Richard Hessels

1000RPM
Premium
Jul 23, 2008
Cheaper? Let's see... Example: 488 GTE, 5€/$. Let's assume:
20% VAT
30% for Steam
25% flat company tax on net earnings

This is 2.10€/$ per sale. You need to sell this a lot of times to cover the costs.
What is the price now for LM24, Sebring, The Ring & Azure? 18,50? I guess we all know what it takes to laser-scan a track and make something from this point cloud - and we still think it needs to be even cheaper?
The laserscan is only part of the story, licenses to the greatest tracks and cars on earth cost shitloads of money. So you choose for a real hardcore simulator and the price is a bit higher per customer.
Or you make a game for a broader audience or a big publisher steps invests a ton of money.
Than starts adjusting the goals and in the end ruins the sim.

Than rather pay a few euros extra for content that gets updated far beyond what most gaming studios would do.

While my son thinks it's perfectly fine to pay 20,- euro on a rare fornite skin with a silly dance, that gets stored in his fault with the other 50 skins he never uses.

Last edited:

tr1v1um

100RPM
May 19, 2013
It would cheap for you in Euro but I am not earning in Euro. The price I see is essentially 50 per track and it is absurd for the quality at that price when I can literally buy another game. If Kunos, SMS, Reiza and so on are happy to sell at lower price and still make money, why is S397 so expensive?

Not to mention, the quality is crap. The cars and tracks have so many issues like the 488GTE was using the GT3's LED lights and position or Vantage GTE interior was still written GT3. Or the Reiza cars all glowing in fluorescence white after the shader changes. It is esports and esports, the offline AI races are getting more and more bugged in each build. The new UI is literally a joke as it took them so long to get it out. I think they really need to think about some maintenance patches to fix up some of the long standing issues than keep flogging that Le Mans event.

I generally pay for R3E content happily even at similar price because I know it generally will work. rF2 content is overpriced as hell for the low quality.
So you complain about Reiza cars looking wierd after the shaderupdate and praise them for cheap DLC prizes? You are hopefully aware that it is Reizas business to maintain the rF2 DLCs and not S397. I am not sure if that will happen anytime soon though, when they are working full steam on AMS2.

Reactions: atomed
May 27, 2020
It would cheap for you in Euro but I am not earning in Euro. The price I see is essentially 50 per track and it is absurd for the quality at that price when I can literally buy another game. If Kunos, SMS, Reiza and so on are happy to sell at lower price and still make money, why is S397 so expensive?

Not to mention, the quality is crap. The cars and tracks have so many issues like the 488GTE was using the GT3's LED lights and position or Vantage GTE interior was still written GT3. Or the Reiza cars all glowing in fluorescence white after the shader changes. It is esports and esports, the offline AI races are getting more and more bugged in each build. The new UI is literally a joke as it took them so long to get it out. I think they really need to think about some maintenance patches to fix up some of the long standing issues than keep flogging that Le Mans ****.

I generally pay for R3E content happily even at similar price because I know it generally will work. rF2 content is overpriced as hell for the low quality.
So I understand that this is not a question of price but for what we expect to get for it. Example:
If I'm interested in Endurance content, that would mean GTEs, Prototypes. It would mean LM24h and Sebring. Those don't even exist for R3E so there is nothing to compare. I accept that others like ACC and it's great. I'm just not into GT3. So: Nothing to compare (for me).
I still don't think that rf2 content is overpriced in any way. Hell, I just got Sprints and will try to get a good DD. And a wheel... THIS is where the money goes. Software/content costs almost vanish in the full context.

franserq

1RPM
Jul 19, 2018
So I understand that this is not a question of price but for what we expect to get for it. Example:
If I'm interested in Endurance content, that would mean GTEs, Prototypes. It would mean LM24h and Sebring. Those don't even exist for R3E so there is nothing to compare. I accept that others like ACC and it's great. I'm just not into GT3. So: Nothing to compare (for me).
I still don't think that rf2 content is overpriced in any way. Hell, I just got Sprints and will try to get a good DD. And a wheel... THIS is where the money goes. Software/content costs almost vanish in the full context.
I can not agree more with you, the resistance content of rfactor 2 is magnificent, the quality of the cars in terms of handling, sound, ffb is incredible, so is le mans track and sebring, and the quality comes at a price .
PS: If the quality is good I am willing to pay its price

Momperface

75RPM
Jan 24, 2019
i wish they'd just make a new game, all they are doing is continuously polishing this turd

start a fresh and take the physics into a new package that's actually worth playing with decent multiplayer

zi99y

50RPM
Feb 11, 2014
A creaking legacy monolith with no unit tests. Ouch, that sounds masochistic to me. As much as I have loved rF2 I think for the devs own sanity they should seriously consider moving on to a more modern and healthy platform. Good luck!

fireballr18

100RPM
Mar 3, 2018
The laserscan is only part of the story, licenses to the greatest tracks and cars on earth cost shitloads of money. So you choose for a real hardcore simulator and the price is a bit higher per customer.
Or you make a game for a broader audience or a big publisher steps invests a ton of money.
Than starts adjusting the goals and in the end ruins the sim.

Than rather pay a few euros extra for content that gets updated far beyond what most gaming studios would do.

While my son thinks it's perfectly fine to pay 20,- euro on a rare fornite skin with a silly dance, that gets stored in his fault with the other 50 skins he never uses.
Thank god it's possible to pay a higher price...:)

John-Eric Saxén

1000RPM
Premium
Jan 31, 2010
A creaking legacy monolith with no unit tests. Ouch, that sounds masochistic to me. As much as I have loved rF2 I think for the devs own sanity they should seriously consider moving on to a more modern and healthy platform. Good luck!
Unit tests are of no use to find out bugs like in the 24 hours event which are mainly concurrency/load related. Also nothing odd with having a monolithic codebase, that's exactly how most small and even several bigger companies like Facebook and Google operate. Maintaining several codebases often adds lots of overhead to development.

Reactions: atomed

zi99y

50RPM
Feb 11, 2014
Unit tests are of no use to find out bugs like in the 24 hours event which are mainly concurrency/load related. Also nothing odd with having a monolithic codebase, that's exactly how most small and even several bigger companies like Facebook and Google operate. Maintaining several codebases often adds lots of overhead to development.
True but I was more generally referring to difficulties in maintaining an enormous monolith since "the rFactor 2 codebase consists of millions of lines of code". Tests aren't just for ensuring code quality but to provide living documentation of the code. The way it's described really illustrates why the pace of development is so slow.

Dave Thayer

250RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
i wish they'd just make a new game, all they are doing is continuously polishing this turd

start a fresh and take the physics into a new package that's actually worth playing with decent multiplayer
Whats wrong with that by updating Rfactor 2, People are always saying why dont they just improve Project cars 2 like they are doing now with Rfactor 2.

One problem I see with this idea with going to a new. better, and different Rfactor game is - if it is like all the other newer games coming out, no more major 3rd party modding. You will be locked into whatever limited tracks and cars they decide to give us. Not complaining this is a fact with new games, I enjoy what the people have done with all the older games to keep the life going in them such as AMS1, Assetto Corsa, and the 2 Rfactor games. You will never see favorite local tracks done by the developers, you will just the major known tracks. Times have changed in modding in games.

I also enjoy the new games, the track and car content, and adapt to what they give us.

No matter what developers do even to move to a new package, there will always be complainers and will never be satisfied.

BorisK

75RPM
Dec 13, 2010
:confused: Pinto and Ferrari have a baby!?!! :D
Lotus Elite II 1974 by Giugiaro . I saw a picture in a magazine when I was 10 years old and fell in love with this car forever. I'd like to make a mod (and his own brother Eclat end youngest Excel). I hope the mod development tools become more friendly.

1593770975461.png
1593770927311.png

1593771349959.png

Last edited:

Bjarne Hansen

500RPM
Jan 7, 2015
I do like Rf2! Not using it much anymore, but still find it a good sim.
Just do not understand what businesses they are in.
Looks like GT3 and Endurance online!
Endurance online!
How many really want to do that?
I do like endurance racing but against Ai when I feel like it and with the time acceleration I like to use.

Think Studio 397 completely missed what was the Rf2 core market. The historic cars.
Had always hoped a modern take on GT legends or a complete F1 196x season cars and tracks to high standard.
But no can't even be bothered fixing the historic content or put it out in public domain to have users fix it.
And now they mess up Reiza content by changing the underlying shaders.
Would be surprised if Reiza would compete with itself and fix Studio -397 mess!

Studio-397 should have bought into the Madness engine and Reiza should have bought the rf2 engine.
We would all have been happier users and both studios would have had the better engine for them.

patchedupdemon

@Simberia
Nov 27, 2017
I do like Rf2! Not using it much anymore, but still find it a good sim.
Just do not understand what businesses they are in.
Looks like GT3 and Endurance online!
Endurance online!
How many really want to do that?
I do like endurance racing but against Ai when I feel like it and with the time acceleration I like to use.

Think Studio 397 completely missed what was the Rf2 core market. The historic cars.
Had always hoped a modern take on GT legends or a complete F1 196x season cars and tracks to high standard.
But no can't even be bothered fixing the historic content or put it out in public domain to have users fix it.
And now they mess up Reiza content by changing the underlying shaders.
Would be surprised if Reiza would compete with itself and fix Studio -397 mess!

Studio-397 should have bought into the Madness engine and Reiza should have bought the rf2 engine.
We would all have been happier users and both studios would have had the better engine for them.
You do know, reiza have said themselves, they are content creators, and not developers, that's why they have always took an existing game, and added content to it, they have never once made their own game from scratch.
It's upto reiza to update their content in rf2, when rf2 advances, they get the money for the content, so why should S397 fix their content

Reactions: ianthem