rFactor 2 Updated, New DX11 Content Added and Substantial F2 Improvements

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Formula Two and Sao Paula Update DX11.jpg

Studio 397 have released a new update for rFactor 2 that adds a rather considerable list of improvements to the Formula Two car as well as bringing new content to DX11 standards.

Some of you have probably already noted the change log and intention to update to DX11 in the recent rFactor 2 Development Roadmap post released yesterday, and true to their word the development studio have come good on the release and updated both the Brazilian Grand Prix hosting Sao Paulo circuit to the latest DX11 standards as well as bringing a massive and rather impressive list of enhancements to the now rather old Formula Two car, a machine often criticised when it released very early in the life of rFactor 2 (under the guidance of Image Space Incorporated).

21st June 2017 rFactor 2 Update

Track

Car
Formula 2 2012 Physics changelog:
  • Full CPM tyre upgrade.
  • AI improvements to help launch on race starts.
  • AI now take longer to warm up tyres.
  • AI correlation tweaks to slightly decrease grip.
  • Added RCD / talent file.
  • AI tweaks to make them faster overall.
  • Lower initial tyre temperatures and more pressure buildup.
  • Softened front ARB.
  • More damping in suspension components.
  • Minor tyre tweaks to include more damping.
  • Correction to low downforce package to add stability.
  • Added optional caster upgrade to help increase the cornering forces in the FFB.
  • Reduced flatspot intensity on front tyres.
  • Softened steering slightly.
  • Low-end torque slightly increased.
  • Corrected unsprung inertia.
  • New engine throttle map.
  • Softened chassis.
  • Improved inertia.
  • Lowered max brake force.
  • Set default brake pressure to realistic typical usage.
  • Rear ARB increased to be bit stiffer and better match the data.
  • Reduced fuel consumption by appropriately 20%, this should give more plausible fuel consumption figures.
  • Slightly less dirty air in the slip-steam (in particular, less understeer so you can follow a tiny bit closer).
  • Front ARB now displays stiffness to make it clearer.
  • Wheel rate correction.
  • Added chassis flex.
  • Added new steering system.
  • Softened shifts, this should make up-shifts more harmonious especially in mid-corner.
With the release of the F2 and Sao Paulo now completed, Studio 397 have now gone a long way towards bringing the vast majority of first party car and track content to the latest DX11 standards. You can see a full list of the latest build release official content below:

Tracks
  • Silverstone 2012
  • Mores 2013
  • Indianapolis 2013
  • Nola Motorsports Park 2016
  • AtlantaMP 2014
  • TobanRP 2016
  • MillsMetro 2011
  • Portugal 2009
  • Palm Beach 2012
  • Malaysia 2007
  • Monte Carlo 1966
  • Quebec Super Kart 2011
  • São Paulo 2013
Cars
  • StockCar 2015
  • Howston G4 1968
  • Howston G6 1968
  • Indycar Dallara DW12 2014
  • Nissan GT500 2013
  • USF2000 2016
  • AC Cobra 427SC 1967
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT3 2012
  • Corvette C6R GT2 2009
  • Kart Cup
  • Honda Civic BTCC 2013
  • Formula Renault 3.5
  • Renault Clio Cup 2010
  • Brabham BT20 1966
  • Howston Dissenter 1974
  • Panoz Roadster 1999
  • Nissan GTR 2011
  • Formula 2 2012
rFactor 2 is a racing simulation created by Image Space Incorporated and continued development undertaken by Studio 397. The sim is available to purchase from Steam now.

For more rFactor 2 goodness you really do need to check out our rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment. If you want a great place to hang with sim racing fans, catch up on the latest news articles and engage in some pretty special league and club racing events held on a regular basis, then pop over and come make yourself at home!

Have you tried the new rF2 Formula Two car yet? What do you think of the changes produced by Studio 397? How does the car now rank in comparison to the "best" rFactor 2 has to offer? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
With the current/old DX9 I had tons of mods installed Enduracers, Simtek, UnitedRacingDesign (URD is payware, they updated their DTM 2012/13 mods for DX11) along with several tracks including the 90s Le Mans as it was the only one I could find. I removed all except S397's own as part of a clean install as I wasn't sure what if anything is still safe/recommended to use and with the old UI it's almost impossible to keep track of what content you have added, especially if you leave the game for a while and come back... Any thoughts/advice on what to use with DX11?

Side note: I'm using the Le Mans mod for AC and with the LMP1 cars (with hybrid implemented) it's great but I sort of would prefer the have the same in rF2...

Enduracers mod is running fine. To be honest, most of your old mods will run ok on DX11.
Only problems sometimes is frame rates on both car and track that haven't been updated. Also some content needs to have PP turned off or you get weird spaceship glows on reflective or bright surfaces

Also just to add that you can keep track of the S397 updates on Steam listing by Recent updates.

• Deleted member 130869

The issue with Dx9-rF2 mods is often going to be reflections and transparency, sometimes small or sometimes very distracting.

Boring cars? I would love to have them in my garage. Clio, Civic, Corvette, Camaro, Megane, Formula Renault, Formula 2, USF2000, the incoming Radical SR3 and McLaren car, the Kart, the Honda NSX and the Corvette road cars, the old Formulas and prototypes. They would be all very welcome in my real life.
And something makes me feel that Studio 397 will get some other cool licenses in the future. Maybe at the end we'll have some other GT and Formula cars and some modern track day cars. And some new tracks. Who knows, but I'm optimistic.
I don't like ovals, but I like the road courses inside them, a lot. If they want to stick with the american and canadian tracks used for the Indy series I'm ok with that. Because I know what tracks are/were used there.
Just google for the current Indy series calendar: Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Toronto road course, Road America, Gateway Motorsport Park. Add Sebring and Laguna Seca and the tracks already in game and suddenly RF2 becomes a game with a very great track list. Not to say many of the tracks mentioned are used also in the IMSA and CanAm series, giving both the developers and the modders the possibility to bring in game some very cool cars of that series. :D
I mean, think of the CanAm series. Back then Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren were racing there with terrific prototypes. And look at the tracks used:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Can-Am_Challenge_Cup_circuits
Come on, if Studio 397 would pick this direction, focusing mostly on american and canadian tracks and on those series a racing enthusiast can't complain. I don't need 7 random Ferraris or Porsches and few random boring modern F1 tracks. I don't care of Pagani. This is what I would call boring, because it's in every game nowadays.
Porsche 908/03, McLaren M8A, Ferrari 312 PB, Alfa Romeo 33/3 and the CanAm circuits would be very welcome instead. And I hope that Studio 397 will stick with the american and canadian tracks and series right for this reason. The track list is awesome and the series used great cars. And nobody can stop me from going there with the Enduracers content, the Clio Cup or the ASR Formula mods. ;)

Same ol same ol what makes this game any different to the others please tell me because all you are saying is the same thing I have seen every where else honestly how many bloody C6R race cars are out there how many open wheeler's are there you don't make a good case of it you just harp on being the total fan boy why don't you take off your rose tinted glasses oh by the way just my own opinion truth hurts doesn't it..

Hi, I require some help.

I bought rFactor2 yesterday, but I cannot see tracks like Silverstone and Brasil, neither the Formula 2 2012. What I have to do to see those? Also, it looks like the sim is running on DX9.

Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to these contents: http://steamcommunity.com/id/studio-397/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960

DX11 is still in beta if you want to opt in follow the instructions here: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/05/open-beta-with-directx-11-and-virtual-reality-support/

After the update I can't find Portugal 2009 and Sao Paulo tracks in game. I've already checked that I'm subscribed to both and it show as installed in the launcher content manager. Does anyone else had this problem?

Yes, but only with Sao Paulo. Portugal is there.

Sao Paulo shows up in the Launcher list of installed items (v1.07 with the asterisk denoting Workshop content). I can see the v1.07 files in the Locations folder if I peek there (old version automatically uninstalled, too). But it does not show up in the menu as a trak to select. Highly annoying.

F2 feels better than before (using the default boosted caster setting in Tuning), but still no where near as authentic or thrilling as the USF2000. It should be, though.

There is something fundamentally off with the FFB or the physics (or both). Looks like that wasn't addressed, but just pasted over with a higher caster (possibly unrealistically high) setting. Only a very few cars like the USF2000 respond well to all FFB hardware. Most rF2 cars feel great on one or some types of wheels and not so great on others. Some people loved the old original F2, so I am convinced it is the poster-child for this issue.

Reactions: mms
[QUOTE="Paul Jeffrey, post: 2507069, member: 5132]How does the car now rank in comparison to the "best" rFactor 2 has to offer? Let us know in the comments section[/QUOTE]

Here's an idea. @Joseph Wright after the Tuesday Silverstone event, we could make one to test this thing out. Maybe next rf2 club race could recreate Canadian GP from couple of weeks ago, but with formula 2. ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 157 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.3%