rFactor 2 | RCCO eX Zero 2021 DLC Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released the imaginative RCCO eX Zero 2021 electric car DLC for rFactor 2 - an rFactor 2 exclusive machine developed in conjunction with DTM Champion Mike Rockenfeller.
  • New DLC available now for £4.55.
  • Developed alongside 2013 DTM Champion Mike Rockenfeller.
  • Created entirely within rFactor 2.

A DLC with a difference - rFactor 2 have today released a new car to the simulation that doesn't actually exist in real life... the RCCO eX ZERO 2021 has been released and it has been designed by the Studio 397 development team to a specification presented by former DTM Champion Mike Rockenfeller - bringing a brand new and exceptionally powerful electric racing car that should provide incredibly interesting driving coupled with ultra modern battery technology.

rF2 EX ZERO 1.jpg

From the release notes:

As we draw ever closer to the end of 2020, the world around us is changing in ways we would never have imagined just 10 years ago. Humanity is becoming increasingly aware of the need to preserve our planet for future generations, sustainable options for ways of living are being brought into the conscious minds of consumers at a rate never before seen, and road car manufacturers are increasingly looking to alternative propulsion methods as the future of travel moves yet further away from the traditional ICE power units of today.

With Formula E and the new Extreme E concepts having already proven to be successful showcases for electric racing within the confines of current technology, we’ve been working with a partner to bring a rather different type of car to life within rFactor 2… As our readers well know, we at Studio 397 place an incredibly high value on the accuracy of our simulation, and our ability to recreate any number of different vehicle types within the title. This has led us to build a variety of different cars for the sim over the years, from formula to tin tops, powered by traditional internal combustion engines and modern battery power.

rF2 EX ZERO 3.jpg

Ever keen to understand the intricacies of many varied types of racing machine, we took on a very different type of project recently; creating a car that confines to all the real world parameters in terms of physics and performance, but starting from a clean sheet of paper with a specification presented to us by 2013 DTM Champion Mike Rockenfeller. Welcome to the world the spectacular RCCO eX ZERO 2021.

Powered by a 100kWH battery and kicking out no-less than 1000hp, the eX ZERO 2021 is a custom-built car – existing only within rFactor 2 – that completely aligns with real world physics and behaviours that would exist should the vehicle find itself out on the real circuits. Enjoying the benefit of 4WD with a 73% rear torque split, the car is capable of 20 minutes of hard racing on a full charge. Lightweight at only 1000 kg without the driver, this car certainly offers exceptional performance and a very lively driving experience!

rF2 EX ZERO 4.jpg

The eX ZERO 2021 has similar downforce levels to that of a modern LMP3 car, but considerably more torque through the slick tyres, meaning extraordinarily rapid acceleration that will leave the driver plenty of scope to modulate the throttle on corner exit – a critical skill in order to achieve good lap times.

To give you a taste of the kind of performance you can expect from new addition to the rFactor 2 vehicle roster, we enlisted the help of Porsche Carrera Cup Germany driver and rFactor 2 ambassador Rudy van Buren to put the new machine through its paces at the Belgian Spa-Francorchamps Circuit, a track well known to many sim racers, and a perfect venue for comparing the performance of this car to more traditional track based vehicles.

We’ve found the process of developing this car greatly intriguing, to have the scope to realize a vision such as this within rFactor 2 has been a refreshing journey for our development team – and the result is a car that will keep drivers on their tiptoes at every single part of a lap – it’s a wild ride!

We are very proud of the end result with the RCCO eX ZERO 2021 as it really offers something rather unique within the simulation – hopefully you enjoy getting out on the circuit with it too.

RCCO eX ZERO 2021 | Available now in rFactor 2: HERE

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rF2 EX ZERO footer.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem I see is that they are going the E-sport way and this can cut out from the game a lot of cool content from the past racing series.

E-sport as in sim racing esports or electrical cars? This is getting so confusing. If the future of racing is electrical/hybrid, what type of DLC content are they supposed to produce? They could do historic cars, but quite difficult to model cars from the 70's accurately in terms of graphical and physical model. Also I have my doubts how much sales they would generate.

Frankly the game doesn't need any more content apart from maybe a couple of more tracks to host a full season. Maybe some modern open wheel car (not necessarily F1). There is already enough content to play for months, it's the core and service that needs to be more attractive.

E-sport as in sim racing esports or electrical cars? This is getting so confusing. If the future of racing is electrical/hybrid, what type of DLC content are they supposed to produce? They could do historic cars, but quite difficult to model cars from the 70's accurately in terms of graphical and physical model. Also I have my doubts how much sales they would generate.

Frankly the game doesn't need any more content apart from maybe a couple of more tracks to host a full season. Maybe some modern open wheel car (not necessarily F1). There is already enough content to play for months, it's the core and service that needs to be more attractive.
First of all clean up the core content, and fix all the bugs that have been there since forever. Tidy up the workshop, and just throw a lot of the really old stuff out. Get someone who knows what they're doing to sort out the replacement UI, and a working online and competition system. And tidy up the AI on some tracks.
That would transform the game.

What? The old formulas and tracks in game are great. These have to stay and to be updated instead. Same for the NSX and the Corvette.
How long do you think they're going to need to get all that stuff updated, when it took them a whole year just to update the Oreca, and tell me, how is the new UI getting on?
But I do admire your optimism, well done that man. :)

Last edited:
Ok, electric cars are not really a good news when talking motorsports... but this one doesn't even exist !!
No F... given !... First time I won't buy an rF2 DLC.

(Spending all this time for that s..t, while 99% of us wants real cars, real tracks... because "simulation" for f... sake !)

What would transform other games would be if they all drove as well as rF2 ... imho

I have better ai in rF2 then other sims imo so you should use imo in all your posts they are not facts :geek:
As I've stated elsewhere here, I love rF2 for the things it does better than any other sim: the driving physics, the tyre model, and the FF. But they promised us an endurance sim four years ago, and haven't fulfilled that promise. There are still bugs in the game that detract from the overall experience, and their history of releasing unfinished DLCs with various bugs, which they then take forever to fix, is not stellar.
TL : DR: rF2 is good, but it could be very much better with a more focused development approach. The latest DLC is a move in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Last edited:
How long do you think they're going to need to get all that stuff
But I do admire your optimism
Well here's some optimism for you.... kinda.

I'm actually starting to wonder whether modding/modders might be our best hope of seeing old content updated. There is a recent graphical update to ISIs version of Montreal available on Steam. If S397 are allowing this, then maybe more tracks and possibly even some cars might follow?

I really don't see S397 doing it themselves, but if they made it possible for modders to use more easily accessible software (cheaper, from what I've read) then maybe more updates to old content could follow?

OK, this is more a wish than a genuine belief that it's ever gonna happen. But I don't see how this would cost S397 anything. I really don't believe that free mods of historic content can have a negative impact on sales of GT3s and their current crop of tracks.

Of course, the elephant in the room with all of this, is that S397 are owned by a parent company (Luminis). There might therefore be some instruction from above on what they may and may not do, regarding stuff like this.

All speculation and opinion, of course. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
Gentlemen of S397: I know that you will care very little about what I am going to say, but I must vent. After being a fan of rfactor2 and dedicating many hours to it, about a year ago I decided to uninstall it from my pc and, of course, I have not bought any of the dlcs released lately. I have waited patiently in the hope that at some point you will begin to fix all the bugs that come from many years ago. This is why I check the forums periodically. Sadly, with this DLC I think that is never going to happen. It's a shame, because rfactor2 could be the king of simulators and is actually turning into a game to be forgotten: with a glorious past, a pathetic present, and a black future.

Well here's some optimism for you.... kinda.

I'm actually starting to wonder whether modding/modders might be our best hope of seeing old content updated. There is a recent graphical update to ISIs version of Montreal available on Steam. If S397 are allowing this, then maybe more tracks and possibly even some cars might follow?

I really don't see S397 doing it themselves, but if they made it possible for modders to use more easily accessible software (cheaper, from what I've read) then maybe more updates to old content could follow?

OK, this is more a wish than a genuine belief that it's ever gonna happen. But I don't see how this would cost S397 anything. I really don't believe that free mods of historic content can have a negative impact on sales of GT3s and their current crop of tracks.

Of course, the elephant in the room with all of this, is that S397 are owned by a parent company (Luminis). There might therefore be some instruction from above on what they may and may not do, regarding stuff like this.

All speculation and opinion, of course. Just my 2c.

The modding system of rFactor2, especially for cars, is something that leads you to plan mass murder and the tire model so unpredictable that none of the good physics developers wants to be involved with it.

Gentlemen of S397: I know that you will care very little about what I am going to say, but I must vent. After being a fan of rfactor2 and dedicating many hours to it, about a year ago I decided to uninstall it from my pc and, of course, I have not bought any of the dlcs released lately. I have waited patiently in the hope that at some point you will begin to fix all the bugs that come from many years ago. This is why I check the forums periodically. Sadly, with this DLC I think that is never going to happen. It's a shame, because rfactor2 could be the king of simulators and is actually turning into a game to be forgotten: with a glorious past, a pathetic present, and a black future.
I think you‘ve expressed very well what an awful lot of people are thinking at the moment. Another thing that bothers me concerning this subject, is the lack of any kind of reaction from S397 to what's been said all over different forums since the Super vacuum cleaner was released. They must have read all the posts all over the net, they must know what people think, and how disappointed they are. And their reaction? Nothing, nada, zilch, niente..They have their own support forum where they could've reacted in some way, they are active on social media, but no word.
Compare that to Reizas communication and support. There you can talk one-on-one with the boss, I f you have a problem or constructive criticism, you get heard, and you get answers.
And Reiza has made more progress in the last few months with AMS2 than S397 has made since they took over rF2, over FOUR years ago. And they are only a small team at Reiza, we're not talking about Codemasters staff levels here.
Colour me very disappointed...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing