR build update, as with all the current beta build enhancements is just that - beta. Studio 397 are continuing to work towards a public release state version one of the DX11 build and VR implementation and as such performance and user experience could fluctuate between each new build update release.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation by Studio 397. Available to purchase from the Steam network, the game regularly receives updates and enhancements as the Dutch studio look to breathe new life into one of sim racings best titles.

If you are a fan of rFactor 2 then you really need to visit our rFactor 2 sub forum, here you will be able to discuss the game with fellow enthusiasts, seek advice and guidance on many aspects of the sim and take part in some awesome club racing events in our newly re-launched rFactor 2 Racing Club. Go on, you know you want to....

Happy with the DX11 progress of the sim so far? How are you finding VR in rFactor 2? What do you think of the overall progress made by Studio 397 since taking over development of the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

image credit - Adrian Subiela

Last edited:
They really are doing a great job so far.

The improvements in FPS have been almost dramatic over the last few months and even with Processing switched off completely, it's still miles better looking than the DX9 version.

I'm lucky in a way being an Intel, NVidia user. I know AMD users were having lots of performance difficulties but for me this title has improved a great deal.

I don't use VR so can't comment on that but all these improvements shows that the enthusiasm is there and that's got to be a good thing.

Have certainly started to see improved performance when using VR... For me, originally it was just unplayable, with stuttering, flickering and very low frame rates both in game and UI. The game side improved and could run it at medium settings. Last weeks batch of updates fixed the UI problems.

Had a great AI race at Mores with the USF2000 cars last weekend. VR looked pretty nice, even at medium settings. Hoping that this new batch of updates means I can start moving the graphics settings towards maximum again :)

Performance optimisations have certainly improved in the past month since the first release, the recent VR optimisation pass has further improved my experience.

I can run medium settings (a couple on high with PPD 1.4) and 29 AI with the Enduracers mod at Malaysia Full Loop with relative ease, some slight stutters at race start which is to be expected but after that it's a very smooth experience.

I'm gonna try and bump up a few settings in the coming days and see if I can stretch performance even more, Studio397 are doing a great job and long may it continue :)

I agree, S397 is doing a nice job so far. rF2 is my favorite from a physics and FFB standpoint but I won't drop my others - each has their strong points. I love R3E for racing immersion and consistent car/track quality, even pCARS isn't bad for the immersion (graphics, weather) but very inconsistent. AMS ticks all of the sim boxes except for graphics - not bad but showing it's age. I personally am not finding a good use for AC, things that I can't find in my others, but I'm still buying the content and tinkering from time to time.
Again, rF2 is where my closest attention lies - can't wait for the new UI and Zandvoort.

I agree, S397 is doing a nice job so far. rF2 is my favorite from a physics and FFB standpoint but I won't drop my others - each has their strong points. I love R3E for racing immersion and consistent car/track quality, even pCARS isn't bad for the immersion (graphics, weather) but very inconsistent. AMS ticks all of the sim boxes except for graphics - not bad but showing it's age. I personally am not finding a good use for AC, things that I can't find in my others, but I'm still buying the content and tinkering from time to time.
Again, rF2 is where my closest attention lies - can't wait for the new UI and Zandvoort.
totally agree , do not forget the radical

Just had a nice hour post updates, trying a few different car and track combos using practice session with AI... MonteCarlo 1966 looks amazing, and Mores appears almost real. Silverstone is just sweet ... Happy to say that VR is working fully and is quite impressive.

Now running fully maxed out graphics settings, but limited visible cars to 10 and there appears to be a bug with Shadows set to Max. Also, not using PP effects, AA on level 2 and VR HMD only.

Studio 397 are doing good :D

Last edited:
They really are doing a great job so far.

The improvements in FPS have been almost dramatic over the last few months and even with Processing switched off completely, it's still miles better looking than the DX9 version.

I'm lucky in a way being an Intel, NVidia user. I know AMD users were having lots of performance difficulties but for me this title has improved a great deal.

I don't use VR so can't comment on that but all these improvements shows that the enthusiasm is there and that's got to be a good thing.

The performance has been improved but there is still some way to go. If you look at charts posted in the S397 forum thread, the picture I get is that it's still performing worse on average than the DX9 build with PP effects off. We can be optimistic about the improvements, but it's definitely not there yet, especially when you drive with a grid of 20 cars.

That overview is nicely done, but it's just one system with one specific combination of settings so it's hardly representative of all systems or the average. On average, especially on recent hardware, I am quite sure DX11 outperforms DX9 already. Also keep in mind that DX11, even with PP set to None, already contains several rendering improvements so it's not a fair comparison. Anyway, benchmarks aside, I hope everybody here ends up being happy with the combination of improvements that DX11 brings!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%