rFactor 2 October Roadmap Update is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Roadmap.jpg

The latest monthly roadmap update on the state of play in rFactor 2 is now live!

It must be difficult to find new things to discuss each month when Studio 397 sit down and plan out the latest roadmap blog posting, and it is testament to the Dutch studio that pretty much consistently since taking over the reigns of development for this outstanding simulation the developers have been able to bring news of progress with the sim, often breaking new ground as they continue to breathe fresh life into the title following acquisition of rF2 from Image Space Incorporated.

For the month of October, S397 have released another new piece of content in the form of the Finnish Botniaring track, plus updated fans on the progress of the mammoth task of bringing a modern laserscanned version of the epic Nürburgring track in Germany - one of the most sought after pieces of sim racing real-estate within our hobby.

So without further ramblings from me, let's see what Studio 397 have to say this month....

The full October 2018 rF2 Roadmap can be read below:

It´s getting colder outside, and most of us probably have either switched to winter tyres already or are planning to right now. Brace yourself, winter is here! But as simracers, we’re lucky, our season never ends, so let´s get into this month’s roadmap. It was once again a busy time for us. Let’s be honest here, that probably never ends either: we are pushing rFactor 2 further every single day, but it’s always great to head out to the community with good news like releases or announcements!

Botniaring
In 1989, the gates in Jurva opened to what now is known as the longest and most versatile racetrack in Finland, the Botniaring. It also features different layouts, thanks to the extension of the track in the past from a length of 2618 meter to 4014 meters, making it the longest racetrack in the country. Its smooth tarmac surface has invited multiple races to the region over the years, turning Botniaring into another Finnish motorsport center.

Mostly used for national championships, the track also became popular among northern European championships. With its 3 different layouts, the Botniaring offers thrilling racing action for all kinds of motorsport classes. It might not have seen a full European GT Championship yet, but you can change that in rFactor 2! Choose from the “Long”, “Long with Chicane”, and “Short” layouts to either be challenged by a high-speed track or to take on a breathtaking chicane that needs all your attention if you want to clock a fast lap time. Ah yes, we nearly forgot, the track is live now and servers are also running already, so what are you waiting for?!
rF2 Botniaring roadmap.jpg

Nürburgring
When we announced this track at SimRacing Expo, we already stated this is a monumental task. The 2018 scan data has now been fully processed, and in parallel we have been working on many of the track-side details. We don’t have a lot to show yet, as usually the phases of modeling a track involve a lot of work that is not immediately visible until quite late in the build. We did visit our artists and got some pictures from their workstations while they were working on the track. Planning-wise, we are on schedule, and in a couple of months we hope to be able to show you some in-game shots. Worth mentioning already is that this will be our first full track that is built using our new material system.
rf2 Nords 2.jpg
rf2 Nords 1.jpg
rf2 Nords 3.jpg

McLaren Shadow rFactor 2 Qualifier
After introducing three new free cars to the simulation, we headed into the harsh but exciting world of competitive racing, on the hunt for that one driver that would represent the rFactor 2 community in the McLaren Shadow final later on in Woking. But before anyone could claim this spot, three qualifier rounds broke down the list of participants to the last 30 that had a chance at winning this.

Road 1 at Silverstone
Round one saw our racers flying through Hangars straight at the iconic Silverstone Circuit in the McLaren MP4/8. With everyone ready to shine and willing to do everything to put their stamp on the first round of the new competition, our livestream saw plenty of action and great fights with everyone trying to get inside the top 10 to make their way to the Qualifier final. After 30 minutes we had our first podium of the rFactor 2 McLaren Shadow Competition with Jan von der Heyde winning in front of Michelle D Alessandro and Eros Masciulli.
Round 2 at Zandvoort
The first 10 had their ticket to the Qualifier final, another 20 tickets were still up for grabs. After everyone parked their McLaren MP4/8 in the garage again we went even further back in time with the McLaren M23, a pure drivers car. No electronics, just a steering wheel and pedals. And with these weapons, our best drivers out of the Hotlap Sessions had to go up against each other on Zandvoort. Long fast corners, a lot of banking, and the endless will to fight made up another great livestream during this competition, eventually seeing Georgo Baldi reaching for the top spot and sending Peyo Peev and Kuba Brzenzinski down to the other spots on the podium.

Round 3 at Indianapolis

The championship car of Mika Häkkinen, the McLaren MP4/13, was the car of choice for the last qualifier round, leading our drivers to Indianapolis for a last chance to earn their spot in the Qualifier final. With an aggressive rear end, this car meant serious business for our participants and Indianapolis GP wasn´t willing to make it any easier for them. As this was the last qualifier round, everything heated up quite quickly, with several fighting groups that had to be covered by our live broadcast. In the end it was too much pressure for some drivers which totally threw around the top 10 in the last laps of the qualifier. Managing to keep his MP4/13 under control, it was Mark Berends securing the first place with Kevin Ryan and Antonio Kolarec following closely.

Finals at Longford, NOLA and Sebring
All qualifier rounds had been done and it was time for the Top 30 drivers from around the world to face off in the Qualifier final. Due to it being the big finale with just one spot leading to the McLaren Shadow Event in Woking, we decided to send out drivers to 3 different tracks, using all the new McLaren cars to find out who will represent our beloved Sim.

Normally you would expect a write up about what happened, right? Yeah, me too… not gonna happen XD! There was just too much action everywhere and the battles really showed that everyone was willing to give his best to get the Ticket to the UK. So better watch it yourself! (You fancy a link? It’s down there!). To cut a long story short, after 3 intense races it was Nuno Pinto who leading the standings and lifting himself up to the next level of the competition, the on-site final. Nuno Pinto:

It was really good, I wasn’t really expecting to win the competition. The first race was almost perfect, pole position and win. The second race started really bad with the crash on turn 1, recovered from P20 to P9 and got some good points. The last race was so good, started from pole, but when I switched to 2nd gear the rear end stepped out and to avoid hitting the wall I had to lift the throttle and lost 5 spots, recovered to P3 and that gave me overall win. Really happy and I am already working to be in the best shape possible for the final in January, I don’t really know what to expect but I will try and do my best and make all rFactor 2 players as proud as possible!
rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Happy with the contents of the latest roadmap release? Looking forward to the future of rF2? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Shame there's no mention of the Reiza pack once again.
I know this falls more on Reiza than it does on S397 but the lack of communication on what's causing the delay or if it will ever get released is discouraging

The more I think and play rF2, the more I'm convinced it's just too little too late. I question the fact why they shouldn't just work on rF3 instead.
If I'm not mistaken once they said one of the reasons is money flow, working on rf3 would mean years with only spendings while keeping rF2 people join the game, buy DLC, etc. And some licenses rF2 already had they didn't want to drop. They never said which ones exactly and how good they were. I can only imagine Bentley and Chevy, and Silverstone, but who cares about this track lol

Shame there's no mention of the Reiza pack once again.
I know this falls more on Reiza than it does on S397 but the lack of communication on what's causing the delay or if it will ever get released is discouraging
https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/reiza-general-update-fresh-news-all-around.4559/
At least it's still in the works..fwiw.

RF2 is a lot more enjoyable now versus a couple years ago. I hope they keep going, and the free content is appreciated, along with the updated cars and content. I think it's become a bigger task than initially expected.

I loves this SIM but I wonder if this will ever get finished. So many little things that makes it not really enjoyable. Still waiting on the new UI and a trackmap.
DC

It, like other Sims in "Constant Development", never really get "Finished" until it's time to move onto the next title. AC had Updates right to the end until Kunos focused on ACC, iRacing is constantly evolving, RRE the same with updates, RF2 the same again, AMS has seemingly halted a bit bit again the same constant development.

It's never been about getting finished in Sims for years, more so constant updates with regards to DLC, fixes and feature upgrades :)

This new material system better be well optimized.
rFactor 2 is still one of the worst looking yet also worst performing sim racing title out there. To get anywhere near the screenshots you have to have a top of the line PC and it would still not look any better than, say, Project Cars 2 running on medium settings on an FX 6300 and a GTX 1050 while at 120 FPS constant.

rFactor 2 looks like C*** even for YouTubers who supposedly have top of the line computers.
Like on this video, stop at any time and tell me it doesn't look like a 2005 game.
Or even for Jimmy who wasn't running the game on VR.

Even RaceRoom can look better than quite a lot of the "top" screenshots from rFactor 2, and that game is still using a dated DirectX9 engine (Kudos to the development team, R3E really looks good for the engine it has).

rFactor 2 still needs optimization. My fear is that when they add something new to the engine the game might become unplayable.

I'm glad Studio 397 guys are so passionate, putting all these efforts for rF2!
But I'm also thinking ...wouldn't this be the right time to move from the old engine to UE4, like Kunos did?

Yes, and I think kunos have taken a great risk in that. The performance of ACC is poor, even more in vr. And we'll see if they will be able to sort it out.

On the other hand rf2 is a mature sim. It might not be the best in every aspect, nor the most complete, but it is the best in what many simracers demand: physics. I have all the major simracing titles besides RF2, like AC, ACC, AMS, PC2, RaceRoom, Dirt Rally.., however 70% of my time I play rf2.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 396 40.0%