• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 3)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 7, 2019.

1. b)b

b)b
    Premium

Ratings:
    +46
    There was a question on grass but not trees: trees on Le Mans are awful looking, very old school and not lit properly. AMS1 has better grass, trees and vegetation than that (see Ibarra or Oulton Park for example). That's a bit sad. If Nords has that bad vegetation, it will not be nice.
    Although I generally like and enjoy rF2, there are so many things on the graphic side that can detract from immersion.

And loading tracks is dead slow, even on fast hardware. I'm amazed nobody at Studio 397 seem to have profiled it to understand the bottleneck (probably CPU related because SSDs are crazy fast) and make a plan to improve it...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Beer Beer x 1
  2. Kresh

Kresh
    Premium

Ratings:
    +182
    So much negativity towards Studio 397, people tend to forget they acquired the rights to an already existing very buggy title and decided to work on it and improve it. I bet the better way would have been for them to just work on it under closed doors and release it by a new name as a new sim.

All I know if it wasn't for Studio 397 to save this title, rFactor 2 would have been dead and that would have been very sad for me personally since is my favorite sim racing title (I enjoy all of the other titles as well).

As for the graphics which people seem to cling to in every rFactor 2 post that happens everywhere on the Internet, I think it looks great for a sim title, is more grounded and realistic looking, not over the top "Photoshop filter" look and I really don't notice 3D grass or whatever other eye candy when I am having so much fun racing other people here in RD. If you notice 3D grass when you are racing all I can say is you are doing it wrong:p.

The competition system and the multiplayer updates are something I am looking very much forward too.

Great interview, looking forward for the last part.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 3
  3. Bonehead

Bonehead
    Premium

Ratings:
    +113
    First of all, I think the team at RF2 are doing a fantastic job! In my opinion they have leapfrogged this simulation further than I ever thought it would be even last year. They deserve much credit for that, and my hat's off to them for the hours of enjoyment I get from their sim.

Secondly/ I just got home after two days at the real Sebring International Raceway, zipping around in my Miata. When I was reading the threads on the informative RF2 interview, I kept reading about graphics. I have a 1070, and to me the sim looks and runs great. I read about the trees at LeMans looking old, however during the first Iaps drove there on the sim, I actually was impressed with them. I guess everyone has their opinions, and that's fine.

After reading about the graphic I thought back to what I looked in real live driving on the Sebring track yesterday and today. There are four bridges at Sebring with banners either painted, or attached to them. I never noticed the banners, never mind even read one. There are banners along the front straight and I have no clue at all what advertisement was on them. There are trees, a hotel, a billboard, and many other things I never see from my cockpit.

I am completely focused on the track. From looking at the braking point to the turn in point, to the apex, then where I am tracking out to; I am 99 percent focused on the track itself. Add in looking at my mirrors a hundred times a lap, and I am a busy guy. I have thousand of laps at the real Sebring, and my jaw drops with the complete accuracy of this track and drives in RF2. So if the trees aren't exact, the bridge structure isn't exact, the hotel color isn't exact, I don't really care.

This is a great racing simulation, and it's going to get better! :)

• Beer Beer x 11
    • Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Tar Heel

Tar Heel

Ratings:
    +99
    I would like to think the number of questions aimed at AI performance shows that a large portion of the community is interested in an improved offline experience.

Hopefully the wait for offline editions to the UI and improvments to the AI don't take too long after its release. It's honestly a pain using the analyzer and I hope S397 don't consider that "good enough" moving forward. It's 2019 and I don't think it is asking for too much to have custom offline championships as a feature and not something we have to rely on 3rd party apps to cover.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  5. 2stains

2stains

Ratings:
    +166
    Similar time even on my HDD! Super quick loader is ACC. Not sure why but it is great to click load and it's game time straight away instead of clicking play and going to get a coffee and back only to be 3/4 loaded, lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Haha Haha x 1
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,985
    Not bothered by 30-90 seconds of loading if I know that I am really going to drive, and not going to do 10 six minute tryouts in the evening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +432
    ACC is plagued by technical and performance issues. Look at AC and how player base climbs up due to CSP and SOL mods.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur

Ratings:
    +612
    That is good to know, thank you, which tracks would you recommend?

9. Flip-Flop Driver

Flip-Flop Driver

Ratings:
    +63
    Have you noticed that when the game first show a car after the loading screen it displays a lower resolution texture for a split second like some other Unreal titles?
    Perhaps it uses some software solution similar to partially resident textures/tiled resources.
    So when the game renders a scene it actually is streaming only about the essential for that view.

10. A man with a Harmonica

A man with a Harmonica

Ratings:
    +7
    Edit> Wrong quote.

Thank you for take our questions to rF2 staff. This is a simulator which is worth to keep up the development.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. A man with a Harmonica

A man with a Harmonica

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, AC rain imods are a complete contraption and the SOL is very nice but it's not nowhere close of ACC (UE4) light system. Can't get all the ACC negativity so far. But it's offtopic anyway.

• Beer Beer x 4
  12. Alex72

Alex72

Ratings:
    +499
    CrewChief is your answer, my man. :) Can be set so it wont interfere with MP chatter and only give you whatever info you want. When rolling out and car(s) are on the pit straight CrewChief tells you "be careful when exiting the pit". Awesome mod that i cant live without because it basically cover all HUD elements in spoken information that sounds 100% human.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Beer Beer x 1
  13. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,313
    @Alex72 No, Crew Chief isn't the answer. As much as I can't imagine racing without him, not even his info on leaving the pitlane is reliablet - he commonly tells me there's a car coming and then there's no car at all, or just the other day in the Donington Tatuus race he told me on multiple occasions the pit exit is clear and if I didn't know he's not reliable, I would've came out right in front of incoming car. So you absolutely can't rely on his information in this regard.

And he is of no help with rejoining when you got off the track as well, which was what I was talking about. Much more reliable to check the mirrors (if possible due to angle and/or say the dust behind you covering the view) and track map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +410
    Did that make you feel good hehehe ;)

Why does anyone think the small % of users that race online are more important ?
    Waste years on stuff off liners never needed

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +432
    Not sure why it should make me feel better, was responding to the claim that better looking game (ACC) does not attract users. :O_o:

16. M.Guenette

M.Guenette

Ratings:
    +13
    Paul , I'm hoping you asked about the possibility of an AI talent editor for those of us who like to race off-line.
    The options are there in the current UI but are grey out and unusable.
    Fingers crossed ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Peter Koslowski

Peter Koslowski

Ratings:
    +30
    Fortunately I drive fast and still see well! If I find a woman beautiful, I can make her even more happy!

• Haha Haha x 2
  18. 2stains

2stains

Ratings:
    +166
    And I was responding to the post that rF2 has low numbers because of lesser graphics! So it must have made you feel good :p

19. cam.d.walker

cam.d.walker

Ratings:
    +14
    Not exactly complaining, maybe lamenting a little here, but I was really excited about the Reynard 95i when it was announced all those years ago. I accepted it was never coming, but thank you to Marcel for at least offering some closure.

20. Rory Wetherington

Rory Wetherington
    pflynhi Premium

Ratings:
    +80
    First off, I totally support Studio 397 the best I can by purchasing all the DLC that has to do with combustible engine driven cars and tracks and have no problem justifying the pricing either because for every 1 item you buy they release 2-3 for free. However it is little disappointing hearing that offline custom championships is not getting added any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.