rFactor 2: New Track Data Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ISI Track Team Data.jpg

The ISI Track Team have shown off an image from the latest set of new data captured by the studio. With very little in the way of visual clues, can you tell what track the pictures are from?

The guys and girls behind making official ISI track content in rFactor 2 recently revealed 1,998 reference images were taken at a recent track survey, could the image at the top of this page show the first fruits of that recent data capture? Usually I'm pretty good at spotting a location with minimal reference images, but I must admit I'm struggling to work out where in the world the picture relates to. For me the side view of the building does actually feel a little like a UK club track such as Croft or Thruxton, but realistically an American based high profile studio such as ISI would probably be looking at more internationally renowned locations.

This article isn't really "news" as such, other than confirmation another new track for rFactor 2 is in the works, but I thought it might be fun to use the collective knowledge of our readers here at RaceDepartment to see if we can work out where this new track is.

So, let the guessing begin....

rFactor 2 features prominently here at RaceDepartment. We have a great IndyCar World Series league running at the moment and our freshly launched RDLMS Club Racing mix class endurance races taking place on Friday's and Saturday's. Come and have a look at the fun on track and drop by our rFactor 2 forum for news and discussions around the ISI simulation. While you are here, don't forget to stop by the rFactor 2 mods section for a perusal of the latest mods available to download.

Do ya know what it is yet? Any ideas what track the picture at the top of the page is from? What would you love to see added to rF2 next? Lets have a chat about it below..

Last edited:
i have zero clue. i do know tim mentioned surveying an american track recently. my guess (for what he was talking about) would be watkins glen but thats pulled purely from thin air. just a good all-purpose track thats been repaved & fits any car, so it makes sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love rF2.
Since this is one of the most slow developing racing sim this engine become quite obsolete now.
They should move on. Just keep the physics.:D And it's not like I'm the first one who suggest this.

What? No, Automobilista is something ...different.:inlove: That's not just a game. That's movement. :D

Since this is one of the most slow developing racing sim this engine become quite obsolete now.
They should move on. Just keep the physics.:D And it's not like I'm the first one who suggest this.

What? No, Automobilista is something ...different.:inlove: That's not just a game. That's movement. :D
No matter how slow it is developing, it's still the most complex and sophisticated one. I bet some of the other developers would give alot to be able to use or even understand it. Thank god you are not the first one to decide wich engine is obsolete and wich one isn't. Autobobilista is nice and cute, but it is something completely different to develop your own game engine and content for it progressively compared to building up on an allready established and bullet proof engine, that has been used for ten years now. Most people don't get what rF2 is I guess. It is not a usual game, but a sandbox software.

Take the time and read the tyre devblog, maybe this sheds some light on the topic of "slow" development. Considering how complex the whole software is in that rea alone, I like the pace at wich we are getting core updates and content. For me the sim works great and I don't know what other people are doing wrong tbh, who call the game obsolete unpolished or outdated. But I guess this lies in the eye of the beholder. A shiney car model in a showroom or infront of a blurred racetrack is worth alot more these days than ground breaking racing features.

Well, you two are right in many things. But I wasn't exactly on some... opposite side either.
.... keep the physics.
But I still think that AMS is something that rF2 isn't. At the very same level that rF2 is what AMS isn't.
And... what, AMS isn't a sandbox ?

Last edited:
It is frustrating that ISI keeps creating new content... both cars and tracks... and not charging a cent for it.

Maybe if they actually charged a few cents, like AC, we might see content that actually has some relevance and interest to a broader audience. RF2 lifetime costs about cover AC with the first three DLCs, so it's not like RF2 is cheaper than DLC packs.

• Deleted member 130869

Hopefully work on backlogged licenses will mean a glimmer of hope at least for 1995 Reynard Honda. A matched release would be most welcome.

We never got to see the Indy race there due to weather and may never see it again, but keeping an open mind to this track. First-party momentum is needed.

Maybe if they actually charged a few cents, like AC, we might see content that actually has some relevance and interest to a broader audience. RF2 lifetime costs about cover AC with the first three DLCs, so it's not like RF2 is cheaper than DLC packs.

I think it is important to do a bit of math here to get rid of the idea that rF2 is more expensive than other softwares. I got RF2 lifetime for a discount for 30 bucks, something that I would recommend anyway for any software so patience is the key in that regard. I got AC for a discount too with first Dream Pack DLC for something like 30 bucks too. Now add to that Dream Pack 2 and 3, on discount too and for each around 5 bucks. So in the end I am allready at 40 bucks with AC, not even having all DLCs. I am pretty sure that even with discount, and that's something that every clever customer should look at, with all remaining DLCs (Porsche, Japanese Car Pack, Red Pack and what else might come) I will easily get beyond the 60 euro mark. And that is basicly how much rF2 costs without Discount for lifetime. So next time you make something up, use a calculator.

One could argue that you get more with those payed DLCs, but lets face it. You pay quite alot of money and only use a few percentage of what is in any software. I for one haven't used the DLCs that much because a) the game itself doesn't allow proper usage from my perspective in terms of features and b) most tracks in AC interest me not one bit as I have seen them for a decade now in racing games - but that's my own business and not Kunos fault. Ofcourse there are a few classics that are nice, like Brands, Monza, Zandvort and Spa, but the rest is pretty much average and soulless. The stuff that I have used the most from the DLCs are the Lotus 72, the Lotus 25 and Brands. There might be some other goodies, but the game doesn't hook me long enough.

In that regard I find the approach of ISI and Reiza much more appealing tbh as they have some tracks that are not in any other game but a blast to drive. At the end that's my personal view so you might just have a different taste in that regard wich is fine. It's just to show you that there is not a magic formula to please everyone. With NOLA I know that we get another nice Karting track and an airfield like circuit with many different layouts that I haven't driven in any game yet ... all for free.

And last but not least: you can only drive one car at one track at once. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back