rFactor 2 | New Nürburgring Update And Layout Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new update to their Nürburgring track within rFactor 2.

Releasing the fresh new build of the Nürburgring yesterday, Studio 397 have both given the track a further optimisation pass, as well as adding what has been described as the "Support 24H" layout - a track configuration that is mostly used for the support classes of the 24h endurance events - traditionally series such as ADAC F4 and the Porsche Carrera Cup series.

The Nürburgring originally released for rFactor 2 as a paid DLC back in September, retailing for around £10.66 and coming with four original configurations - with further layouts added to this iconic track over the following months.

rF2 Nords Update 3.jpg

Arguably one of the most fearsome and challenging tracks in the motorsport world, the rFactor 2 Nürburgring Nordschleife has been laserscanned to represent the full detail of the circuit, and is certainly one of the most impressive recreations of the track in modern sim racing.

You can purchase the circuit here.

rF2 Nords Update 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

rF2 Nords Update 2.jpg

Rant mode on :mad: I'd like to raise a point here that's been annoying me for ever: Why does rF2 install everything in the workshop when you install it, and then you have to go and spend forever uninstalling all the stuff that you don't want and never use? How nice would it be to get a vanilla install with maybe one car and one track to ensure that the it has installed properly, and then be able to go to the workshop and install the stuff you really use.
I love rF2, it is by far the sim that I drive the most, but it has a lot of annoying bugs and " features " that've been there since the beginning of time which, as far as I can ascertain, Studio 397 have no intention of ever fixing.
It sucks that the rF2 development is so glacially slow, I mean, how hard can it be?
Rant mode off :D
All racing sims come with free content pre-installed.
What's the difference with rf2? Or did you mean to rant against general design of all sims?

Rant mode on :mad: I'd like to raise a point here that's been annoying me for ever: Why does rF2 install everything in the workshop when you install it, and then you have to go and spend forever uninstalling all the stuff that you don't want and never use? How nice would it be to get a vanilla install with maybe one car and one track to ensure that the it has installed properly, and then be able to go to the workshop and install the stuff you really use.
I love rF2, it is by far the sim that I drive the most, but it has a lot of annoying bugs and " features " that've been there since the beginning of time which, as far as I can ascertain, Studio 397 have no intention of ever fixing.
It sucks that the rF2 development is so glacially slow, I mean, how hard can it be?
Fun fact is that it has been like your request at one point and people complained about it with comments like "Why do I have no content in a game that I payed 15 Euro for?". So I think that the current option is the better way where default content is installed automacticly. Or do you see games only shipping with one car and track and the rest is optional? As you see, you can't please everyone and what is fine for everyone in every other sim is suddenly an issue in rF2 that people rant about. I don't get it, but well ... :)

Fun fact is that it has been like your request at one point and people complained about it with comments like "Why do I have no content in a game that I payed 15 Euro for?". So I think that the current option is the better way where default content is installed automacticly. Or do you see games only shipping with one car and track and the rest is optional? As you see, you can't please everyone and what is fine for everyone in every other sim is suddenly an issue in rF2 that people rant about. I don't get it, but well ... :)
It is not an general issue in RF2. It is just an issue for a few users.
As you said there will always be minority who will disapprove some feature or design concept that works for 90% of users.
And that is normal as people have different preferences and it is on the developers to choose approach.
It is not possible please everybody.

This info is what we have for now, speculation from different tech sources, and since the specs haven't been published yet,
this is what we can say about them. 40/50% faster seems a lot, but you never know... I just checked and some newer info
speculates about a 30% increase.

And regarding the price, maybe it is about the same, or they could drop it because AMD is also launching its new cards, so
go figure... But, what our friend Gourley should know is that this is a bad time to buy a current card if new ones are coming
out in a few months.

I forgot to mention the upcoming new consoles. Nvidia should lower the
price of its new cards if they want to compete with these consoles which
will cost less than half the price of the most expensive of their new graphics card. Same for AMD.

Many gamers won't buy a 1000+ $/€ graphics card when they can have a powerful new console for much less thant that.

It is infuriating...when simply trying to remove a mod or car is so difficult...even after all this time. I tried loading an online session about six months ago...which as usual, was unsuccessful. Since then, I get an error message about the 2018 Audi R8 LMS GT3 and Porsche 2018 GT3 everytime the Workshop loads. I have not been able to get rid of either. It is linked to some mod that I just can't seem to 'unhook.' I can't get rid of earlier versions of some basic mods. It is a bloody mess in that regard. Good sim...but extremely infuriating. Hell!...I still don't know if the beta option applies....or if I need to opt out of it completely to get the most recent content. There is just too much darn confusion after this much time.

Last edited:
No I was adding as much time as possible to debunk the 30 minute claim. Taking every single slowdown into consideration, the absolute slowest load I could achieve was half what the 30 min. guy was carping about. Then showed a true average of less than 4 minutes from Steam to the track as what an average HDD system should be able to do. SSD's should lessen the time even more.

@Jlmp93 : There seems to be something seriously wrong with your HW/SW configuration. In this situation I would
a) make sure HW is remotely up to date. I'm using a 4th gen 6-core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and load everything off a standard-SATA-SSD
b) If that box is checked, I'd do a complete clean install of Win10, add currend drivers, RF2 and nothing else. Then add different stuff and keep checking if things get worse.

Sorry, this is not very specific but strange things like what you are describing most likely come from completely outdated HW or messed up OS installation.

I´m using a Ryzen 2400G with 16gb ram and a couple sata ssds, RF2 is on the main drive, but it is the only game/app that takes so long for me to load. Someone else mentioned loading up the game more frequently could help, you can see why I don´t do that so often but I´ll try that for a while, then reinstalling the whole game and then the OS. Wish me luck...

Don't quite understand the complaints about loading times. Having a 4 core Intel i5-6600T thermal optimized CPU at max 35W TDP, oldfashioned SATA-II SSD, 16Gb 1066MHz DDR4 RAM (the slowest) - I think my load times must be higher than the average here.
But I don't complain.
Remember first time loading excellent Targa Florio mod for rFactor some 10 years ago - it certainly was worth the waiting time.
And same thoughts here. Think this must be like 25th version of the track or so for me distributed on 5-6 sims, and this certainly is top class.
Excellent work!

Last edited:
No I was adding as much time as possible to debunk the 30 minute claim. Taking every single slowdown into consideration, the absolute slowest load I could achieve was half what the 30 min. guy was carping about. Then showed a true average of less than 4 minutes from Steam to the track as what an average HDD system should be able to do. SSD's should lessen the time even more.

Can't say I've ever experienced load times that long but they were bad. Exit times as well. After shifting my Steam install from an old HDD to an M.2 it's never more that 15s either way.

Can't say I've ever experienced load times that long but they were bad. Exit times as well. After shifting my Steam install from an old HDD to an M.2 it's never more that 15s either way.
Now something just DID pop into my head that could account for more time. If the chap was joining an online session that also required a download. However, what many folks don't know, Steam keeps a list of all the servers operating, AND the mod they are using. You can find a server you want to join, exit to steam, find that same server and download the required files in seconds instead of the long downloads sometimes required. Huge time saver for online gamers.

What is not to understand? The original code was brilliantly written by a bunch of physics savvy types who paid very little attention to the user side of the product. Eventually they tired of trying to fix their super technical mess and sold it to a group of employees. That group, Studio 397 have made several lurches forward, producing DX11 graphics, Online racing beyond the original code, New Shaders and lighting systems that vastly improve the look of the sim, and they are working on tieing a new User Interface with the complex code the original group sold. Because so much of the code is interleaved with other parts of the program, you can't just slap a new face on the product. The UI has to mesh with 8 or 9 year old code, all the while preserving the new parts they have added since. I don't believe they understood the magnitude of the project when they undertook it.
Two main avenues of improvement have been focused on. They improved, somewhat, the framerates, they have stabilized, somewhat, the online code, they have included new features but still have glaring holes to fill before they can rest and say job well done.
At this time, and really for the last 3 years, the solo play issues have been set aside as they work on an online competition system to improve online racing for leagues and casual users. Until they figure all that out, single player issues are being cataloged but few fixes have come in that area.
Does that clear things up?

I´m using a Ryzen 2400G with 16gb ram and a couple sata ssds, RF2 is on the main drive, but it is the only game/app that takes so long for me to load. Someone else mentioned loading up the game more frequently could help, you can see why I don´t do that so often but I´ll try that for a while, then reinstalling the whole game and then the OS. Wish me luck...

Don't bother reinstalling, that is the way it is. Of all the sim I own, this is by far the slowest to load. It is even worse with laser scanned tacks.

I have tried so hard with rF2, but honestly in comparison to everything else out there it feels totally like a very early "early access" title.

When it finally loads whatever it's loading (why the hell does it take so damned long - my relatively slow NVMe drive can still fill my 32GB RAM in around 16 seconds) you then find out that it's failed to recognise your wheel, so you quit back out, restart rF2, check that it's recognised everything, reload the track and this time the pedals aren't working, or somehow they've been inverted. So quit back out, recheck everything again, and this you might be lucky.

Honestly, half an hour of pissing around just to get rF2 to work just shows that the development team aren't really programmers. Sure the physics are great once you've got it running, but they really need some people there that understand coding and not just the maths and physics.

All you are saying is true. You waste so much time to get everything started. I have seen some improvements lately though (not for loading times).
I used to get stuck in the game while in VR but helps is to run in window mode so that you can jump back to windows easily.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.6%