rFactor 2 Update Deployed in Preparation of Formula E DLC Drop Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has received a new update today to both DX9 and DX11 branches, paving the way for the new Formula E DLC coming to the simulation early next week.

Not massive in size but certainly rather curious, the new rFactor 2 build update deployed today by Studio 397 lays the foundations for the inclusion of electric racing in the simulation going forward, starting with the official Formula E 2017/18 season DLC that is scheduled to drop into the Steam Store very early next week.

If you are interested to know what the new Formula E DLC feels like out on circuit we have something that might interest you... On Wednesday 29th around 20:30 GMT we will be streaming a talk and drive interview with Marcel Offermans as we check out the new cars and tracks. Keep an eye out at RD in the next day or two for more details...

Build 1109 Update Notes

EDIT: Build numbers updated from original S397 post to new numbers revealed today (27.11)

Open Beta DX11 Steam Build ID - 2317443 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
Default DX9 (OPT-OUT) Steam Build ID - 2317463 (rFactor 2 Build 1109)
  • (DX11) fixed the undercar shadow becoming hard to see at certain low sun angles and reflective road surfaces;
  • Removed an error message in the Launcher when a component already was installed because that's not an error;
  • Onboard controls for changing the engine brake mapping;
  • Physics enhancement to allow building engines that won't stall because they are electric;
  • Added proper playback of transmission sounds on AI/network cars;
  • Physics enhancement to properly generate heat when regenerating energy;
  • Added extra values to display in cockpits and on steering wheels for tyre pressures, temperature, and mixture, boost and brake mapping and brake bias settings;
  • (DX11) ambient undercar shadow fixes so they won't show up on parts of the car, just the ground underneath it.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon?
No.

The car is cool I guess. It's a unique content.
The track is a track. It's good to have another one. Even though I have no idea what would I race on it if I decide that I don't like the formula e.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. Because I expected another "usual" European track which is more suitable for the already released GT3 cars and announced GTE car if this makes sense. :D
But oh well content is content.

My question is, although it's a great addition where is the new weather and UI that we've been waiting for?

Soon TM.

As far as I know, they will release the weather in December. The new UI is pushed to next year because it is now not only new UI but also an online competition system with various online enhancements and it is also an in-game HUD replacement.
They are talked about this in one of the roadmap. It's all tied together so they can't release these individually.

Anyone playing this Sim in VR and can tell me about the implementation?
rF2 runs fine on my PC in VR although, there is an issue with the head movement being a bit off and feeling unnatural so I won't spend much time in it until that gets addressed. I'm not one to get VR sickness easily but, I do get quite uncomfortable in rF2 VR as it is now - even with the head movements turned all the way down.

Possible fixes may be to implement a "Lock to Horizon" setting or something like Real-Head-Motion (As in AC) where it uses movement that is more realistic / natural in VR.

Tbh in VR the limitations of the engine really show. Note that I’m running gtx970 + core i5 and have most things turned up to high settings, but dear god it looks ugly (with 1st-party content). Currently I’d put it behind r3e, ac, pc1/2 and iracing. Yes it’s that bad.

EDIT: I'm not having the issues with head movement that others are.

Last edited:

there is an issue with the head movement being a bit off and feeling unnatural so I won't spend much time in it until that gets addressed. I'm not one to get VR sickness easily but, I do get quite uncomfortable in rF2 VR as it is now - even with the head movements turned all the way down.
Same experience with the head movement here. Uncomfortable and sometimes dizzy so I am still waiting for updates. Although night and rain look better than I expected.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. Because I expected another "usual" European track which is more suitable for the already released GT3 cars and announced GTE car if this makes sense. :D
But oh well content is content.

On one hand, sure, but: There's plenty of European and US tracks either in the sim or on the workshop already. There's the official GT3 content, there's the EnduRacers mod, there's the Apex GT3 mod, just like there is in any other game of this calibre because GT3 is about as popular as... the series in real life as it turns out :p

However, I've only ever seen Assetto Corsa take a stab at electric engines, and then only hybrids. With FE Rfactor 2 is paving the way for a host of cool cars to be put in the game proper. Think the new NSX, the Teslas and the like. That's exciting stuff, especially for modders, but also for us who enjoy something different once in a while :D

You're not paying attention, LOL! From https://www.studio-397.com/2017/10/roadmap-update-october-2017/

"Some other things we talked about in earlier roadmaps that deserve an update:

• The Corvette C7.R GTE car is mostly done from a model point of view. We’re working on sound and physics and are looking at other options in GTE and related classes."

Ohh fair enough. I do remember reading that before, but it's just an update on the Vette. I like updates but was getting excited thinking of a new GTE :redface:

• Added extra values to display in cockpits and on steering wheels for tyre pressures, temperature, and mixture, boost and brake mapping and brake bias settings;
I am very glad about this feature. Hopefully the first step in allowing cycleable motec displays in car so I can get rid of the HUD. Fingers crossed mod teams implement this feature in new and also existing cars

I haven't experienced any weird head movement in VR. I'm using HTC vive. Feels just like any other title to me. But everything looks tiny. They really need a world scale adjustment like r3e and pc2.

About FE, can't say that I'm especially excited but who knows maybe they'll be fun to drive.

Works well for me and my PC (GTX970, i5cpu), unlike others I can ran in RF2 for a couple of hours with no sickness or other issues at all. It may not be as smooth as AC (or the pCars2 demo I tried) but personally it's perfectly fine to race in, VR is very individual though hence others have difficulty. It does need a Lock To Horizon feature which is missing as some cars on some tracks can be a bit too much at times, but the majority of content I'm fine with.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 61 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 126 13.7%