rFactor 2 | Spa-Francorchamps Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released their laserscanned Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps DLC for rFactor 2.

The new track is available now, and retails at around 8.99 Euros from the rFactor 2 Steam Store.

From the release post:

Studio 397 are absolutely delighted to bring to rFactor 2 one of the most revered and loved race circuits in Europe – that’s right, the mighty Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is now available to purchase for the sim!

Spa-Francorchamps | Steam Store: Click HERE.

The Belgian legend, one of the best tracks in Europe, home to the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix and the Total Spa 24 Hours of Spa… at long last a highly accurate and incredibly detailed version of the 7.004km Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is available to purchase in rFactor 2.

The current configuration of Spa-Francorchamps first made its public debut during the 2007 racing season, having featured in previous years with several takes on the traditional lap ending Bus Stop chicane. Finally settling on a suitable configuration for a last corner that is very much at odds with the quick and challenging nature of the circuit, the venue has remained a firm favourite in the minds of both drivers and fans alike.

Spa 1.jpg

Consisting of some of the best sections of corners anywhere in the world, including the exceptional Eau Rouge / Radillon complex and the fearsome Pouhon (now called Double Gauche) – almost every one of the 19 turns on this historic venue are noteworthy in their own right – so let’s take a look at some key highlights as we see what we have in store for our rFactor 2 drivers:

La Source

This is one of the tightest corners on the track, and despite its relatively simple nature perhaps one of the most critical to get right for a competitive lap time – miss step on corner exit and you’ll be giving away time all the way down to perhaps the showcase corner of Spa-Francorchamps…

Eau Rouge / Radillon

Instantly recognizable throughout the world, Eau Rouge and Radillon offer up some of the most iconic tarmac in motorsport. Fast, challenging and dangerous – depending on the car and your racing line, a driver may just have to breathe off the throttle to safely navigate their way through the steeply uphill section of track, before rounding the blind crest through Radillon and powering down the Kemmel Straight and into the more technically challenging portion of the lap.

Spa 2.jpg

Les Combes

Here drivers have a great opportunity to line up their rivals and make a play for the overtake under braking, either down the inside into the first right-hander, or the long way round the outside and block pass for the switch back to the left-hand part of this section. A keen feeling on the brake pedal, and not too enthusiastic getting back on the gas are key ingredients to making your way through this part of the circuit in good time.

Spa 3.jpg

Double Gauche (Pouhon)

From top gear down to fourth, trail brake into the apex at corner entry then balance the car on the throttle for a smooth transition through the turn and early onto the power trusting the downforce and tyres to stick the car firmly into the racing surface – here you need confidence, commitment and a solid vehicle underneath you to fully unearth the speed needed to propel you through the corner and into the very fast final sector.

Les Fagnes

Another overtaking opportunity, on both the outside and inside line, Fagnes is one of those corners so very common to the Spa-Francorchamps circuit – fast, delicate and requiring the driver to dance on the pedals in order to find just that right balance between speed and keeping the car stable. A fantastic place to watch a race car in action.

Spa 4.jpg

Blanchimont

Pretty much flat out throughout the final sector (85% of the lap is spent at full throttle in a Grand Prix car) the drivers have to deal with the fearsome Blanchimont corner – probably full throttle, depending on setup, track condition and racing line, but very easy to make a mistake and lose lap time, or worse still, have a potentially race ending accident if you get too greedy with the curbs on corner exit.

Bus Stop

The final part of the lap is the reprofiled Bus Stop chicane. Despite its nature as a somewhat awkward corner in comparison to the rest of the lap, the Bus Stop has gained a bit of a fanbase in its own right, and offers up another really solid opportunity to overtake a slower rival. Much as with the rest of the lap at Spa-Francorchamps, get this wrong and the price of your mistake will be significant, so drivers will have to tread that fine line between caution and commitment.

Spa 5.jpg

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great place to hang out with your fellow fans of the title, discuss the latest news and get advice on how to make the most from your simulation. Join in and start a new thread today!

Header.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Spa looks awesome in VR in my new HP Reverb G2 that arrived Yesterday. The trees also in distance look really awesome feels much more realistic than ACC. Also frame times are very good around 10-11ms in 4k+ res.
You mus be kidding right? I dont use VR but comparing RF2 1990s look to ACC makes me ask if you have by any chance ingested some psychedelics....

Thanks for helping Here you go:
System is i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, 32Gb RAM, RTX3080 GPU if that's of any interest. All the other tracks are fine. Weird, huh?
View attachment 421133View attachment 421134View attachment 421135View attachment 421136View attachment 421137View attachment 421138
Call off the dogs: I found the solution on Studio397s forum. I rolled back to the old UI this week, because my mouse stopped working after the last UI update, the solution to the missing texture problem was to change to the new UI again...is this part of a cunning plan to get us to change to the new UI? :D Only joking....

Thanks @Badwheels I was using AI in the context of the topic of Sim Racing, or if you prefer computer racing game.
I will now refer to them as 'computer generated cars that are not controlled influenced in their ability/skill set by human interaction and only can be modified in tendencies by changes made to a game computer file'

edits made for content related to an attempt at humor.
You're a hoot :D:D

Call off the dogs: I found the solution on Studio397s forum. I rolled back to the old UI this week, because my mouse stopped working after the last UI update, the solution to the missing texture problem was to change to the new UI again...is this part of a cunning plan to get us to change to the new UI? :D Only joking....
Wait wait.
Was that a joke or is new UI really needed for spa textures?
I am having trouble believing it.
Can anybody else confirm that?

GT, it is always handy to keep your motherboard/mouse/usb type drivers ready to deploy. Windows 10 updates have messed with my mouse several times over the years. Try re-installing your drivers and see if that cures the problem.

I always use the "old" UI if i'm not being blackmailed to use it.
I haven't asked for a new one though. :D
Don‘t buy Spa then. I changed to the new UI and the textures were there. Changed back to the old UI, no textures. Cunning eh?
Wait wait.
Was that a joke or is new UI really needed for spa textures?
I am having trouble believing it.
Can anybody else confirm that?
I've tried going from old to new and back again three times, I rolled back to the UI this week because my mouse pointer stopped working in the new UI., in VR. So now I have the choice of the new UI and Spa, but no VR ( the VR works, but I can't select anything because my mouse pointer doesn't work in VR), or the old UI where my mouse pointer works, but missing textures in Spa.
At the moment I'm trying a workaround with new mouse drivers, in the hopes that I can use VR in the new UI, and also be able to use my mouse to select things, and exit when I'm finished. At the moment I have to ALT+TAB out of the game because the buttons don't react to my mouse. Always something new with rF2.....

Don‘t buy Spa then. I changed to the new UI and the textures were there. Changed back to the old UI, no textures. Cunning eh?

I've tried going from old to new and back again three times, I rolled back to the UI this week because my mouse pointer stopped working in the new UI., in VR. So now I have the choice of the new UI and Spa, but no VR ( the VR works, but I can't select anything because my mouse pointer doesn't work in VR), or the old UI where my mouse pointer works, but missing textures in Spa.
At the moment I'm trying a workaround with new mouse drivers, in the hopes that I can use VR in the new UI, and also be able to use my mouse to select things, and exit when I'm finished. At the moment I have to ALT+TAB out of the game because the buttons don't react to my mouse. Always something new with rF2.....
Did you try all the suugestions which people have made in this thread?
Somebody said something about checking the stretch UI button or something, but in the screenies you posted it didn't look like the button/box was checked?

Have you checked the new function key to hide the cursor? Maybe that is your problem, iirc it's in controls/other.

Also the new UI gets the interface rendered in a different thread, it may be very possible that it unloads the workload for the ingame graphics rendering thus making it in a more effective way.

You do know that AI learning is a feature of rF2, don't you?

Tried telling peeps 100 times throughout the years

You can tell people are here just to bleat because they will never acknowledge what you said or ever mention trying it

I mean if other studios had Ai learning they would say it's the most awesome thing since slice bread :rolleyes:

Personally I can't remember the last time a field of my rF2 never swapped places because they do real things like understeer and oversteer , other random stuff that mixes order
You should all spend a weekend playing with aggression strength and limiter

More limiter without running a qualifying session so they are not gridded by outright pace will have them passing ;)

P.S.

Another good thing is how rF2 Ai drop pace later in race but problem there is it happens at a set period no matter how long or short race is so in 5 lap race the Ai will start to drop off near end which obviously they should not

Last edited:
There is no conspiracy here. Spa works just fine in both the old and new UI. Just opt out of public beta. Spa does not render correctly in older builds. We built some new shaders that are used (on the trees for example).
I'm experiencing this in the latest build. If I could use the mouse pointer in VR, I would gladly stay with the new UI. Until this week when the latest update broke my mouse I've been using it since it became available . In 2-D mode everything is wonderful in the new UI, but I drive in VR. And the mention of the conspiracy theory was just a joke, there was a big grin smiley in the post. I have an English sense of humour, and the opportunity to make a joke about it was too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years