rFactor 2 Tips and Tricks

By the way my G27 is set between 540 and 900 depending on the car. Changing that setting affects what ratio you use. In addition, at least the megane also has a in game steering range. I am not sure yet how it interacts with the logitech one but playing with all these settings made the game a lot easier to drive and more realistic.

On the beta forum I've read each car has it's own specific steering range in-game. So I've set my profiler range to 900° and I let the game adjust the range according to the car I drive.

Also, keep in mind that for the steering torque adjustment to work, you have to reload your wheel settings in-game after adjusting that value (= redetecting your controller). Again, so I've been told :p It's all a bit trial and error at this point.

This thread will be used to gather important information about the rfactor game. As some issues will be fixed in later builds, and the final release, the content of this thread will be updated if needed.

- Installing the content on the regular rFactor2 game.

I am pretty sure everyone knows this part by now, but to be sure, I will address the installation once more. Besides that, there is also the removal of content which is a bit more difficult than just click uninstall in the MOD Manager.

- Installing.
To Install content, you have to place it into a package folder. For this instruction, we will use the default location. When you download content (MOD or Component files), place them in the package folder which can be found in the DATA section. (When installing rFactor2, you have to choose 2 locations, CORE and DATA. In this instruction, the DATA folder is in my documents).

Once the content is placed in the package folder, open your MOD manager. You can do this via the rFactor Launcher, and click MANAGE MODS in the right bottom.

To install a Complete MOD, you just have to right click on the mod name in the list, and select install. To install Component files, you first have to click OPTIONS in top menu, and UNTick the box for Show MODS only.

scrn1j.jpg

Then you right click the component, and select install.

Problem MOD's.
Virtual MOD's rely on the components used in that mod. When a component is not installed, the mod will be displayed as Problem mod.
scrn2a.jpg

To see what content is missing, right click on it, and select properties. There will be a few buttons displayed. Click on Advanced Info to see which components you need to install. Be aware. At the moment I am making this document, there is an issue with the detection of installed MODs. When A component is missing, ALL components are listed as Not Installed. You have to manually check if the components are there. Also not that it is version related! So if you have f.i. Searspoint V1.2 installed, and the mod requires version 1.3, it will be displayed as V 1.0 - not installed!

scrn3.jpg

When all components are installed, the MOD will be displayed in the regular list again.

- Uninstalling.
This part is a bit more tricky. You have to work the other way around here.

MOD Uninstall.
To Uninstall a complete MOD, right click on the mod in the MOD manager, and select uninstall. You have now De-activated the mod, but it is physically still present. To completely remove the mod, follow the instructions below for File Removal.

Component Uninstall
Components can only be uninstalled if there are no more mod's active which use this content. So first, uninstall all mod's which use the content you wish to remove. In the MOD manager, you can see how many mod's make use of certain content.
Once the mod's are removed, you can uninstall the components. Right click on them, and select uninstall. Same as with the complete mod uninstall, the content is just deactivated, but still present on the hard disk. Again, to remove the files look below for File Removal.

-File removal
When you have uninstalled the mod's via the MOD Manager, you can remove the files from the hard disk. To do so, you have to open the Windows Explorer, and go to the data folder of rFactor2.

In the data folder, are a 3 folders in which you have to remove files.
- ../rfactor2/packages - Here is the original package located (.rfmod or .rfcmp)
- ../rFactor2/Installed/rFm - Here is a file present, called [modname].mas
- ../rFactor2/Manifest - Here is a file present called [modname].mft

If all mod's are deactivated (Uninstalled via MOD Manager), you can manually remove these files to save some hard disk space, and keep performance of the game optimized. It also helps to keep the log file clean of errors.

- Downgrading in component or mod version.
After installing an update on a certain mod or component, there might be a need to Uninstall it again later on. When you are developing an update, it can happen that you want to test it, find something you want to change, make the change, and test it again. To do so, you have to uninstall the update first.

I have had several cased in which the downgrading went perfectly, by just right clicking on the mod or component, and select uninstall. However, I also have had that the complete mod disappeared. If this happens, here is a way to reinstall it again.
For this example we use the Meganes2009 COMPONENT! So I am JUST talking about the cars, not the sounds and all other aspects of the Mod.

It happened to me a few times that I uninstalled a made update, and the total entry of the Meganes2009 component disappeared. At that moment, it is NOT possible to reinstall. When you go back to the Show Mods Only option, the MOD ISI Meganes is missing in the list, so you can’t reinstall.
To fix, go to the explorer, and open the DATA folder of your rFactor2 install.
Go into the MANIFESTS folder, and delete the .mft file from the missing mod (MOD, not component!).
Open the MOD manager again, and refresh.
The mod will re-appear in the list again, as Uninstalled, so you can click install again.

All,

Please remove any old racedepartment mod you have presently installed. All mod's are no longer working. ISI changed a lot in their new update, and 1 of the updated features is the mod name. They can no longer contain special characters. As ALL racedepartment mods where using the @ character, they all do not work. There might be more reasons why they do not work, I do not know that yet.

All previous MOD ID's are removed, so online they will not work anymore at all.

I am still not sure how we will continue with the mods. As long as the game is in BETA, we can expect these kind of changes.

For all yet posted races, new mods will be created.

A little extra info on removing the RD mods.

Before you start removing, open the Single player of rfactor2. Select a series, car and track OTHER then the RD ones. Just take a default series.

Reason for this is that the last selected series is registred in the .ini files. So, if you delete them, and open the single player mode afterwards, the game still thinks you are playing the RD series. When you click on the car selection, and click showroom for instance, the game will crash.

Secondly, it can happen that not all files are removed. This results in diamond like icons displayed in the series selection. To fix this, do the following:

Open your explorer
Go to your data folder of rfactor2
Enter the INSTALLED/RFM folder
Look for any file that looks like an RD mod. Most will start with the letters RD. Delete those files.
Now go up 2 folders (back to the data folder that is), and enter the MANIFEST folder.
Do the same, and delete the files which are RD related.

That should fix it. If not, check the Userdata/player folder in your data folder. There are files called *.cch, which can be dealt with in the same way as described above.

the below settings are taken from here

"Global Device settings:
OES 101%
SES 0%
DES 0%
centering spring/unchecked
CSS 0%
Rotation 418% - dependes on driver,i use 270 - 350 max on all cars

Ingame, the only things I've changed is: overall ffb to .90 and the "Steering torque filter" to "4" in the controler config file (this hepls a little with the off road rattle)" - Jim Hawley

and more to the bottom of that page u can find a picture with some ingame settings,they work decent good for me

I have made this topic sticky. All messages related to other controllers will be moved out of this one, as the G27 needs special treatment in rf2. A lot of people have questions about it.

It would be nice if others, who have a G27 and made custom settings, can post the changes here.

I hope this helps anyone with a G25/G27 wheel.

121svwh.jpg

I recommend the above logitech profile settings for all your sim racing games. All you need to do is change degrees of rotation to your preference for games that don't adjust that in game.

Games like rF2, LFS, netkar Pro and iRacing set degrees of rotation in game automatically depending on what car your driving.

200e9m1.jpg

If you make sure "Vehicle Set" is set to green you don't need to set degrees of roation in the logitech profiler as rF2 will automatically set the rotation of the car you are driving in game. ;)

I hope this helps anyone with a G25/G27 wheel.

121svwh.jpg

I recommend the above logitech profile settings for all your sim racing games. All you need to do is change degrees of rotation to your preference for games that don't adjust that in game.

Games like rF2, LFS, netkar Pro and iRacing set degrees of rotation in game automatically depending on what car your driving.

200e9m1.jpg

If you make sure "Vehicle Set" is set to green you don't need to set degrees of roation in the logitech profiler as rF2 will automatically set the rotation of the car you are driving in game. ;)

This is pretty much what I got except that I have the 'centre spring' box ticked @ 0%

There seems to be an issue with downloading a mod from the server since build 101. Not sure what causes it, but there is a workaround available.

When selecting the GET MOD button, you can get presented with the password entry box, which you also get when joining a race. You can do 2 things now.

- Enter the club password.
The game will try to load, but as you do not have the mod installed (you where downloading it), it will present an empty car list.

- Just press Accept, without entering a password.
The mod will download now (At least it did during my testings).
The gamescreen will refresh when downloading is complete, and you can join the server.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Will update here when we have a fix for it.

There is one little other thing that also works, but I am not sure when exactly to use it. Mostly when it's not the downloading, but the joining phase.
If you have a problem joining, try to go into the mod manager via the multiplayer selection screen. Select the All cars and Tracks mod, and click OK.
Now try to join again.

This has something to do with non-existing mods, which are previously installed. But again, this needs further investigation first :) So consider this just a thing to try when having issues :)

As some miss updates, and ISI has a policy to remove any link to a previous update, I have uploaded them all to Gamefront. Here are the links. I will update this thread once a new update is released.

Original installer, build 45 -> Click here

Manual update Build 45 to 60 -> Click here
Manual update Build 60 - 68 -> Click here
Manual update Build 68 - 69 -> Click here
Manual update Build 69 - 85 -> Click here
Manual update Build 85 - 90 -> Click here
Manual update Build 90 - 101 -> Click here
Manual update Build 101 - 107 -> Click here

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No