rFactor 2 | New York E-Prix Track Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have been hard at work on producing new Formula E content, with the New York E-Prix venue becoming the latest street circuit to be added to the simulation.

Hot on the heals of the recent Berlin DLC release, and joining the already available Hong Kong and Monaco E-Prix layouts (alongside the fantasy Electric Docks venue), New York is the latest inclusion to the growing list of official Formula E related content within the simulation.

Available to purchase from the rFactor 2 Steam Store for around £7, and comes complete in the 2018/19 layout of the US round of the Formula E season.

If Formula E isn't your thing, the Studio 397 still have you covered by also releasing their first major build update of the 2020 Zandvoort layout within the simulation. Initially coming to rF2 as very much an early work-in-progress piece of content, the developers have spent further development time bringing the content up to the latest standards - details of which can be found towards the end of the announcement post below.

From the announcement post:

We’re proud to once again bring you great AAA Formula E content. Straight off the release of Berlin, released just last week, we’re on a roll so… no sleep til Brooklyn!

Formula E rF2 2.jpg

As a city and as an idea, New York conjures up so many cliches: it’s endlessly diverse, frantic and always on the move. New York is the hyper active soul of America – to put it another way…it’s full of “energy”! The Formula E-Prix taps into this spirit where New York becomes not just back drop but a unique place to host world class high level racing, for that reason this ePrix easily classifies as one of the most iconic stops on the road to the championship. Red Hook at the Brooklyn Harbor hosted the double-header championship finale of the ABB FIA Formula E Season 2017/18 as well as 2018/19. New York as a racing circuit is much like surviving in the city, keep your head down stay on your toes, blind turns come off high speed and will catch you out quicker than you realize if your line is off by even a little.

Formula E rF2 3.jpg

As always we’ve gone to great lengths to capture the atmosphere accurately in rFactor 2. Everything from the precise terrain coloration and wear, to the objects and buildings (even the very far off ones!) are placed exactly as they are in real life – you can even see all the way out to New Jersey! Take on the challenge, 2.32 km of pure street racing, while enjoying a unique view of yes, the Statue of Liberty. Welcome to New York!

Formula E rF2 4.jpg

Zandvoort 2020 Update
At the start of the month, we introduced the new Zandvoort to you, still a preview at the time as, like the real track, some things were still under construction. In the past couple of weeks you’ve been providing us with a lot of feedback, as did some racing driver that were the first to drive some laps on the new track. All of this lead to the update we are releasing today, fixing several bugs and polishing a lot of details on and around the track.

Zandvoort 1.jpg

The track itself was slightly adjusted in several places. We lowered the bump just after turn 3, changing the entry towards turn 4. We also changed the paddock layout and added garage positions for up to 45 cars. Around the track we installed the latest Tec-Pro and safer barriers and we fixed a few small holes and other anomalities in the mesh. We also ensured that even cars with very low ground-clearance no longer collide with some of the curbs along the track.

Zandvoort 2.jpg

Brand new AI was added. They perform a lot better now, and we added track marshals and officials around the whole track. Several new objects were added in the areas surrounding the track and we added the night lights so you can also race the track in the dark. Finally we fixed some objects that were floating above the terrain and we did another pass to tweak draw distances of objects for better overall performance.

Zandvoort 3.jpg

While the 2020 grand prix has officially been cancelled, we will keep updating the track in the following year as construction proceeds. In the mean time, this version should give everybody a good impression of the track as it is now. Enjoy the races! And talk to you soon!

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

Formula E rF2 5.jpg

It's good to have more official S397 Formula E tracks. They can be a lot of fun, not only with Formula E cars. And Zandvoort 2020 circuit updates are always very welcome... great stuff Studio 397, just a few weeks after the pre-production version was released.

yes, they both are

@Marcel Offermans , sorry to go off topic, congrats on the track releases by the way they look fabulous!
Whilst you´re here, is there any chance of an AI fix for them tapping the brakes in the slipstream? If you watch an AI race, where passing should be easy on long straights, the AI don´t overtake, but just repeatedly hit the brakes and stay behind the car in front.
It has been like this for as long as I can remember in rF2 and rF1 derivative sims, but as it was fixed in AMS, we know it´s possible to rectify. Has it been noted as an issue by yourselves?
Thanks, keep up the good work!

Just getting into the fe cars. Any way to completely remove halo (I have done 10%) and how do you manage power when you are racing?

Thanks in advance.

Halo - not sure.

Power - depends on the duration of the race you are running really. So much like with fuel, you need to manage the amount of power you are using and when. I tend to dial it down the opening lap then max out for 2 or 3 laps and see where i am relative to the rest of the cars I'm racing, then just try and keep it around 7 or 8 until I'm either clear to the flag, or need to life and coast and drop down some more.

I will say, with the relatively keen brakes on these things, learning to life and coast does wonders for your economy without killing lap times too, which has been one of the real fun things about driving these - they require such a different style to my usual choice of car(s).

Halo - not sure.

Power - depends on the duration of the race you are running really. So much like with fuel, you need to manage the amount of power you are using and when. I tend to dial it down the opening lap then max out for 2 or 3 laps and see where i am relative to the rest of the cars I'm racing, then just try and keep it around 7 or 8 until I'm either clear to the flag, or need to life and coast and drop down some more.

I will say, with the relatively keen brakes on these things, learning to life and coast does wonders for your economy without killing lap times too, which has been one of the real fun things about driving these - they require such a different style to my usual choice of car(s).

Oh and the FFB is sublime! I'm not a fan of the real series, but absolutely adore these in rF2

Nice to see some new content. But I will wait until a sale comes along to buy at a realistic price.

same, if you want to race Formula E in rF2 you can buy 4 Tracks for 32 Euro and another 5 Euro for the cars.

And then you have to find a lobby where anyone is racing with those. Most of the time you find no real servers in rf2, only modded tracks with modded cars filled with AI drivers and then it downloads a lot of stuff you dont even want to have on your PC, I don't touch any server because of that.

That's the nice thing with ACC, you have so much lobbys with people and you jump right into it, not possible with rF2.
Just for offline AI racing I don't want to spend so much money... ;(

Formula E's tracks look like all the same, IMHO. It's everything about high walls, fences, billboards, narrow streets and crashed cars.
Right in the heart of the city, but let's hide it as much as possible.

I’m into modern race cars and need a sim for prototype and multi class racing. Is this the sim I’m looking for? Formula E seems interesting too.
There's almost everything you can ask for, whether official or not.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%