rFactor 2: New Track Data Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ISI Track Team Data.jpg

The ISI Track Team have shown off an image from the latest set of new data captured by the studio. With very little in the way of visual clues, can you tell what track the pictures are from?

The guys and girls behind making official ISI track content in rFactor 2 recently revealed 1,998 reference images were taken at a recent track survey, could the image at the top of this page show the first fruits of that recent data capture? Usually I'm pretty good at spotting a location with minimal reference images, but I must admit I'm struggling to work out where in the world the picture relates to. For me the side view of the building does actually feel a little like a UK club track such as Croft or Thruxton, but realistically an American based high profile studio such as ISI would probably be looking at more internationally renowned locations.

This article isn't really "news" as such, other than confirmation another new track for rFactor 2 is in the works, but I thought it might be fun to use the collective knowledge of our readers here at RaceDepartment to see if we can work out where this new track is.

So, let the guessing begin....

rFactor 2 features prominently here at RaceDepartment. We have a great IndyCar World Series league running at the moment and our freshly launched RDLMS Club Racing mix class endurance races taking place on Friday's and Saturday's. Come and have a look at the fun on track and drop by our rFactor 2 forum for news and discussions around the ISI simulation. While you are here, don't forget to stop by the rFactor 2 mods section for a perusal of the latest mods available to download.

Do ya know what it is yet? Any ideas what track the picture at the top of the page is from? What would you love to see added to rF2 next? Lets have a chat about it below..

Last edited:
Maybe if they actually charged a few cents, like AC, we might see content that actually has some relevance and interest to a broader audience. RF2 lifetime costs about cover AC with the first three DLCs, so it's not like RF2 is cheaper than DLC packs.
rFactor 2 and Asetto Corsa are on different levels regarding vehicle dynamics and target audience, and therefore can't be compared 1:1 on price.

rFactor 2 has a physical thermo-mechanical tire model, based on real tire construction from first principles, with full carcass, thread and contact patch simulation, where peak slip angles dynamically change with temperature, pressure and camber, instead of staying static. And don't forget proper flatspots resulting in mass imbalances and some more. Such a tire model alone took more research and development effort than the whole of Assetto Corsa combined.

rFactor 2 also has a 85 DOF physics model including gyroscopic effects that affect vehicle dynamics, and also chassis flex and even suspension compliance and it can handle very stiff suspensions without problems, instead of just 14DOF with only FFB gyro hack that don't affect the vehicle dynamics, and no chassis flex or suspension compliance.

rFactor 2 is pushing the state of the art regarding vehicle dynamics and is more than a decade ahead of Assetto Corsa in that regard. rFactor 2 can't be called a game anymore.

rFactor 2 is also the only modding platform with modularized mod versioning and packaging system and with Steam workshop support with auto-updating of mods, and auto-downloading of mods during multiplayer, with multi-class AI that can handle any kind of car in big 100+ fields, and also allows AI during multi-player.

rFactor 2 also has an extendable plugin-based race rule system, allowing for extensive oval rules. It also has endurance features and also resume from replay save states. The UI also has improved functionality, with the ability to compare garage setups and much more.

rFactor 2 also has fully dynamic Real-Road and wet weather / rain with dynamic drying line and day/night cycles.

Last edited:
You want good game play and graphics? Get Codies F1 2015, (Can't wait for F1 2016) or Project Cars or Grid Autosport....That's not to say I don't play rFactor 2....Just the others beat it hands down in engines used and graphics.....

I am pretty sure that even with discount, and that's something that every clever customer should look at, with all remaining DLCs (Porsche, Japanese Car Pack, Red Pack and what else might come) I will easily get beyond the 60 euro mark. And that is basicly how much rF2 costs without Discount for lifetime. So next time you make something up, use a calculator.

WTF? You basically just confirmed what I said. Just because ISI doesn't charge for DLC doesn't make RF2 cheap if you want online. Normal price is 80EUR. Next time you reply to me, use your reading comprehension.

As for Associator.... who is obviously the resident RF2 defender and I knew he would show up:

Yes, RF2 may have more advanced physics than most other sims these days. Fair enough, and I can actually feel a bit of difference there. It also has better racing-centric features like flags, qualifying rules etc. No denying that.

However, since the default selection of cars is utterly limited we rely on modded content, and it is everyone's guess if the modders even have the car spec details to implement such realistic physics. Those realistic physics are then usually raced on badly converted flat tracks because the default tracks are not relevant to what a lot of people want to simulate.

The "modulized mod packaging" was a great idea when they still offered a lite install, but now with Steam it's a joke. You are forced to download all content, even if you're never going to use half of it. Well done, ISI, for wasting my bandwidth and storage space!

Let's not even compare sims; let's just stick with RF2. The fact is when I put my money down, very early, they had a decent track record of including high-level internationally relevant content. The three historic tracks, the Brabham and Matra, Sepang Circuit, Estoril. Later on the Howstons, Silverstone, Interlagos. Renault 3.5, a Marussia F1 car. Eventually the DW-12 and Indianapolis. That was all nice and decent.

But some time in late '14 or early 15 it seems something changed, because since then the content releases has been one sided, often small tracks that are not run by any major series, as well as cars that are barley registering on a multinational interest level. Instead we got minor updates of the core engine, every other month. They still didn't manage to get Wet Weather working as it should, for example. The AI has no clue which tires it needs when the track dries up. Great but unusuable feature.

Basically you can say I feel honestly duped. Where are those cars promised in early previews? Bentley Speed 8, the Eagle etc... Where are the FIA Grade 1 tracks to simulate major series events on? I didn't buy RF2 to race fantasy brand stock cars around a little known track somewhere in the USA. For sure in real life I'd enjoy that, but I can have a trackday under similar conditions just two hours east of here (and I actually do, occasionally).

They may indeed have the most immersive physics today; but without content that's actually interesting to race from a real-life perspective, I couldn't care less. Obviously other studios, for similar prices, manage to focus their licensing on items that have an international fan base without compromising physics too much.

So yeah, great tech demonstrator sandbox that is waiting for modders to fill the glaring gaps. Which isn't happening. And with every further content anouncement they drive that point home further. Just shame I supported them so early, had I knew that would be their direction I would have saved my money.

Last edited:
WTF? You basically just confirmed what I said. Just because ISI doesn't charge for DLC doesn't make RF2 cheap if you want online. Normal price is 80EUR. Next time you reply to me, use your reading comprehension.

Nope, that's not what I said. Please use some reading comprehension on your own and read again what I wrote. You can twist it as you want, I got rF2 lifetime for 30 bucks, not more not less. That's pretty cheap for a next gen sim with constant updates and support if you ask me and read again - free DLCs. It doesn't matter what the normal price is nor does it matter that you made the mistake to buy it for the highest possible price of 80 bucks. I can buy AC for 80 bucks right now including all DLCs if I am dumb enough. Do you go to the hardware store and buy your desired piece of hardware without checking price development, making comparisons and checking the posibillities for discounts? That's your business and responsiblity. Once more: you can get rF2 lifetime for 30 Euro, including all future content updates for free, what basicly is like getting free DLCs. You can get basic AC for something like 20 bucks (when it is on discount): but then you have no DLCs. Seems some people don't get why pubslishers sell DLCs these days. In that regard I think ISI is pretty fair to their customers if you ask me.

An on a last note: can you point me to the promis with all the FIA grade tracks? Car licences were mentioned fair and square and I am waiting for some of them aswell. On the other hand I am pretty satisfied with what I have and the Bentley Speed 8 will not make the game unbroken. Would be a nice addition, same as the Reynard and the Eagle. If you like to pay for tracks like Barcelona or Red Bull Ring just go ahead. I got Suzuka for free :p

Last edited:
Helmut... 4 years later you are still complaining about the purchase price of a video game? It might be better to spend more time and effort earning more money rather than complaining about a few Euro or dollars all these years later. I suppose it is possible with the global economy that you have had a very tragic personal situation around your income. If that is the case I apologize and wish you the best in the future. If it isn't the case... you really ought to move on.

LOL. I make enough money to finance a real life racing habit, thank you.

Doesn't mean that I can't voice my dislikes regarding a product I paid for. I invested a great deal if time in a beta product, including helping users and helping with mods. Not going to stay silent if the direction is bent and broken

Why don't we start a thread on how each sim sucks, this one is about track data for an upcoming release. Why does every single thread devolve into a bitch and defend session. ffs.. I would just once like to read stuff about topic posted

• Deleted member 130869

Why don't we start a thread on how each sim sucks, this one is about track data for an upcoming release. Why does every single thread devolve into a bitch and defend session. ffs.. I would just once like to read stuff about topic posted

Because the same couple of guys instigate it. I had to unhide their posts but it was the same usual out-of-context wagoning. There isn't much to discuss here, it was a cryptic image that someone was able to reference to the track a lot of us suspected, confirming the suspicions.

ISI stated they were going to focus on new tracks now they believe all current releases, excluding 3PA or rF1 conversions, are on the same level. though they forgot to fix Mountain Peak's road course pitlane exit. This was just an indication of them working on new material.

Because the same couple of guys instigate it. I had to unhide their posts but it was the same usual out-of-context wagoning. There isn't much to discuss here, it was a cryptic image that someone was able to reference to the track a lot of us suspected, confirming the suspicions.

ISI stated they were going to focus on new tracks now they believe all current releases, excluding 3PA or rF1 conversions, are on the same level. though they forgot to fix Mountain Peak's road course pitlane exit. This was just an indication of them working on new material.
Yeah I get it, but there is a lot of things to discuss concerning NOLA, Kart tracks, history of the track, etc. . You know stuff that actually expands our racing knowledge Instead of the same ole simbitchin'.
Would love to some hear people chime in with a story about the track. Are we racing fans or dev critics, isn't that what PRC is for. :D

• Deleted member 130869

Yeah I get it, but there is a lot of things to discuss concerning NOLA, Kart tracks, history of the track, etc.

Not much history, haha. We were supposed to have the inaugural Indycar race last year but it severely affected by the weather, brought a minimal crowd (not that it has many stands), and it may never happen again.

I thought it was a last-second deal with the circuit but given how there's no apparent urgency to develop this, it must really be the artists going through the available material in the development pipeline. The track itself isn't very inspiring since it's flat and looks like a Palm Beach / Portland hybrid, and it's very low profile. But it's first-party content that exists in real life and directly correlates to a car available in the game, so that's good.

Once more: you can get rF2 lifetime for 30 Euro, including all future content updates for free, what basicly is like getting free DLCs. You can get basic AC for something like 20 bucks (when it is on discount): but then you have no DLCs. Seems some people don't get why pubslishers sell DLCs these days. In that regard I think ISI is pretty fair to their customers if you ask me.
The "free dlcs" from ISI are basically in the same amount as Kunos free content. You can't compare that to the paid DLCs for AC, not even close.

You want good game play and graphics? Get Codies F1 2015, (Can't wait for F1 2016) or Project Cars or Grid Autosport....That's not to say I don't play rFactor 2....Just the others beat it hands down in engines used and graphics.....
Yeah man... in these hard times, when fellow simmers are more divided than those (they look frickin same to me - no pun intended:D) Orcs in Warcraft movie... humor is perhaps the only thing that can save us now. Thank you for this amazing idea ! :thumbsup:
:laugh::rolleyes:

And let us pray now. No, together! :p

Guys, don't compare AMS to rF2. AMS is heavy "based" on rF engine but they are reworking a lot of code and they add already a lot of new features. rF2 is great but less appealing , I spent most of the time setting it up or downloading/updating mods (because there is a real lack of content you know) wich looks so different each other that sometimes I am not sure is the same game...
You can be a great artist but if you are doing it wrong don't expect to be loved, you are only wasting your genius...

Then what the hell is it doing on steam, Steam is a gaming network, I would suggest you contact the devs and get them to remove it from steam if it isn't a game, it is a computer game, doesn't matter how you want to paint or dress it up.

For me personaly it doesn't matter how you call a sim. A game, a software or what ever - fact is that way play. But it doesn't matter aswell what you sell on Steam. Steam is not necessarily a gaming network. You can buy software on Steam for Audioediting if you want. So in first place Steam is a market place where you sell a product.

Guys, don't compare AMS to rF2. AMS is heavy "based" on rF engine but they are reworking a lot of code and they add already a lot of new features. rF2 is great but less appealing , I spent most of the time setting it up or downloading/updating mods (because there is a real lack of content you know) wich looks so different each other that sometimes I am not sure is the same game...
You can be a great artist but if you are doing it wrong don't expect to be loved, you are only wasting your genius...

It's still better to have mods than no mods. AMS has no official mod support, already now it's a guesswork to mod for it, and the developers have signed a deal with ISI to not support modding. IMO this is the one only big issue with AMS, it's competitors AC and rF2 are fully moddable and have official modding tools released by the developer.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back