rFactor 2 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has today received another new update, adding several fixes as well as the long awaited support for multiple GPUs...

Studio 397 have been hard at work bringing both large and small updates to the title on a regular basis since introducing the substantial DX11 and Virtual Reality update back in April, and now another new update is available for immediate download, and it contains plenty of interesting fixes and additions.

Noteworthy for the majority of players will be the seemining innocuous real road shader artifacts updated, with should give a little visual boost to the title, plus a very welcome addition of controller profiles for several key Fanatec products.

July 6th Build Update Notes:
  • Fixed artifacts on old real road shader.
  • Fixed screen capture in TTool.
  • Fixed multiple controller profiles so JOY1 is default controller mapping....
  • Added controller profiles for Fanatec wheels: Fanatec CSW v2.5, Fanatec CSW v2, Fanatec CSR Elite, Fanatec CSL XBOX, Fanatec CSL PS4.
  • Added support for mulit-gpus and multi-monitor selection, available via drop downs in Laucher config.
  • VR Added re-center view now assignable to a key (default is Backspace).
  • VR Fixed Track loading screen.
  • Lower input latency

To give you a quick catch up on what's happened behind the scenes these past few weeks, check out the more recent update notes below -

19/06/2017 Build ID : 1899371
  • Fixed: VR trackside cameras.
  • Fixed: VR Showroom is now rendering properly.
  • Fixed VR Monitor and replay working in-game.
  • Fixed: Multi-monitor selection now available.
  • Fixed: Minor issues with UI font.
  • Fixed: AI way-points now show in Dev Mode.
  • Fixed: Zoom and out of focus elements in track-side cameras when in multi-view mode. (Triple screen)
  • Fixed: Focus on UI elements in Viewer.exe
  • Fixed: Real Road rendering issues.
  • Added: Brand New High resolution “Hangar” style showroom to better showcase cars.
  • Added: VR Improvements to the Post processing effects by disabling the Depth-of-Field.
  • Updated: Minor performance and video memory improvements.
  • Updated: Showroom post process preset.
  • Updated: The graphics engine now renders ambient shadows while in the showroom.

21/06/2017 Build ID : 1905199
  • VR : Fixed issue with scene rendering
  • VR : Fixed issue with Onscreen names and black UI screen
  • VR : Disabled head tracking in monitor mode
  • Fixed dual gpu integrated/dedicated issue

27/06/2017 Build ID : 1915820
  • VR : Improved UI and loading screen
  • Performance improvements
  • Improved multiview gizmo
  • Fixed reflections displaying wrong dynamic objects
  • Improved font system cache

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 2.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - RoWo Screenshot.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Tried the new update yet? Please with the progress so far? Happy with the direction of rF2 since the big DX11 / VR update? Let us know in the comments section below!

Picture credits - jayarrbee36 and RoWo

Last edited:
For me AMS has surpassed rF2 bigtime. Especially the bumps in the tracks are done very well which makes car handling a challenge. I wás very exited to see the radical entering rF2 but after one lap i started AMS again. DX11 and VR mean nothing to me.

Does AMS support surround sound and VR yet? If not, that seems like the opposite of surpass. :)

rFactor 2, especially since Studio 397 has taken over, has ruined sim racing for me :confused: Well, not ruined if I stick to rF2 :) I'm having a hard time in all of my other sims, they just don't provide the same feel as rF2. With rF2 the cars react like I would expect, with an excellent "connected to the road feel". Maybe it's my wheel (TM TX) setup, maybe I haven't found setup nirvana in the others, maybe rF2 just checks most of my preference boxes, just saying :D.

Definitely the best FFB in my library, but I think AC is a close second, and R3E feels pretty good, too, when you tune it correctly. I can pretty much switch between those three, without much adjustment time needed. AC has a pretty good feeling of tire flex, too. But, I do agree, rF2 simulates the best feeling of tire flex.

FYI That's incorrect information, VR can run on lower GPUs just fine (I have a GTX970) and with ASW I & others can run perfectly fine at 45fps without nausea in many Sim both Race & Flight.

Yes, however you need to turn down the eye candy to achieve this. Hell you need the fastest video card you can afford. To be honest even a 1080ti cannot run RRRE with full gfx and a full grid without dropping frames. You do notice the frame drop at 45.

Yes, however you need to turn down the eye candy to achieve this. Hell you need the fastest video card you can afford. To be honest even a 1080ti cannot run RRRE with full gfx and a full grid without dropping frames. You do notice the frame drop at 45.

Whilst there is a noticeable difference between 45/90 to some I personally don't notice it that much. I'm able to race with High settings, 1.4PPD and 29AI perfectly fine at 45. Online is the same, fluid gameplay and a thoroughly awesome experience.

Like a lot of things in our chosen hobby VR settings and usage is very much down to the individual, I'm loving AC, RRE and RF2 just fine but this common misconception you need a powerful gpu is just incorrect as many have proven.

I'm impressed with the latest VR updates. The Radical dashboard has a much better sense of depth, previously the rF2 cockpits all looked a little flat to me. Impressively smooth and stable in the game with a lot going on during races too. I still prefer AC VR for now but this is closer and of course, offers the full day /night cycle etc.

In PCars, this how to set it, you need to go under camera movement options, change all settings 0. Under virtual reality settings change world movement and g-force effect to 0.
In VR it works just fine, I have no experience trying it using triple.
Thanks, I have tried the whole possible gamma, after all this time I ended up with WM 30 / GF 45. That keeps the world nearly still and keeps the up/down movement of the dash within limits (close to the effect I get in R3E).
In RF2 I still get the 'vibrating' world (depending the car/track).
I would appreciate a slider for world movement and a seperate one that controls the car pitch and roll. That would be ideal imo.

For me AMS has surpassed rF2 bigtime. Especially the bumps in the tracks are done very well which makes car handling a challenge. I wás very exited to see the radical entering rF2 but after one lap i started AMS again. DX11 and VR mean nothing to me.
AMS is a better complete game and rF2 is a modding platform still, hopefully S397 changes that. But try porting an AMS physic to rF2 ;)

I wish they would focus more on VR rather than cars since so far their pace (although light years ahead compared to ISI) isn't all THAT impressive given the quality of releases. Radical is fun, but clearly unfinished. GT500 was released with fr3.5 sound engine and cockpit more suited to GTR2 than a game from 2017. I wish they would focus on useful stuff like VR Instead

I'm torn whether I should buy into the VR headsets that are out today, or should I wait to see what comes out this year. I just purchased a new sim rig, but I don't have a monitor to run with it yet. I figured I could spend the $600+ on a VR headset, or a nice triple monitor set up. Any thoughts? I've heard that the current headsets are not that great in terms of resolution or detail.
Personally I can't race without using VR now. With super sampling and other tweaks it looks good to me, but the immersion is what convinced me to buy. They will push the current devices to the max before they bring out anything else. I think it's going to be a few more years before they bring out second gen.

If you're going to use it just for racing then you can get the Oculus for $500. You don't need the touch controllers for racing. if you think you want to do room scale games also, then I'd invest in the Vive. Oculus can do room scale but you have to buy extra sensors, which brings the price up comparable to the Vive.

You'll just have to weigh out the difference in price and what you're willing to spend. I'd find some place where you could try out VR first. Or you could take the plunge, buy it off Amazon and return it within 30 days if you don't like it. That's exactly what I did, bought it off Amazon, but it never went back. :p A year later and I have both the CV1 and the Vive. The only 2D games I've played in a year is Battlegrounds, everything else is VR.

Good, I haven't tried recent updates yet.

Your last point about OSW I don't get. It must be something about the way rF2 and AMS communicate with the hardware. I don't think that studios like Kunos (which doesn't have OSW/any DD wheel in house) have coded specific support for these wheels and DOR/softlock are still working as designed without a hassle. Using words "as designed" because the softlock is pretty much useless when the code behind it is way too simplistic (in AC).
About OSW Gijs says that you have to tell OSW to let games make changes to the wheel. I dont know if there is some software you can access for the OSW and make sure to tick that "let games make changes to the wheel".

About OSW Gijs says that you have to tell OSW to let games make changes to the wheel. I dont know if there is some software you can access for the OSW and make sure to tick that "let games make changes to the wheel".

No there isn't such setting in MMOS and sorry the explanation does not make much sense. Because it worked straight out of the box when DiRT Rally released back in the days. And DR was absolutely bulls*it what comes to controller support. These moderately modified isiMotor titles are only titles having problems with it.

No there isn't such setting in MMOS and sorry the explanation does not make much sense. Because it worked straight out of the box when DiRT Rally released back in the days. And DR was absolutely bulls*it what comes to controller support. These moderately modified isiMotor titles are only titles having problems with it.
Ah ok. I thought maybe there was a tick box in the software that maybe was unticked on those wheels. Well that sucks. Hope they get support in rF2. Im looking at OSW too so...

I'm torn whether I should buy into the VR headsets that are out today, or should I wait to see what comes out this year. I just purchased a new sim rig, but I don't have a monitor to run with it yet. I figured I could spend the $600+ on a VR headset, or a nice triple monitor set up. Any thoughts? I've heard that the current headsets are not that great in terms of resolution or detail.
Triple screen is awesome. Im waiting for VR to get better/cheaper too. I cant run VR on my system today anyway but i can run my triples and its of course miles above a single screen in awesomeness. I feel panic when i have to do something on 1 monitor now, lol. Driving on 1 monitor is out of the quesion you see nothing. :D Its pretty damn cheap and a good thing to have while you wait to get VR. Thats what i did and im not disappointed. VR with lag would have been very disappointing to me cause then i would have been forced to use 1 monitor anyway until i had money for a much better PC.

Do as you like, but triples is cheap in comparison and gives a ton of immersion when driving over a single monitor.

I wish they would focus more on VR rather than cars since so far their pace (although light years ahead compared to ISI) isn't all THAT impressive given the quality of releases. Radical is fun, but clearly unfinished. GT500 was released with fr3.5 sound engine and cockpit more suited to GTR2 than a game from 2017. I wish they would focus on useful stuff like VR Instead

Seems like exactly the same pace to me, in terms of actual, useful progress and content. Seriously, I thought we were going to have a working DX11 by the end of Q1 or beginning of May. That's what had been discussed since S397 took over. Where is the new UI? Content pace (and quality) seems the same as ISI--hit and miss.

Last edited:
Triple screen is awesome. Im waiting for VR to get better/cheaper too. I cant run VR on my system today anyway but i can run my triples and its of course miles above a single screen in awesomeness. I feel panic when i have to do something on 1 monitor now, lol. Driving on 1 monitor is out of the quesion you see nothing. :D Its pretty damn cheap and a good thing to have while you wait to get VR. Thats what i did and im not disappointed. VR with lag would have been very disappointing to me cause then i would have been forced to use 1 monitor anyway until i had money for a much better PC.

Do as you like, but triples is cheap in comparison and gives a ton of immersion when driving over a single monitor.
Great feedback and much appreciated it. I'll be ordering 3 monitors this weekend! Cheers!

Personally I can't race without using VR now. With super sampling and other tweaks it looks good to me, but the immersion is what convinced me to buy. They will push the current devices to the max before they bring out anything else. I think it's going to be a few more years before they bring out second gen.

If you're going to use it just for racing then you can get the Oculus for $500. You don't need the touch controllers for racing. if you think you want to do room scale games also, then I'd invest in the Vive. Oculus can do room scale but you have to buy extra sensors, which brings the price up comparable to the Vive.

You'll just have to weigh out the difference in price and what you're willing to spend. I'd find some place where you could try out VR first. Or you could take the plunge, buy it off Amazon and return it within 30 days if you don't like it. That's exactly what I did, bought it off Amazon, but it never went back. :p A year later and I have both the CV1 and the Vive. The only 2D games I've played in a year is Battlegrounds, everything else is VR.
Interesting..I read some comparisons between the two and the Rift got better remarks for racing. I may do a triple screen set up next week, and order VR to see which I like more. I do wish they would give us some insight into whether new tech would be launching this year. Thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back