rFactor 2 Open Beta (pre-release discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Wheatley said:
What is the pricing structure for rF2?
In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price?
That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services?
Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about?
We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta?
If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

Source

I'm not really annoyed about the delay - there are plenty of great games to play at the moment, and I have plenty of work on stopping me even doing that; but I'm a bit frustrated with the fact it was ISI saying they were trying to release around xmas, then just after the holiday, and now.. who knows.

..and then they essentially blame the community for getting excited?

Not the best way to deal with PR stuff, is it?

It won't be much longer now. :)

Images Space Incorporated hit the right time and place with their 2005 release of rFactor. Its open architecture allowed hundreds of third-party mods and add-ons to simulate nearly every track on earth, and nearly every vehicle that races on those tracks. But after this many years, the gloss on rFactor is wearing off. The sim racing community is hungry for more.

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports6/motorsports_200a.html

ibsvg6O1gyUH8l.jpg

ISI has released a guide for installing rF2: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/first-time-install/

I suppose that that means that the giveaway prize will be a coupon :)

Also, I noticed that the guide said that the default install directory for installing mods and tracks will be under My Documents, what do you guys think about that? Do you think that there is any reason you should or shouldn't use that default installation path? I feel like installing the Core files under "C:\GAMES\rFactor 2\Core" and the Data files under "C:\GAMES\rFactor 2\Data", simply because all of my other Sims are under that GAMES directory and that's where I always go to install mods... So what's your opinion on this?

"There are four varieties of gamers with regards to setting graphics on newly installed titles:

"I'll start at the very lowest settings and work my way up."

"I'll crank that baby up to the maximum settings and work the graphics back down to an acceptable level."

"I have a Firebreather X2000SR system and since I bought it two years ago for $3000. I know it runs everything at maximum settings and if not the game is screwed-up."

"I let the install decide what settings it thinks I should use, then I'll start tweaking the settings more."

Which one are you?

Mwhaha, I'm the Firebreather. I will seriously dislike if I cannot max the game...

Having read the performance commentary bit I'm a little concerned about my system performance:(.

Just upgraded my CPU, Mobo and Ram from: Intel Core 2 Duo O'ced @ 2.93Ghz, Asrock P45XE & 4GB DDR2 to: Intel I5 2500K & Stock 3.3Ghz (will O'c when I can afford a new cooler) Asus P8Z68-V LX & 8GB DDR3. As I couldn't afford a new GPU I'm concerned that my ATi 4870 wont be able to run rF2 at good enough visuals:(. Just shy of £300 is a big spend for me with my Family and financial commitments so I'm hoping I'll feel it was worth it!!

Not a complaint at ISI of course as this is just how PC gaming constantly evolves!!

I'm not really annoyed about the delay - there are plenty of great games to play at the moment, and I have plenty of work on stopping me even doing that; but I'm a bit frustrated with the fact it was ISI saying they were trying to release around xmas, then just after the holiday, and now.. who knows.

..and then they essentially blame the community for getting excited?

Not the best way to deal with PR stuff, is it?

They're just humans, the funky comments on their website just make them more sympathic to me because it's rare nowadays :D

Look it's really quite simple, my computer chair is broken so ISI will NOT be releasing rF2 till I get the chair replaced, I am just about to click the buy button on a new chair and it will take 2-3 days to be delivered, NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY will be getting rF2 until at least Thursday, have I made myself clear?

I will let ISI know as soon as my chair arrives and they can then start the distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 311 27.7%