rFactor 2 - Q & A with the development team

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Hi,

Spoken to the boss himself yesterday night and in a few weeks time he will be able to answer questions from the RD community!

Please use this thread to write down your questions for him. We will wrap up the most original questions that have not been answered before in previous interviews and will send it out.

Take note of a few simple rules:
  • Don't use this thread for debates / discussions. Stay on topic: questions. Discussions are more than welcome here
  • Read the entire topic so you don't repeat the same questions over and over again :)
  • We all want to know when the game will be released, so avoid that question as it has been asked a million times before and we all know the answer already: "Released when its finished"
Shoot! What would you like know? Lets get the rFactor 2 ball rolling!
rfactor2.png

How many real-world tracks and fictional tracks will be included in the release? For online simulation players I hope each get at least 2 solid real playable tracks in each 6 (4hour) time-zones worldwide. Will there be a preferred driving style for RF2? ie open wheel, touring cars, retro etc? Will most FFB wheels be supported? Will they be have an accurate feeling or will we need privately developed patches? I hope FR2 will continue the tradition, it might not be the best presented or have the best graphics, but feels the most real behind the wheel. :cool:

- Will be ful manual clutch shifting be implemented (like grinding tranny mod for rf1)? Most important featue for me. :)
- I'm currently working on track for rf1, and It's gonna be finished when rf2 will be released, so will be rf1 track be compatible with rf2?

I think i'll combine some of the above to the one what a lot of people will want to know for sure..

Will the rF modded content be transferrable to rF2?

If yes, will you provide developement tools or will you let modding community to guess it by them selves (results in poorly working clutter of small editors...)? Some of the fun in modding is to "crack" the code by trial and error but it's frustrating, time consuming and results are never as good as with proper dev package.

My question for Tim:

From the perspective of a company like ISI, what are the most significant changes in the gaming market since the release of rFactor - and are those changes part of the reason behind the new online model announced with rF2?

stick to the topic guys.
ISI when rFactor 2 is released will you be supporting any leagues in particular?

Do you guy's have a action plan on releasing DLC for the first year? if so would you give us a hint on what to expect? Thanks.

A very important feature in my opinion:

Will there be many transmission behaviors ?

Normal street car stick shift, proper sequential shifting (No lift and clutch on upshift, use of clutch/heel and toe on downshifts, clutch on standstill), F1 style paddle shifting (Clutch on standstill, none while shifting) and maybe also a proper automatic transmission behavior ?

To that you can also have proper clutch and transmission damage...

Thank you for your hard work !

In the event of an accident it almost always results in the loss of fluids be it water, oil or both. This can have a significant affect on the outcome of other drivers also. I think the inclusion of this feature would add to the immersion and realism of the sim. Another feature that also seems to get missed is the wind. It goes without saying that by altering that one set of parameters for wind speed and direction every track is going to feel different every time you visit it.

Graham Watson;981172 said:
In the event of an accident it almost always results in the loss of fluids be it water, oil or both. This can have a significant affect on the outcome of other drivers also. I think the inclusion of this feature would add to the immersion and realism of the sim.

You mean the fluids making the surface slippery, so drivers that are unaware of it might spin out?

I guess I have several questions, but none in particular now.

I'm wondering how cars will be handled. Maybe its been answered but I would still like to know. In rFactor the cars were done in groups based on series. In rFactor 2 will it be all the cars in one group or will it be split like it was for rFactor?

Couple more questions:

Mechanical damage, what parts are affected, what behaviour is left out for gameplay reasons and how much is the difference comparing to rF1 damage system?

Collision boundaries, do the cars now physically occupy their volume in space? Or is it approximated system that avoids some of the latency related problems?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%