rFactor 2 | New Nürburgring Update And Layout Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new update to their Nürburgring track within rFactor 2.

Releasing the fresh new build of the Nürburgring yesterday, Studio 397 have both given the track a further optimisation pass, as well as adding what has been described as the "Support 24H" layout - a track configuration that is mostly used for the support classes of the 24h endurance events - traditionally series such as ADAC F4 and the Porsche Carrera Cup series.

The Nürburgring originally released for rFactor 2 as a paid DLC back in September, retailing for around £10.66 and coming with four original configurations - with further layouts added to this iconic track over the following months.

rF2 Nords Update 3.jpg

Arguably one of the most fearsome and challenging tracks in the motorsport world, the rFactor 2 Nürburgring Nordschleife has been laserscanned to represent the full detail of the circuit, and is certainly one of the most impressive recreations of the track in modern sim racing.

You can purchase the circuit here.

rF2 Nords Update 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

rF2 Nords Update 2.jpg

@passenger NEVER believe such large jumps in framerates, and be leery of cost projections.
I would be stunned if the 3k series came in cheaper that the 20XX cards. Who would buy the leftover older models?
I'm not saying don't wait for the 3k cards, just don't pin your hopes of pre-release press.

@blot There was a small .bat file posted on S397's forums, might be hard to find, but it would wipe out thousands of .rcd files in a single click.

@passenger NEVER believe such large jumps in framerates, and be leery of cost projections.
I would be stunned if the 3k series came in cheaper that the 20XX cards. Who would buy the leftover older models?
I'm not saying don't wait for the 3k cards, just don't pin your hopes of pre-release press.

@blot There was a small .bat file posted on S397's forums, might be hard to find, but it would wipe out thousands of .rcd files in a single click.
Yes I only just buy my 2080Ti past 6-7 weeks,
even if they are more powerful in which most likely they will be,
how can they be twice more powerful and more cheaper ?
would destroy the current market, but lets see its all speculation,
either way 70-100-160fps in 3 different titles FPS wise I cant tell no difference and I am sat 1 foot away from my triples.

This info is what we have for now, speculation from different tech sources, and since the specs haven't been published yet,
this is what we can say about them. 40/50% faster seems a lot, but you never know... I just checked and some newer info
speculates about a 30% increase.

And regarding the price, maybe it is about the same, or they could drop it because AMD is also launching its new cards, so
go figure... But, what our friend Gourley should know is that this is a bad time to buy a current card if new ones are coming
out in a few months.

@Martin Fiala

I don't find it critical at all, mate. Waiting for a couple of minutes to get some fun shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
People are too spoiled and anxious these days.
We live in a golden age of sim racing and we should all appreciate it.
Life is too short to be annoyed by the little things. ;)

We are indeed in the golden age of sim racing, but RF2 hasn´t arrived there yet. First world problems for sure, but we´re not complaining about a "couple" of minutes to load up the nordschleife with 20 cars on the grid, we´re complaining about 30 minutes for the main menu, the main freaking ui (legacy or beta) to finally show up.

And the solution of "well just remove all the workshop content tha you don´t use too often" is bs. If the game allows and even pretends to support mods, it shouldn´t bog down the game so much; at some point we are going to have enough official content from S397 to make the ui sluggish without any additional 3rd party mods. And what are people going to suggest then? "well just uninstall the content that you are not going to use in a particular session" or "well who´s got the money to buy so much content and support the developers anyways?"

</drama>

Last edited:
we´re complaining about 30 minutes for the main menu, the main freaking ui (legacy or beta) to finally show up.

I just timed mine. 1 minute 45 secs to load the main menu, which included verifying and updating to the new Nurburgring track. After the update, restarting RF2, the menu loading took approx 15 secs.
The only way I could imagine it taking 30 mins would be a first time install.

14 minutes from Steam until the track fully loaded. That included time spent in Steam verifying my video config, which I do every time. Just under 4 minutes to download the Nurb updates. Then 5 minutes to get the main menu loaded and the files updated. 1 minute to change tracks, add 20 AI and finally 4 minutes to fully load the track with about 2 minutes of that, sitting at 76-77% while the new cbash file was created. If I did it again, it would be probably 33% less time.
OK, 2nd load, from Steam, checking video and loading the UI, then loading the track and 20 AI Less than 4 minutes. There was no delay due to the original download of the updated track, no delay during the track loading to create the Cbash file...so from Start to finish, under 4 minutes. Guess I was wrong about 33%.

Last edited:
We are indeed in the golden age of sim racing, but RF2 hasn´t arrived there yet. First world problems for sure, but we´re not complaining about a "couple" of minutes to load up the nordschleife with 20 cars on the grid, we´re complaining about 30 minutes for the main menu, the main freaking ui (legacy or beta) to finally show up.

And the solution of "well just remove all the workshop content tha you don´t use too often" is bs. If the game allows and even pretends to support mods, it shouldn´t bog down the game so much; at some point we are going to have enough official content from S397 to make the ui sluggish without any additional 3rd party mods. And what are people going to suggest then? "well just uninstall the content that you are not going to use in a particular session" or "well who´s got the money to buy so much content and support the developers anyways?"

</rant>

Stop being so dramatic, if it takes 30mins to load there's clearly an issue with YOUR installation so if you're not going to heed the advice given then you only have yourself to blame.

I just timed mine. 1 minute 45 secs to load the main menu, which included verifying and updating to the new Nurburgring track. After the update, restarting RF2, the menu loading took approx 15 secs.
The only way I could imagine it taking 30 mins would be a first time install.

10 minutes after a substantial workshop cleanup; feels a lot better but still... Would it be faster if I manually installed the packages instead of relying on the workshop?

@Jlmp93 : There seems to be something seriously wrong with your HW/SW configuration. In this situation I would
a) make sure HW is remotely up to date. I'm using a 4th gen 6-core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and load everything off a standard-SATA-SSD
b) If that box is checked, I'd do a complete clean install of Win10, add currend drivers, RF2 and nothing else. Then add different stuff and keep checking if things get worse.

Sorry, this is not very specific but strange things like what you are describing most likely come from completely outdated HW or messed up OS installation.

...or it could be very slow internet connection.
Try this: start rf2 to get to launcher. Then turn off launcher and start rf2 again. How long does it take to launcher?
How long does it take from launcher to main game?

Rant mode on :mad: I'd like to raise a point here that's been annoying me for ever: Why does rF2 install everything in the workshop when you install it, and then you have to go and spend forever uninstalling all the stuff that you don't want and never use? How nice would it be to get a vanilla install with maybe one car and one track to ensure that the it has installed properly, and then be able to go to the workshop and install the stuff you really use.
I love rF2, it is by far the sim that I drive the most, but it has a lot of annoying bugs and " features " that've been there since the beginning of time which, as far as I can ascertain, Studio 397 have no intention of ever fixing.
It sucks that the rF2 development is so glacially slow, I mean, how hard can it be?
Rant mode off :D

Rant mode on :mad: I'd like to raise a point here that's been annoying me for ever: Why does rF2 install everything in the workshop when you install it, and then you have to go and spend forever uninstalling all the stuff that you don't want and never use? How nice would it be to get a vanilla install with maybe one car and one track to ensure that the it has installed properly, and then be able to go to the workshop and install the stuff you really use.
I love rF2, it is by far the sim that I drive the most, but it has a lot of annoying bugs and " features " that've been there since the beginning of time which, as far as I can ascertain, Studio 397 have no intention of ever fixing.
It sucks that the rF2 development is so glacially slow, I mean, how hard can it be?
A8B4F80F-CA6C-4855-86A8-9608D3F97DD6.gif

True story, I reinstalled this today cause I was after a fix of 24 hour racing at Daytona Road and LeMans and yeah it irked me no end to have to wait for all the extra stuff to install on top of my back up that I had of what I normaly have and use, so now I have all the extra stuff back which I am going to reback up so I don't have to go through the re-install stuff again.

14 minutes from Steam until the track fully loaded. That included time spent in Steam verifying my video config, which I do every time. Just under 4 minutes to download the Nurb updates. Then 5 minutes to get the main menu loaded and the files updated. 1 minute to change tracks, add 20 AI and finally 4 minutes to fully load the track with about 2 minutes of that, sitting at 76-77% while the new cbash file was created. If I did it again, it would be probably 33% less time.
OK, 2nd load, from Steam, checking video and loading the UI, then loading the track and 20 AI Less than 4 minutes. There was no delay due to the original download of the updated track, no delay during the track loading to create the Cbash file...so from Start to finish, under 4 minutes. Guess I was wrong about 33%.
So we are adding the time to download content for a game or updates and other unnessesary stuff just to prove our point these days? How about adding the time to lurk for mods on RD to our booting time for AC? And I don't want to know how long it takes you to start GTA V or other games that ship with rather big updates or HD space requirements.

I think you should calculate the time that it takes to get to the main menu without stuff being verified/updated, wich works rather fast if you boot up the game frequently, and how long it takes to boot the track to get a farily realistic result. Everything else is just stuff that happens in basicly every game (selecting car track combo etc) and it's to be expected that it will take longer the more options you have. Last time I loaded the game and historic Monza with the classic GP mod it didn't take me more than two minutes. Anyway, I would never claim that rF2 is the fastest while loading to the track, but if you are spending 15 or 30 minutes for every boot process then there is something terribly wrong.

That said, the biggest problem that I see is when new shaders get compiled, especialy for bigger tracks like Le Mans or Nurburgring and that's something that especialy users who don't run the game regularly will notice. I am also not the biggest fan of the new UI as I see too many steps required in a few areas with some stuff being a bit convoluted and the opponent selection is improved but still not optimal without a search function.

Anyway, everything else is pretty average, atleast for me. If you want to have really fast loading times rF1 might be your best option :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back