rFactor 2 | Portland International Raceway Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have deployed a new update to the classic Portland International Raceway circuit within rFactor 2.
  • New update available on Steam Workshop.
  • New materials updates applied.
  • Various fixes.
As Studio 397 continue to work their way through the array of older content within rFactor 2, the Portland International Raceway circuit is the next track to receive the update treatment from the studio, with a new build release for the circuit having been deployed to the Steam Workshop yesterday afternoon.

Version 1.03 brings with it a number of quality of life improvements and graphical upgrades, as can be seen in the change notes below...

Portland International Raceway V1.03 Notes:

• Updated Roads to work with latest material developments
  • Updated Vegetation to latest material developments
  • Reviewed Grass bumpiness
  • Fixed some objects tagged as Hat that shouldn't have been.
  • Roughed up inside the curbs at the fast chicane
  • Added a dedicated material which makes there more resistance on the grass to stop cutting (just on the polys next to the chicane)
  • Fixed Fence/Tent lodding issues at Final Corners

Original Source: Studio 397 Twitter

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rF2 Portland 1.jpg

Last edited:
I like racing the Portland sprint layout a little better, although both are done really well by S397. Not having the added chicane gives me a chance to put the hammer down, sit back and breathe for a few moments after coming out of those last tricky corners.

Last edited:
I basically only drive that one layout. Braking into T1 and getting it as fast as possible is thrilling experience. But I also mostly drive no downforce, or low downforce cars. All these chicanes in all tracks are for high downforce cars.

well, I slowly started uninstalling most of the content, but will give this a second look
I really think studio397 should try to make RF3, overhaul the engine some more, and start releasing content that's already up to date,

like for example loading times ( both tracks and showroom) are really slow compared to competitors

Last edited:
why are some cars - like Ferrari 488 GTE, purely white ???

well, some grass and it might looks quite alright :) but yeah, then you look at some older stuff and it's so bad :(

75F6BFA8652C35C4619477598B19E1F1498B7D9D

D0DCE5657A1FD654076159D3F9FF5997D23B95EA
There may be some generic skins IF there are numbers and such on the white car. But if it is all white, then you have a mis-match between the DSL cars and a mod. Look for mods in the packages screen or with mod manager. Either update them or delete them.

I really think studio397 should try to make RF3
Careful what you wish for Patrik. S397 are focused on modern endurance racing. Who's to say whether a future rF3 would be mod friendly?

On the other hand though... if they were to abandon rF2, there is some possibility that modding in rF2 might increase. But then again... who knows.

SS397 should make rF3, but the only difference should be really fast loading times, to accommodate uncertain 3 minute racers and guys who are obsessed to tweak options forever to find out imaginary ideal settings. And of course to drop out modding and legacy content. Simracing will be so exciting.

Careful what you wish for Patrik. S397 are focused on modern endurance racing. Who's to say whether a future rF3 would be mod friendly?

On the other hand though... if they were to abandon rF2, there is some possibility that modding in rF2 might increase. But then again... who knows.
well, as hard as it might be for me to say this, I don't think modding is what is helping it, the mods are mostly out-dated , so it might actually hurt it , more than it helps

i love that they are using steam workshop though

^ Everything above I think the opposite.

Steamcharts.com tells that rF2 had 618 of users at average past 30 days. Thats not so much, and I bet that from third to half of that (at least) are people involved with modding, doing modding, or using mods actively.

Then also if we would look at Assetto Corsa. It is as popular as it has ever been, and probably not even peaked yet, also I think it feeds good amount of attraction towards ACC too, because its numbers are also climbing up constantly and are very good for what it is. AC has been running on mods for past years, and it does seem to have been working out rather well. And I see people using everything in AC from official content and great mods to crap ripped content which is so bad that people who use that should be paid to do that.

As for steam worship system I think that the only good thing about it is automatic updates. And even that has negative side effect, it makes it very likely for people to miss updates. Most of all I dislike the navigation through steam workshops, racedepartment is way better at that.

Last edited:
I think it feeds good amount of attraction towards ACC too

Absolutely agreed. AC and ACC are two very different products. Hard to believe they were done by the same company.

As for steam worship system I think that the only good thing about it is automatic updates. And even that has negative side effect, it makes it very likely for people to miss updates. Most of all I dislike the navigation through steam workshops, racedepartment is way better at that.

Disagree here. Steam makes it really easy to find and install mods, for people who don't like downloading, unpacking and copying. I find it pretty easy to view mods by star ratings and double check on Racedepartment if I need to.

As for PIR, the update is really good. I spent several hours racing LMP3 around it. The T9-10 chicane is exhilarating in the LMP3, just a bit of brake and full commitment to both kerbs, then hard on the brakes without locking up into T11. I hated this track when I first drove it, but once you figure out the early slow parts, it's great fun.

1608040789437.png

I love this track.
One of my favorites in CART Precision Racing along side Cleveland, Belle Isle and Vancouver.
It had a racing school type of thingy where good ol' Bobby Rahal states: Portland is a rhythm track, find your rhythm and stick to it. Holds up though :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.2%