rFactor 2 | Taking Stock And What Comes Next

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have given fans an interesting insight into the ongoing development of the simulation, as they continue to investigate and identify bugs and issues whilst expanding the core experience.
  • Bug tracking and fixing overview
  • Advice for driver swap workaround
  • Release documentation for modders

As many of you will be well aware, Studio 397 are the development team behind rFactor 2, and thanks to the changing world landscape brought about by the Covid-19 situation, recently found themselves thrust into the spotlight as the simulation of choice for the virtual Le Mans 24 Hours event held a couple of weeks ago.

rF2 Le Mans 2.jpg

Although the event was a huge success for the studio and sim racing itself, 24 hours of racing and 200 + drivers did bring up a few issues with endurance racing within the sim, and the team are actively looking to recreate and rectify these problems - with work having already started to yield some positive results:
"A few weeks ago, after the 24 hour race, we promised to give you regular updates of our efforts to track down and fix the issues that occurred during that race, and a few races before that. In fact, this effort is not something we started two weeks ago, it is an ongoing process. But before we look at the specific issues, let us first explain a bit more about software development and fixing bugs" said Marcel Offermans of Studio 397.​

For starters, let’s give you a bit of background on how we develop code, the processes we have in place to ensure that our code is correct as well as a brief introduction on what kind of bugs there are in code and how to fix them.
Every change we make to the codebase, either to fix a bug or to implement a new feature, is developed in isolation. As soon as the developer working on it is confident the change is correct, he or she will do two things. The first is to ask at least two colleagues to review the changes. By getting others to look at the code, we typically catch mistakes that the original author would miss. I’m sure you have had cases where you are blind to your own spelling mistakes when writing some text. For code it’s typically no different. The second is to create a build on Steam that can be tested by others. If the change passes both checks, it gets integrated into the next update. That goes to our group of beta testers who again test the change to ensure it works as designed. If that passes, you will find the change in the next public update.
So that’s how we deal with changes. What about the extensive codebase we already have? Here the process starts by identifying a bug and being able to find a series of steps to reproduce it. If we can reproduce it, we typically have no problem fixing the underlying issue.
There are two types of bugs in code. Bugs that come from mistakes in the logic of the code. Once identified they are typically easy to reproduce and fix. The second type is timing and threading related, also known as concurrency bugs, and in recent years these tend to happen more often as processors get more and more cores and a lot of things happen simultaneously. Reproducing this type of bug is usually a lot more tricky as the slightest change in the execution timing might cause it to appear or disappear. Finding them requires a combination of luck, lots of testing and in some cases rigorous code reviews. Given that the rFactor 2 codebase consists of millions of lines of code (to compare, a typical novel will be around 15.000 lines) you can probably figure out that going over it front to back is going to be a very time consuming process. And you might still glance over the actual issue (do you still remember what the name of the street was that the main protagonist was crossing on page 34?).
Now that we’ve explained the process, let’s go back to the 24 hour event. Directly after the race we started analyzing and categorizing all the different reports we got and pretty soon we were convinced that we were looking at one or more concurrency issues. Reproducing these was going to be tricky. We have a framework that we can use to setup fully automated tests, so our first step was to try and reproduce the exact conditions of this 24 hour race. Specifically we started designing test scenarios that resembled the reports. Two weeks later, we are now seeing the first results of those tests, with a reproducible scenario that we are investigating further. I expect us to be able to explain more in the next roadmap, but the good news is that we found something.
As a result of finding something, we also have some preliminary advice for those running endurance races. Contrary to what most series have been doing, making sure that the replacement driver joins shortly before the intended driver swap and then having the original driver disconnect soon after, it for now is probably better for all drivers to join the server before the race starts and stay on the server throughout the whole event. Our code in theory can handle up to 104 drivers and another 104 spectators, so if your races have less than that, try out this advice while we continue to track down these issues.

rF2 Le Mans.jpg

Of course rFactor 2 is very much a platform favoured by endurance drivers, and any improvements to the stability of the simulation in long distance racing and driver swapping situations is likely to be well received by the vast majority of the playerbase. However, another key aspect of rFactor 2 is the ability for community members to create and release mods for the software, and this is something that the Dutch studio have long since mentioned they want to improve and increase the levels of documentation and tools for established and aspirin modders alike.

Thankfully, it looks like Studio 397 are on the road towards developing some much needed further documentation around these very subject, as Marcel continues:

"With all the recent updates to the game visuals, we are now preparing to release documentation to help modders take full advantage of these updates. For now this will focus on track content, with car updates coming at a later date. We have been working hard to upgrade our tools and documentation to help make that possible. Tools will be made available including 3ds Max 2021 plugins and an independent Material Editor, and full documentation will be released for the shaders, as well as some guides and tips for getting setup. This will represent a significant step forward in the way content can be created and the options available to modders, with all the latest features, including improving night-time effects, tree shading and road and terrain blending options. To support this, we will release an updated Loch Drummond that will be included in ModDev by default. This track is a small fantasy circuit that has been updated to make full use of the various options from our work on recent tracks.
In recent updates, we made adjustments to old content to help it be compatible with lighting updates. We will add a few options here to help modders, including the ability to disable these changes on a per-material basis if required. Also with this update, we will allow modders to customize the atmospherics in tracks again. This will now be in the form of scalars to adjust the density of haze in different conditions and also to set the amount of air pollution. This should result in an easier to use system and help us keep effects consistent across the game.
This information will all be made available on our Developers Guide: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/

rf2 portland.jpg

So that's the immediate future of rFactor 2 covered, just left to remind you that the studio recently deployed a new update to the simulation that includes the liveries of the Le Mans 24 Hours for those who own the cars, the recent free Portland track, various BOP improvements, announced the Ferrari 488 GT3 and a further, as yet unannounced GT3 car alongside a nice update coming the way of the existing models, Silverstone updates and plenty more besides.

A good time to be a sim racer and rFactor 2 fan it seems....

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rF2 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
My bet is... (clue, they like having cars nearing the end of their racing life)

2019 Porsche 911 GT3 R
2020 Mercedes GT3 Evo
2018 Bentley Continental GT3

but then I would rather have these to seeing skins put onto an incorrection generation to add numbers

Would be nice to have these
Honda NSX
Lexus RC F GT3
Nissan GT-R
Lamborghini Huracán GT3 (the least likely)

As for non-GT3s
Porsche 911 RSR-19 (the very least likely)
The Huracan is way more likely than the Lexus due to Toyota's licensing BS.

Hopefully they will do something to the AI. Cant even run safety cars these days because the AI keep making mistakes that it will be in a perpetual safety car incident.

And bloody hell, how about some cheaper content?

Cheaper? Let's see... Example: 488 GTE, 5€/$. Let's assume:
20% VAT
30% for Steam
25% flat company tax on net earnings

This is 2.10€/$ per sale. You need to sell this a lot of times to cover the costs.
What is the price now for LM24, Sebring, The Ring & Azure? 18,50? I guess we all know what it takes to laser-scan a track and make something from this point cloud - and we still think it needs to be even cheaper?

For anyone who is truly interested in what is in the works for rF2, and people who always end up with my sim is better than yours and so on just read part 1 and find a different hobby :) , because the more sim the better (providing they are actually fun)

other than that I have to say I am surprised what Studio 397 accomplished the last 3 or so months, respect from me :thumbsup:

Part 3 https://www.gsrh.gg/news_posts/10

Last edited:
I hear this so often from the fanboi's, but it's just not true. It may be the most advanced, but noone, not even S397, can use it right. There are always glaring issues in the physics of new cars that never seem to get resolved (just see this thread for examples).

The proof to me that RF2 isn't any good to me is with my professional clients. Of (mostly australian) ones I have, 50% are with AMS, 30% are with RF1 and 20% are Assetto Corsa. I've had 2 try rF2 and just go back to rF1 after a few month's, it's just not good enough.
So because you made bad experiences with rF2 it means that it isn't any good? ISI must have been some pretty dumb idiots developing rF2 after rF1 and downgrading their product. Seriously, it makes no sense to discuss with people whos first argument is fanboyism. And who are you btw? The overlord of factual truth who questions big companies using rF2 and not your beloved other platforms, that are used somewhere in a backgarden. Go and play rF1 in it's raw form and then make a back to back try with rF2 in it's raw form. I've done that last week and I am glad that we aren't stuck with rF1. Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love the sim and it's mods, but sometimes it's just too obvious that times have changed :rolleyes:

Probably true, I was mostly facetious, as there is progress, but at the same time that engine must be super hard to work with as the progress are not coming as fast as every ones hope.:):)
I got to say I am allways a bit torn apart on the development speed topic and how people picture it. As with ACC and AMS2, it's quite obvivious that there are other challenges and issues, sometimes limitations if I think about stuff like gridsize, rulesystems, VR support, AI and there is alot more the deeper you dig with no modding in both sims being the biggest letdown for me, and at the end it is something that Reiza and Kunos never had to deal with the last years. Kunos made a clever choice to limit their car classes wich helps them tremendously. Just thinking about how long it takes to create a proper tire in rF2, with different compounds and weather support, it's obvious that Kunos went the easier route there, but going more into detail in some areas, in other areas clearly not. Reiza aimed to release their own game in 2017 iirc, so they are basicly 3 years behind schedule with a very grude foundation and I am not really sure if I would call it as fleshed out as AMS. It might change but it's quite obvious that there is alot of content that will be reused from PCars2. The toughest job of adding Spa to AMS2 was propably the lisencing deal, so if you own PC2 and AMS2 you payed practicaly two times for the same track. Same goes for Silverstone. In the meantime S397 rewrote a graphics engine and the whole UI system from scratch, wich is something that often gets overlooked and helped building a game and lot's of new content for rF2 while maintaining old stuff, even helping AMS to get where it is today. To consider any of the players in this genre as slow or as amateurs would be foolish and considering how far we have come in the last five years, we are damn spoilt. ;)

easier export from MAX directly into RF2 could really help to make this more accessible to people like me

It would be more accessible if they made Blender plug-ins. Not everyone can afford 3DS MAX, even at current subscription prices. And no one really wants to sail the "High Seas" anymore for fear of giving their PC's the digital Clap.

So happy they fixed the GTE BOP, now I'm just waiting for the 488 gt3. Been holding off buying the 488 gte and le mans because supposedly they are releasing a 488 gt3, 488 gte, and le man pack, is that correct? Anyways, I wish individual DLC was discounted on steam summer sale instead of these new packs where I own 85% of the content already.

Also in the future I would like s397 to focus a bit more on offline. Particularly the way some A.I. performs on certain tracks, they seem to spin out too much. This is noticeable with the a.i. amg gt3

It would be more accessible if they made Blender plug-ins. Not everyone can afford 3DS MAX, even at current subscription prices. And no one really wants to sail the "High Seas" anymore for fear of giving their PC's the digital Clap.
very good point! hopefully that might come too
which is maybe why it's better how AC has done it, that it's all about improting FBX into the "engine" directly, and do all the rest of the work there, becasue then it doesn't matter what your source program is

20% VAT
30% for Steam

This is 2.10€/$ per sale. You need to sell this a lot of times to cover the costs.
What is the price now for LM24, Sebring, The Ring & Azure? 18,50? I guess we all know what it takes to laser-scan a track and make something from this point cloud - and we still think it needs to be even cheaper?

Compared to DLCs by Kunos for AC and ACC and the ones by Sector 3 for R3E, the rF2 DLCs are really more expensive.

I am still waiting for the new UI to be officially released, still no word on when that may be???????
Any ideas yet???? And I do not want to install the UI beta because of my own personal reasons. The old UI works fine till they officially release a good fully working new one.

I have always liked Rfactor 2 even though it may not be my most used/time spent as some of the my other racing games are now. Thanks for the improvements you continue to do for Rfactor 2. Other than Assetto Corsa, I really like what all the mod community has provided for Rfactor 2. Kind of the last games to easily add mods for new tracks and cars, not these cosmetic changes that are going on in the new games now.

Of course I can see some reasoning why not being able to modify or create new track/car content in the newer games, makes it easier for online play to all be running the same tracks and cars and maybe few other reasons.

Last edited:
20% VAT
30% for Steam

It would cheap for you in Euro but I am not earning in Euro. The price I see is essentially 50 per track and it is absurd for the quality at that price when I can literally buy another game. If Kunos, SMS, Reiza and so on are happy to sell at lower price and still make money, why is S397 so expensive?

Not to mention, the quality is crap. The cars and tracks have so many issues like the 488GTE was using the GT3's LED lights and position or Vantage GTE interior was still written GT3. Or the Reiza cars all glowing in fluorescence white after the shader changes. It is esports and esports, the offline AI races are getting more and more bugged in each build. The new UI is literally a joke as it took them so long to get it out. I think they really need to think about some maintenance patches to fix up some of the long standing issues than keep flogging that Le Mans event.

I generally pay for R3E content happily even at similar price because I know it generally will work. rF2 content is overpriced as hell for the low quality.

Last edited:
Studio 397 probably have the largest scope of problems to deal with compared to its competitors. For AMS2 Reiza didn't need to develop the engine, for ACC there was a much narrower scope in content so they could also focus on engine development, rF2 has to balance both at the same time.

The game is slowly improving, but they really need much high quality art direction and content for their own stuff. I was playing the original AC the other day, and it's amazing to see what they managed to do just through great textures and subtle details.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%