rFactor 2 | Rome E-Prix DLC Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 last night released a new circuit for rFactor 2, adding the 2021 Rome E-Prix venue to the ever expanding collection of Formula E tracks within the title.
  • New DLC available for £6.84.
  • Joins Berlin, Hong Kong, New York, Diriyah, Electric Docks and Monaco Formula E tracks.
  • Includes Attack Mode and 2021 layout.

rome_2020_screen_02.jpg

The Rome E-Prix is a little different to the standard street circuit layout used within Formula E, in that the course is the longest lap in the history of the series at a little over 2.860 km in length, and of the 21 corners that make up a tour of the Circuito Cittadino dell’EUR, many of the turns are approached from fairly dramatic undulations within the confines of the city venue, meaning a driver will often find themselves having to carefully apply brake and throttle pedal inputs in order to keep the car away from the ever present threat of the unforgiving walls that line the circuit.

rome_2020_screen_07.jpg
rome_2020_screen_06.jpg

rFactor 2 | Rome E-Prix Steam Store: Click Here.

The new DLC is the latest Formula E track release for the simulation following the recent deployment of the Diriyah E-Prix and various updates to already released Formula E venues earlier this month. Although certainly not a type of racing that appeals to every sim racer, it is nevertheless nice to see a continued collaboration between the studio and Formula E with these content releases, adding something a little different to the title alongside the more traditional fare of GT and endurance racing content.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

What to know how to get the most from the simulation? No worries, post a thread and ask our awesome community in the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

rome_2020_screen_01.jpg

Last edited:
Kudos to S397, street tracks are hugely detailed projects at the best of times so to make this many is a lot of hard work.

Yes the whole flag thing should have been picked up but in fairness to them (and having done lots of rendering myself) it is easy to get the image map the wrong way round, it may have looked fine in preview and was most likely a simply mistake. I would imagine this entire track has only been done by two or three people in a short amount of time so a shame yes, but easily fixed.

I always find the problems people have interesting, I've used RF2 on a seven year old PC and I've just treated myself to a newer PC. I've almost never had a single problem with RF2. Even when they went over to the new UI I never had a problem. Maybe it just prefers an Intel/Nvidia combination.

I guess the only thing I wish RF2 did was maybe a better house cleaning of itself, you can build up lots of surplus files when you install mods, race with them, etc. and these can cause problems for sure.

It doesn't matter how much testing you do, you can never factor in the 1000's of mods that are floating around. If just one part of that is not right it will cause problems with the main game.

I've had that on Assetto Corsa dozen's of times (crash to desktop mainly) and usually I just have to bite the bullet and remove the offending mod. Doesn't happen too often though thankfully :)

I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember spending hours having to configure Autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get a simple game running so small issues like the above are nothing! lol :)

I didn’t think that non lasers scanned tracks from studios are really accepted in sims these days. There’s a good amount of very talented modders that make great non laser scanned tracks, some from even lidar data.

At the risk of being pedantic...

"Laser scanned" & lidar are the same thing. Laser scanned is a marketing term for lay people. Lidar is the actual technology that "laser scans" objects. But as I've explained in posts before, there are multiple types of lidar which all have their particular issues & inherent data quality- aerial, helicopter, bathymetric, drone, mobile atop a vehicle, stationary ground units usually on a tripod stand & I think there are even handheld units now used for pipeline & structural engineering applications.

Lidar, or LiDAR for us old schoolers in the tech, is just an acronym for LIght Detection And Ranging. It's just another form of remote sensing like radar, sonar, infrared, etc. Or my age old short description, "radar with lasers/light beams instead of radio waves."

A laser is just an amplified light beam/pulse that is directed for some purpose (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation). Thus when you shoot a laser pulse from a lidar sensor at objects or the ground to map them, you are "laser scanning."

Last edited:
I don't know if they prepare the track in Rome the same way in Paris, but this is what they do here: the grip in the streets is far less than what they need for FE, so they resurface them for the event, and then they remove the new surface after the event (which is btw quite nice for a supposedly environment-friendly series). That way laserscanning is utterly pointless, unless you do it right before the race.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%