• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 3)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Tony

Tony
    APIA RACING Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +714
    It's probably because their life is crap?

• Beer Beer x 8
    • Love Love x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Taranta

Taranta

Ratings:
    +60
    We are fortunate to have 397 (rF2) and Kunos (ACC), very passionate, who work very hard to carry on the two best sims currently (IRacing excluded because a too closed/armored and expensive system, despite having been a 5-year subscriber) I go from one to other without too many problems and with a lot of fun, and something about AC with Green Hell ;)
    The criticism is right, the complaint is an end in itself and destabilizing/harmful.

• Beer Beer x 3
  3. tr1v1um

tr1v1um

Ratings:
    +76
    No idea what you are trying to tell but the puddles look pretty similar to the pic with the starting grid. Water surfaces with standing water and without external influences like wind (as in the pic with Kimi) do infact look like mirrors. And going by your logic I can hardly say that any of the current gen sims is photorealistic in the way that you want to see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Pardon me for adding more up to this offtopic going on around in here.

That is funny vid by Austin and it slaps, but you have to understand that Reizas car is not exactly same by design. In case if it should be more similar, and in this situation it seems like arcade car performs more accurately than a car in a simulation, we have to realize that performance and vehicle dynamics are separate things. Performance is the result of various parameters, which in the end gives the cornering speeds, laptimes and so on.... Vehicle dynamics is the result of all the serious stuff, it is what simulation brings, it is responsible for handling, and it makes it strict to be able to achieve the full performance. Arcade and simulation can have same performance, but think it as a puzzle that is same size, but one is made out of much fewer pieces. Ofcourse simulation can be off, or even arcadish if parameters are wrong, it is not simple.

Austin by now is known as great simracing troll, he has made some great trolling on various occasions. I don't know if this is just fun for him, if he honestly believes that he does a right thing, but it is basically messing up with people who don't understand a thing, and pushing them away backwards from simulation lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. Tony

Tony
    APIA RACING Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +714
    Was trying to find out what you meant as i saw no such comment, then i checked my ignore list and realized why:)

• Haha Haha x 6
  6. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +668
    It gets bloody confusing when you see someone arguing with nothing :D

• Haha Haha x 5
  7. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis

Ratings:
    +14
    I have been doing modding in ISI sim-racing games for over 12 years. I will limit myself to say that, for me, this comment falls on its own. There are small details and personal knowledge that I have, which allow me to see certain contradictions in your point of view (regarding what I have seen in that video).

Having said that, back to the topic. Have everyone a good time for part 4, because AFAIK, it comes today!

8. Oldzeb

Oldzeb

Ratings:
    +113
    3 big and interesting interview, and 20 pages to discuss about graphics and ACC...nothing absolutely nothing about things that progresses well and future additions the conversations become really sad here...still in negative criticism you've all become French or what? :O_o:

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maurits Vernel

Maurits Vernel

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't care that much about graphics. I care about the racing and about the AI being good and realistic, while the game also provides a lot of options for modding. People still play games like NR2003 and Grand Prix 4 because those games provide great racing and are relatively easy to mod.

The graphics of this game are fine and don't need any changes.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. tr1v1um

tr1v1um

Ratings:
    +76
    The thing is, Reiza simply built a generic modern spec F1 car roughly based on regulation guidelines, even without proper hybrid support, so breaking mechanics, df-levels and power delivery aswell as the tires themself can be completely different. Then there are external conditions that play a huge role, that he simply ignores. That comparison just shows his level of knowledge. :)

And yes, a Mario Kart could lap Spa in the same time as an F1 car, wich would prove nothing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. enduser282

enduser282

Ratings:
    +4
    Exactly , btw car reflections i wouldnt even bother with who stares at that when driving , if you want car hood reflections go play NFS FFS! Generic light reflections are more than good enough for me, instead eg. in rf2 i would like to see shadows on the mirrors for a short distance at least, in the pit garage its dark all around but the mirror objects are in the sun light... but nobody will see this in the social media so nobody cares!

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Awesome I have been doing bit of modding myself in AC and in rF2... But I haven't ever been very much about modern racing cars, let alone F1 cars. But I don't think you could understand those if you didn't understand simple cars.

I wonder do you disagree that I have claimed that overall simulation and utilization of it is not the same ? For example obviously you can end up with bit too much grip in simulation and you are off in terms of performance immediately. But you could be dead spot on in arcade with those parameters, but you'll be off in way more things such as difficulty of getting and staying within high performance window, and reasons for that.

13. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,332
    It's claims like this that never cease to amaze me.

• Agree Agree x 9
  14. fireballr18

fireballr18

Ratings:
    +39
    Oooh guys....plenty of threads regarding ACC (who cares here???) and graphics. It's kinda tiring.

I wonder which topics have been left for part 4. We had future content, AI, UI, Competition system, SP modes, MP, graphics, sounds....

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  15. enduser282

enduser282

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, BUT, its the developer whos spending months for that new PBR car shader that looks worse than the previous one and the same for creating 6 layer livery material, have you even noticed it at all, is that what the game needs atm??
    Even in the graphics department game needs other things like the striking bad cloud rendering, and before that theres AI issues that could be solved by now like adding code for proper ai pit scheduling, tire choices, and the other known problems.

Creating a paddle map for Interlagos so curbs dont turn grey, is that a day's work, make that planar map and copy paste some paddles... , I could have done if i hadnt only 8gb memory and had the right program to create the planar map so its nothing for a pro developer like S397.
    But those 6 layer paint cars will look so good when passing by the greyed out curbs /sarcasm.
    Someone might say dont drive in Interlagos problem solved, idk do you agree with that mentality to hide things under the carpet, or wait 5+ years until certain things which you need when racing and playing the game are implemented? I don't.

Good to see rf2 progressing , needs many things to be done but my point is with a small team of 30 ppl better have some priorities that reflect what your player base & product needs most.

So its not (only) the players that play the "my sim looks better than yours" game, better show what can be done with rf2 physics, theres 1 vid that tries to show F1 graphics make 2 that show rf2 physics in action which btw is a much more complicated matter then some twat ab-ing sim graphics vs a much older graphics engine in yt.
    Good marketing is to show where your trully advanced vs other sims, instead of uploading pics on instagram, AMS2 with new engine will be doing the same , more eye candy for your eyes whats new.

16. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis

Ratings:
    +14
    The reason why I didn't go into any detail is because this is not the topic to do that. I could write a really long post about the subject (regarding Codemasters simulation value as well), but I'll pass. I choose to save my ideas for myself, and continue contributing my modding skills to a group of engineers in exchange of receiving improved physics that I will enjoy in 100% race distances, because it is way more worthy than winning (or trying to win) arguments.

Right now I have to make preparations to enjoy a week of camping.

You should stick to the topic as well. Give sense to your pardon.

Regards,
    Cristian Luis.

• Haha Haha x 1
  17. enduser282

enduser282

Ratings:
    +4
    I d like everything and right now too but there's nothing without cost in real life, these kind of fx where developed for arcade racers which dont have real time shadows , lighting fx, weather, tire models, track conditions etc. All that costs in performance, and then costs time & money to try and optimise everything.
    So asking from a small developer team to recreate the universe and sell it you for tree fiddy on steam, get real kids.

edit:
    Also if you notice in ir the car refletions update rate is so slow that it looks utter crap, and its slow to help with fps so you might as well turn it off, just saying.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  18. rubennaatje

rubennaatje

Ratings:
    +11
    in gtr2 it works, even with mods.

19. Leynad777

Leynad777
    Premium

Ratings:
    +211
    From a pure VR-perspective i have to lower down so much in any title for driveable framerates, i don't care for effects. VR-graphics i would separate into four main categories: performance, clarity/sharpness, eye-candy stuff, usability. So far rF2 is the best VR-experience with iRacing, while last one wins on the clarity/sharpness and performance and rF2 looks actually more eye-candy due to higher resolved polygon-models and better shadings. pCars 2 looses so much on clarity and sharpness, that the eye-candy winner can't compete overall. Raceroom looks a bit like iRacing with lesser performance and flickering shadows if not turned off. And ACC is the worst in any of the category.

20. Mantas Jokubauskas

Mantas Jokubauskas

Ratings:
    +41
    inb4 in Part 4 Studio 397 surprise us and they announce that the new UI will be available in Beta next week. :D
    Anyway, it's nice to read this interview! As a Single-Player-Prefference player myself, I always look forward to the next AI/Offline improvements, because AI, while sometimes a bit all over the place, is one of the best AI I have ever raced against. And after I played this game more, it's had to adjust to other racing games - the feel the game gives to you, it's impressive!
    I think regarding the "Graph X" section (haha), the game could see some improvements, mainly with lower settings. I'm sure the game looks amazing with higher settings, but I think the zone where it falls flat is lower settings, and these are often needed since if you forget to reduce the settings you can experience some annoying freezes (you can put it as performance issues).
    And of course, loading times can be a pain sometimes. (Plus, this "packaging" system, while simplifies sharing, is a bit "meh", sadly - just difficult to sometimes deal with that PLUS double the size if subsribed from Steam Workshop.)

Still, the game is good fun. Though I mainly use it for hotlapping, when I want - I'm not confident with my online abilities at all, heh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.