rFactor 2 | Spa-Francorchamps Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released their laserscanned Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps DLC for rFactor 2.

The new track is available now, and retails at around 8.99 Euros from the rFactor 2 Steam Store.

From the release post:

Studio 397 are absolutely delighted to bring to rFactor 2 one of the most revered and loved race circuits in Europe – that’s right, the mighty Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is now available to purchase for the sim!

Spa-Francorchamps | Steam Store: Click HERE.

The Belgian legend, one of the best tracks in Europe, home to the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix and the Total Spa 24 Hours of Spa… at long last a highly accurate and incredibly detailed version of the 7.004km Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is available to purchase in rFactor 2.

The current configuration of Spa-Francorchamps first made its public debut during the 2007 racing season, having featured in previous years with several takes on the traditional lap ending Bus Stop chicane. Finally settling on a suitable configuration for a last corner that is very much at odds with the quick and challenging nature of the circuit, the venue has remained a firm favourite in the minds of both drivers and fans alike.

Spa 1.jpg

Consisting of some of the best sections of corners anywhere in the world, including the exceptional Eau Rouge / Radillon complex and the fearsome Pouhon (now called Double Gauche) – almost every one of the 19 turns on this historic venue are noteworthy in their own right – so let’s take a look at some key highlights as we see what we have in store for our rFactor 2 drivers:

La Source

This is one of the tightest corners on the track, and despite its relatively simple nature perhaps one of the most critical to get right for a competitive lap time – miss step on corner exit and you’ll be giving away time all the way down to perhaps the showcase corner of Spa-Francorchamps…

Eau Rouge / Radillon

Instantly recognizable throughout the world, Eau Rouge and Radillon offer up some of the most iconic tarmac in motorsport. Fast, challenging and dangerous – depending on the car and your racing line, a driver may just have to breathe off the throttle to safely navigate their way through the steeply uphill section of track, before rounding the blind crest through Radillon and powering down the Kemmel Straight and into the more technically challenging portion of the lap.

Spa 2.jpg

Les Combes

Here drivers have a great opportunity to line up their rivals and make a play for the overtake under braking, either down the inside into the first right-hander, or the long way round the outside and block pass for the switch back to the left-hand part of this section. A keen feeling on the brake pedal, and not too enthusiastic getting back on the gas are key ingredients to making your way through this part of the circuit in good time.

Spa 3.jpg

Double Gauche (Pouhon)

From top gear down to fourth, trail brake into the apex at corner entry then balance the car on the throttle for a smooth transition through the turn and early onto the power trusting the downforce and tyres to stick the car firmly into the racing surface – here you need confidence, commitment and a solid vehicle underneath you to fully unearth the speed needed to propel you through the corner and into the very fast final sector.

Les Fagnes

Another overtaking opportunity, on both the outside and inside line, Fagnes is one of those corners so very common to the Spa-Francorchamps circuit – fast, delicate and requiring the driver to dance on the pedals in order to find just that right balance between speed and keeping the car stable. A fantastic place to watch a race car in action.

Spa 4.jpg

Blanchimont

Pretty much flat out throughout the final sector (85% of the lap is spent at full throttle in a Grand Prix car) the drivers have to deal with the fearsome Blanchimont corner – probably full throttle, depending on setup, track condition and racing line, but very easy to make a mistake and lose lap time, or worse still, have a potentially race ending accident if you get too greedy with the curbs on corner exit.

Bus Stop

The final part of the lap is the reprofiled Bus Stop chicane. Despite its nature as a somewhat awkward corner in comparison to the rest of the lap, the Bus Stop has gained a bit of a fanbase in its own right, and offers up another really solid opportunity to overtake a slower rival. Much as with the rest of the lap at Spa-Francorchamps, get this wrong and the price of your mistake will be significant, so drivers will have to tread that fine line between caution and commitment.

Spa 5.jpg

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great place to hang out with your fellow fans of the title, discuss the latest news and get advice on how to make the most from your simulation. Join in and start a new thread today!

Header.jpg

Last edited:
Then you run into silly issues like the seat position and especially the mirrors being universally set... for example if you have properly set up mirrors for a GTE then sit into the Oreca 07, you cannot see anything in the mirrors, vice versa.

Do VR not save position for each car? With non-vr it's saved for each car (might be an option), or more exact for each skin variation, there per car would better but not any big issue.

I must take back what I said about ACC in my reply earlier in this thread. My excuse is, I've only had my RTX 3080 since Tuesday, it replaced a GTX 1080. On Wednesday or Thursday, can't remember which, I tried ACC out with the new card.
I was extremely disappointed because nothing much had changed, it didn't run any better than the last time with the 1080.
Imagine my surprise this evening when I tried it again, and suddenly had a solid 80fps in VR. I have no idea what I did wrong the first time, the drivers are the same ones, and I've not changed anything else.
It looks lovely now, but I still don't like it, for the same reason I never liked AC: compared to rF2, ACC feels like you're driving a floating car on ice, no grip, even after two or three laps. I must say though, that I only tried it with the settings out of the box, I didn't spend any time doing a setup.
But it did at least show that the upgrade to the 3080 was well worth the money, compared to the 1080 it's a quantum leap.
But for me rF2 is still the best sim forthe FF and tyre model, and just the general feel and immersion :thumbsup:
You are floating around the most!

Do VR not save position for each car? With non-vr it's saved for each car (might be an option), or more exact for each skin variation, there per car would better but not any big issue.
Non-VR and doesn't save for me. If it's on a skin and not car basis then it's quite a bad system, but I have a feeling I was running the same skins when switching back and forth. The biggest problem is with the Oreca, which at the 0/0 mirror position has its mirrors positioned way to the left and downwards IIRC, and moving one axis on the mirror moves it in both axes in a weird way. Such stupid issues should not be happening even with "freeware" official content... On top of that when you have the display middle mirror set up correctly, the side mirrors are unusable. Funny thing is IIRC it isn't even said anywhere how to adjust mirrors, if a new user had this problem it would be quite frustrating (for anyone who didn't know it's SHIFT+Seat adjustment button).

This is an example why rF2 is a frustrating experience. The core driving feel is exceptional, no doubts about it, but that is all. Physics can be questionable, graphics are hit and miss, and there is no still polish to the package. Whenever I install new content I don't know what to expect. Modding is dead, best mods are AC conversions, public multi is... I don't even know but I guess it's also mostly inexistent, AI became bad despite it being the best years ago. Trust me I wish them the best, I would be happy to enjoy my investment more, but this development is very slow (4 years for UI). I know S397 has its heart and intentions in the right place, but it doesn't mean it gets a pass and cannot be criticized. That comes from someone who had it since it was released into beta under ISI (just checked, I bought it July 2012).

Last edited:
Non-VR and doesn't save for me. If it's on a skin and not car basis then it's quite a bad system, but I have a feeling I was running the same skins when switching back and forth. The biggest problem is with the Oreca, which at the 0/0 mirror position has its mirrors positioned way to the left and downwards IIRC, and moving one axis on the mirror moves it in both axes in a weird way. Such stupid issues should not be happening even with "freeware" official content... On top of that when you have the display middle mirror set up correctly, the side mirrors are unusable. Funny thing is IIRC it isn't even said anywhere how to adjust mirrors, if a new user had this problem it would be quite frustrating (for anyone who didn't know it's SHIFT+Seat adjustment button).

Actually use CTRL + Seat adjustment to set left mirror and ALT + Seat adjustment to set right mirror. And iirc its per skin adjustment (maybe car) but def not all vehicles.

Just to split up the normal discussions here! Want to race on the track, of course we've got that covered :)

xLEi7P0.png

Last edited:
Modding is dead, best mods are AC conversions
Modding is dead, really? Current F3, F1 of many era, 2003 ETCC, GT3 if you don't want to pay S397, vintage Japanese touring cars, Alpine A110 Cup & GT4 cars, and ChampCar 2007-8 are all recent quality releases.

I'll agree that the best mod tracks are AC conversions (with permission), but a number of recent AC tracks are rF2 conversions. The many oval tracks are pretty much an rF2 exclusive along with a fistful of Formula E tracks, but I guess you're not counting them.

Modding is dead, really? Current F3, F1 of many era, 2003 ETCC, GT3 if you don't want to pay S397, vintage Japanese touring cars, Alpine A110 Cup & GT4 cars, and ChampCar 2007-8 are all recent quality releases.

I'll agree that the best mod tracks are AC conversions (with permission), but a number of recent AC tracks are rF2 conversions. The many oval tracks are pretty much an rF2 exclusive along with a fistful of Formula E tracks, but I guess you're not counting them.
I did go through what the Workshop offers as well as some other sites. "Quality" is subjective, and I didn't find a lot for myself (considering I do not find a big portion of the official content to be high quality either). That is also true for AC modding where there's a lot of really bad stuff (with 5 stars nonetheless on RD), but there you have a much bigger pool to choose from with lots of other sources. Still, comparing to the first rF and AC, I consider the modding community of rF2 to be quite tiny. Just compare it to rF1, nobody cared about official content, only mods, whereas when S397 releases DLC, it's big news for the sim. If rF2 had a more active modding community (respectively if rF2 was more modder friendly), this would not be the case...

PS.: I do not want to sound elitist or anything, I am very picky when it comes to content. In all sims/games, mod or official content.

Anyone else getting AI spinning at Pouhon and Stavelot?
Using the GT3 cars, happens when they come off the kerbs. It seems worse on the Endurance layout, but some races it's every lap at those two corners. Other races it's fine.

New content is always interesting and of course great. Well, that's what prevents the developers from working on the normal organization of the races, the graphics component and other points that are important to solve in this case, remains unclear. It is sad to contemplate how such a thing disappears and cannot compete. Content is not the answer

Using the GT3 cars, happens when they come off the kerbs. It seems worse on the Endurance layout, but some races it's every lap at those two corners. Other races it's fine.
Done several races in the GT3’s and did not experience this once. Endurance layout also only has another pits, so why would that effect AI car behavior in these 2 corners?

Actually use CTRL + Seat adjustment to set left mirror and ALT + Seat adjustment to set right mirror. And iirc its per skin adjustment (maybe car) but def not all vehicles.

Non-VR and doesn't save for me.

Mirrors are not always adjustable in all cars, need to be enable by the creator.
However I use this setting in json, the seat/mirror and FFB is saved for each veichle.

"User Vehicle Data":true, "User Vehicle Data#":"0=save with user mod data (in CCH files), 1=save separately (in all_vehicles.ini)"

from the ini:
ID=2598 File="D:\Games\.....\1.83\F488GTE_66B06A44E2.VEH" Skin="" MetersDriven=1244330 Seat=(0.020,-0.020) SeatPitch=99.00 RearviewSize=(64.000,13.786) Mirror=(0.000,-0.000) MirrorPhysical=(0.000,0.000,0.000) MirrorLeft=(0.120,0.000,1.000) MirrorCenter=(0.000,0.000,1.000) MirrorRight=(-0.190,0.000,1.000) FFBSteeringTorqueMult=0.700 UpgradeList: AERO PACKAGE=0,3,0

My experience from rf2 differs: active development, good official content, many mods and very active MP, and most of the time AI works fine, have even rise the AI mistake level. I do mostly MP so might be that for pure SP AI might have other issues, but you can create that good/bad list for any other sim as well.

Last edited:
Done several races in the GT3’s and did not experience this once. Endurance layout also only has another pits, so why would that effect AI car behavior in these 2 corners?

Presumably they have their own AIW, maybe something is different? It's been a while since I've looked into AIW's, I don't know if it's possible to unpack them from the S397 content to check.
It's probably just coincidence. It's happened all three times I've tried on the endurance layout, but only one out of four on the standard.

Last edited:
Mirrors are not always adjustable in all cars, need to be enable by the creator.
However I use this setting in json, the seat/mirror and FFB is saved for each veichle.

"User Vehicle Data":true, "User Vehicle Data#":"0=save with user mod data (in CCH files), 1=save separately (in all_vehicles.ini)"

from the ini:
ID=2598 File="D:\Games\.....\1.83\F488GTE_66B06A44E2.VEH" Skin="" MetersDriven=1244330 Seat=(0.020,-0.020) SeatPitch=99.00 RearviewSize=(64.000,13.786) Mirror=(0.000,-0.000) MirrorPhysical=(0.000,0.000,0.000) MirrorLeft=(0.120,0.000,1.000) MirrorCenter=(0.000,0.000,1.000) MirrorRight=(-0.190,0.000,1.000) FFBSteeringTorqueMult=0.700 UpgradeList: AERO PACKAGE=0,3,0

My experience from rf2 differs: active development, good official content, many mods and very active MP, and most of the time AI works fine, have even rise the AI mistake level. I do mostly MP so might be that for pure SP AI might have other issues, but you can create that good/bad list for any other sim as well.
Your reply characterizes how very inaccessible rF2 is to the average user and especially how much potential is hidden away in configuration files. Anyway I am glad that your experience is good, keep enjoying the sim :)

PS: If you could provide some resources where/what can one adjust in what files, I would appreciate it :)

You find the setting in "player.json" in folder "..\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player"
The "all_vehicles.ini" is in the same folder, but no need to edit that file manually.

Agree the integration of parameters could be better (at least rF2 have an editable parameter, not always the case), maybe some "expert" mode in the new UI suggested by someone else.

Presumably they have their own AIW, maybe something is different? It's been a while since I've looked into AIW's, I don't know if it's possible to unpack them from the S397 content to check.
It's probably just coincidence. It's happened all three times I've tried on the endurance layout, but only one out of four on the standard.
I ran two 15 lap races today on each layout using 30 AI (GT3) at 100% with 30% aggression and no AI accidents at either Pouhon or Stavelot. Did 20 minute Qualifies at medium rubber proceeding into race with naturally progressing. Used default race times with standing starts. AI mistakes "OFF" in the Player JSON

Note: I checked the AIW in both layouts and determined they both have identical main fast lines plus both layouts also have a second fast line called FAST_ALT which i would be interested to know which mods use it.

Hints:
1) Check if you have AI mistakes turned On and if so you should try lowering it or if necessary turn it off.
2) I discovered that occasionally you need to delete your Player JSON file when the AI begins to exhibit odd behaviors. Note: No worries as the game will make a new Player JSON. Make a backup incase you decide to go back.

Last edited:
Ai loses it under dirty air in GTE cars, because these cars tend to oversteer unrecoverably with dirty air in rF2 at Spa (which is like a switch, that turns your rear aero off at Eau Rouge, for example and no, this isn't normal :D), if not driven carefully. Had 3 Races with "special happenings" of this kind now. AI always makes the big goodbye after being close behind me, or behind other AI cars on this track.^^

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing