• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 3)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 7, 2019.

1. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit

Ratings:
    +22
    Not, that I’m interested in music while racing, but playing in the pits from the pit speaker system sounds interesting, could there be a way to add your own music files, there by sidestepping the licence issues?

2. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +668
    Personally i think adding a simple music player is possible (Euro Truck Simulator 2 has one for example), but for me this is wasted energy in a racing simulator and relatively pointless. By that i mean everyone has Windows media player, or winamp (legend of a music player that!) or some other one they can use in the background so is it worth the Devs time and effort to add an in game version? Not for me.

Whilst having music played over tannoy's at the track would be "cool", i just don't think the small number of users to use it would justify the time to code something like that.

There's far more important areas already to concentrate on and if we look at RF2 and other Sims they're all missing "something" from the actual simulation experience of driving, that's long before we consider in game music.

Nice idea, but nope, not for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Assuming you missed the rFactor 2 Le Mans 24 hour issues this weekend. :rolleyes:

• Haha Haha x 5
  4. racingdud3

racingdud3

Ratings:
    +3
    This thread should have been titled: RF2 THE BIG WAITING TIME , LOL

Still love rf2 and have many hopes for the improvements to come, but ****...when?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Haha Haha x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Ghoults

Ghoults

Ratings:
    +533
    I'd imagine the reason for the super slow loading times is a combination of old tech, complex data structures, spaghetti code and big data files with lots of duplicate information. Rf2 also has multiple layers of packaging and each 3d mesh has more data than other games that is used less efficiently (or is basically useless duplicate). Just alone the fact that rf2 uses 4 uvmaps per mesh despite all them being identical in most cases already adds a 4x multiplier to some operations. Add in a mixture of various old file formats like bmp, tga and it all just keeps adding up. Although it is not straightforward to compare rf2 to any other game directly because you'd need to make sure the files going into the games need to be identical to get a comparable result and I have 0 interest doing that comparison. Regardless I'm sure rf2 3d files are heavier than the 3d files other games use. There is not really any more useful data in them. The data is just stored, loaded and used inefficiently.

I think rf2 doesn't have any optimizations (or can not have due to its spaghetti code and packaging nature) so it loads each content one at a time from start to finish. I think only ai files for the cars are loaded together for all cars in the end. Because how rf2 has veh files that can deeply alter the cars I'd imagine the way rf2 loads cars is that each skin is effectively loaded as full car from start to finish. This probably means rf2 goes through each car's folders and packages from start to finish loading decryption, data files, sounds, physics, car textures, pit crew textures and 3d objects one after other (not in that order obviously) per each car and then starts again from 0 for the next car whereas modern games tend to do all those things in batches. I think due to the rf2 loading code being really old being written when computers had something like 2gb of memory and with ssds not used yet so going through each skin individually from start to finish is easier to fit into the memory than working with with fewer larger sets of data. Maybe even reading and writing to the disk constantly to avoid using too much ram.

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB

Ratings:
    +113
    This ancient way of loading (and holding) files could also explain the way rF2 does handle the 3 urgent JSON files(controller, player, multiplayer) when the game crashes.
    In a more modern game the files are loaded into memory and then closed on the HD/SSD while the game are running.
    But in rF2 the files are not closed - so if the game crashes the files on the HD are (very) often damaged and cannot be accessed after the crash.
    After my install of rF2 under Steam I had 3-4 crashes which completely destroyed the 3 mentioned JSONs - again and again!
    And eventhough I consider the rF2 TM/physics one of the best out there I got fed up with the mandatory reconstruction of the files and the following wheel calibration and graphic setting reconstruction.
    So I finally deleted rF2 from my HD.:rolleyes:
    And use instead mainly Raceroom (or to a lesser degree ACC and pCars2) - because none of these 3 racing games have such laughable problems. :whistling:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/the-game-dont-start.63297/#post-989146

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. PartyPePe

PartyPePe

Ratings:
    +27
    Modern grahics engines such as Unreal Engine 4 are seemingly able to load huge amounts of data in matter of seconds which results in extremely short loading times.

8. tr1v1um

tr1v1um

Ratings:
    +76
    I smell big BS right there. Mind you, I had a few crashes aswell in the past few years while playing rF2 - mostly while loading a track or while closing the sim and fortunately never while being on track, but I never ever had to deal with the controller.json, multiplayer.json or controller files after a crash. Before writing such nonesense I would make sure that I have an idea of what I am dealing with. And those other mentioned sims have other laughable issues too that I won't mention here, because neither ACC nor PCars 2 are of interest in this topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo
    Premium

Ratings:
    +763
    Same, playing rf2 since 2015, some crashes here and there, deleting any file to make it work again was never necessary. To be fair I never needed even a reinstall.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. marvelharvey

marvelharvey

Ratings:
    +8
    Indeed. If you load a track with 104 identical cars, the same car will be loaded into memory 104 times... when just the once should suffice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB

Ratings:
    +113
    Calling others posts bullshit and being overly aggressive often points to problems with one self.
    So I will refrain from going into discussion on that level.
    Have a nice day.:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Maurits Vernel

Maurits Vernel

Ratings:
    +22
    The game is based on F1 challenge 99-02, which is a game from 2003.

As for the AI pitting problems in wet races; the problem is that the AI picks wet tyres based on two parameters that don't correspond very well. At the start of a wet race the track is not yet wet (0%), but the rain factor is 100%. So, the AI starts out on wet tyres because the rain factor is 100%, then pits for hard tyres because the track is not yet wet, then pits again for wets because the track has gotten wet. If that makes any sense. It can easily be solved by having the track start out wet instead of dry at the start of the race. Then the AI does not pit for wets, then dries, then wets again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. enduser282

enduser282

Ratings:
    +4
    BMP or tga are not used, except from dds, png is used for animations, otherwise i think ur on point.
    Map layers from what i see are pretty much the same in AC at least for tracks idk about cars. An important difference i ve seen however is object nesting, i suspect AC (not even ACC & UE4 which is very optimized) fast loading times are because track loads 7-8 big kn5 files and then game compiles them into a track with various objects with separate properties, while in rf2 mesh grouping is minimal usually, eg. if u need a different LOD out u need a different mesh file as well, same with textures AC uses large multimaps a lot more than rf2 so the number of files need to be loaded and allocate memory for (along with memory pointers) is huge in comparison.

Also rf2 1st of all needs to extract all those files from largely compressed package file(s).... rf2 methodology is for benchmarking!
    Since servers usually have their own mods u need to download i dont see the point for packing and un-packing all the time, and while compression saves disk space u also have duplicates in the steam folder.

On the other hand high bandwidth is common, i downloaded RRE ~32gb in what took me more than 1.30 hours only to delete it after a few minutes...

Rf2 still the best sim out there (i only haven't played iracing).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. tr1v1um

tr1v1um

Ratings:
    +76
    I will, darling. :inlove:

... while not sh*t posting how bad sim xyz is while overglorifying something else.

15. Andy_J

Andy_J
    I hate VR. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Premium

Ratings:
    +3,565
    Actually from 2000 with EA's F1 2000. ;)

16. E304LIFE

E304LIFE
    Premium

Ratings:
    +80
    "If you ask me personally I don’t think a trackmap is a very “sim” like feature"

Agreed!

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. b)b

b)b
    Premium

Ratings:
    +46
    And some of that data is encrypted as well.
    I suppose at least multi-threading all that loading so it takes advantage of multiple cores would really help.
    But I vaguely sense it is not in the priority list...

18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +439
    Is this image from interview post altered, how I can get these colors in game, currently have everything on max?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. MPortnoy

MPortnoy

Ratings:
    +239
    Hard to believe this statement made it to the final list of questions. If this was the case, GT Sports and PC2 would be the most popular sims here at Racedepartment, which they are obviously not.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. MPortnoy

MPortnoy

Ratings:
    +239

This is good news for leagues I suppose, but what about Single Player? :cautious:
    For one, mandatory pitstops could be a workaround for the issue of AI pitting unnecessarily when Fuel and Tire usage are enabled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.