rFactor 2 | New Nürburgring Update And Layout Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new update to their Nürburgring track within rFactor 2.

Releasing the fresh new build of the Nürburgring yesterday, Studio 397 have both given the track a further optimisation pass, as well as adding what has been described as the "Support 24H" layout - a track configuration that is mostly used for the support classes of the 24h endurance events - traditionally series such as ADAC F4 and the Porsche Carrera Cup series.

The Nürburgring originally released for rFactor 2 as a paid DLC back in September, retailing for around £10.66 and coming with four original configurations - with further layouts added to this iconic track over the following months.

rF2 Nords Update 3.jpg

Arguably one of the most fearsome and challenging tracks in the motorsport world, the rFactor 2 Nürburgring Nordschleife has been laserscanned to represent the full detail of the circuit, and is certainly one of the most impressive recreations of the track in modern sim racing.

You can purchase the circuit here.

rF2 Nords Update 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

rF2 Nords Update 2.jpg

A very reasonable answer to a very reasonable question, if you do not find RF2 driving experience that special, like me, then RF2 is probably not going to make you happy. RF2, despite having been around for a very long time and much talked about here on RD, has not gathered a lot of players when looking on Steam to see how many play the game.

They have a very enthousiast player base, small but loud, always touting how fantastic the driving is and how great the latest content is. So, maybe like me, it makes people curious, we tried the game before, did not find it that special, what are we missing? So we buy, like I just did, the latest pack, summer sales help, and try again.

So either you get it, I don’t, and you finally understand the magic of RF2, or you don’t and move along. If the one trick does not make you fall in love, the whole messy experience will make you run away toward greener pasture. Or maybe you will drive that combo that works well every ones in a while when you feel like a change from what ever fills your SIM driving need better.

There is room for all kind of SIM on our hard drive, but only so much time available to play them, let’s use that time wisely.
Tbh, I never understood the "messy experience" argument, especialy from people having AC in their avatar logos. rF2 was allways alot more plug and play for me with mods being easily managed - propably the best mod supply system of any sim out there - and most of the stuff works out of the box. Now comparing this to the hasle of reading pages here on RD to get CM, sol and the shader patch working and getting a simple race going it's def. not more messy than getting the best out of AC, considering that there is also quite a bit more functionality within rF2. Is it perfect? Propably not and I think that S397 is working on a new UI, documentation etc is showing that they are taking this seriously. But is it really that much worse? I doubt it. I think people sometimes confuse overwhelming with something being messy.

Quite why people need to use Steam Charts as bragging rights to show how good or bad a Sim is doing is beyond me, it's like they're somehow dictated by what they play via the Stats of Players not by what the actual Sim represents (not specifically to RF2, I've seen this a lot across RD recently).

In terms of what I describe as some of my best Steam Games many of them are indie titles with barely enough Units Sold to fill up a cinema, matters not to me whether a game sells millions or a few hundred if it's fun to play I'm happy.

Regarding Sims each one is different, each one has it's own flaws and strong points. In this case where RF2 shines others are weak, where RF2 fails others are strong - no one Sim is perfect, I just enjoy each one for what it offers me when I fancy a drive in whichever one I choose to drive. The constant need to get your willies out and scream "I've got a bigger one than you" is incredibly boring, put it back in your pants and just RACE already! :D

Rf2 is more complex than other sims and has more options to fiddle with but configuration and menus are nonintuitive so it takes a lot more learning to set up everything.
For new users and those who launch it occasionaly this is frustrating. Can be frustrating even for regular users who know quirks and workarounds.

But for lot of people, me included, it is more than worth it because driving feel and ffb is above everything else and that's what matters the most to me.

So rf2 is not everyone, it is for determined users that are willing to put time and effort into something they like.

Hi,
ill check later and see what the FPS ingame, not sure if I own all the GT3 cars though although I do have some so will load those, I think with the Radicals I was getting like 90fps with a full grid.
Thank you for your time....I was looking at upgrading to the 2080Ti and would like to compare my 45 -70 FPS with 12x rF2 GT3 cars on Nords in rF2 even though your triple screen res is far higher than my 5860x1080....it would be interesting to see what the 2080Ti does in FPS :)

Thank you for your time....I was looking at upgrading to the 2080Ti and would like to compare my 45 -70 FPS with 12x rF2 GT3 cars on Nords in rF2 even though your triple screen res is far higher than my 5860x1080....it would be interesting to see what the 2080Ti does in FPS :)
Yes was just playing 10 cars now at Nords with the Audi LMS,
I am only getting roughly 65-70fps and my mirrors are really low resolution need to check the menu settings again so maybe not full ultra settings,
replay was just looking was averaging 45-50-55 depending on the view,
looks really nice when you use the hangman camera and have a good look at the details,
also this triple screen app helped loads could actually drive a few laps for once.
36F876DB48BFC368C57B6F9256773AC9EACA2E8C

Rf2 is more complex than other sims and has more options to fiddle with but configuration and menus are nonintuitive so it takes a lot more learning to set up everything.
For new users and those who launch it occasionaly this is frustrating. Can be frustrating even for regular users who know quirks and workarounds.

But for lot of people, me included, it is more than worth it because driving feel and ffb is above everything else and that's what matters the most to me.

So rf2 is not everyone, it is for determined users that are willing to put time and effort into something they like.
FFB is glorious specially when turning with this DD2 and the tyre is bouncing/sliding never felt that detail before that pronounced, very nice.

Yes was just playing 10 cars now at Nords with the Audi LMS,
I am only getting roughly 65-70fps and my mirrors are really low resolution need to check the menu settings again so maybe not full ultra settings,
replay was just looking was averaging 45-50-55 depending on the view,
looks really nice when you use the hangman camera and have a good look at the details,
also this triple screen app helped loads could actually drive a few laps for once.
Thanks...was quite surprised at only 65-70 FPS at your high triple screen resolution, was expecting more :confused:...rF2 needs a lot more optimization then.
Thank you for your time, much appreciated. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two things can help:

1. Search your rf2 folders for any RCD files and delete them, for some reason a lot of these get created running into the thousands and that can cause loading time issues.

2. Uninstall any mods/tracks you never drive, the more content you have installed the longer the load time so no point having redundant items sat there doing nothing.
Thanks, but what actual folder within rFactor 2 are you referring to? I have searched a number of folders, without finding them.

Word of advice: you'll be massively CPU limited with a third gen i7 and an RTX 2080 Ti with 1080p triples. With 1440p, it's obviously a different story. Even for @CC, he might be running into a CPU limit, it's sometimes hard to tell with rF2, the easy way to test this is to lower the resolution and see how much more FPS you gain.

Word of advice: you'll be massively CPU limited with a third gen i7 and an RTX 2080 Ti with 1080p triples. With 1440p, it's obviously a different story. Even for @CC, he might be running into a CPU limit, it's sometimes hard to tell with rF2, the easy way to test this is to lower the resolution and see how much more FPS you gain.
Thank you for the advice....it's something I have been thinking about but not going to rush into because of the older CPU.

Thanks, but what actual folder within rFactor 2 are you referring to? I have searched a number of folders, without finding them.

Just search the rfactor2 folder in Windows explorer and it'll search all sub folders, if you don't find any then that's good and not the reason for your slow startup times (then check amount of content installed).

Two things can help:

1. Search your rf2 folders for any RCD files and delete them, for some reason a lot of these get created running into the thousands and that can cause loading time issues.

2. Uninstall any mods/tracks you never drive, the more content you have installed the longer the load time so no point having redundant items sat there doing nothing.

Hi Marc, I take it you have to manually check every single file? Any tools available to do this? As i am lazy :roflmao:

Well again was really excited to check out the new updates,
then after waiting almost 3 minutes to load ingame I started daydreaming and having flashbacks from when I was 7-8 years old playing the Commodor 64 with the insane 27-30 minute loading times,

then to find that no matter what I do it wont accept my DD2 wheel base just constantly keeps crashing,
I mean come on folks its 2020 not 1920 this stuff should run like clockwork,
anyways I cant be bothered now ill go back and play AC.

pls. Rf2 has your problems, but is the best. :) Pls formula Hybrid for us

Do not rush and buy that graphics card, wait for the new Nvidia 3000 series coming out in september - they will cost you
the same or even less money, and will be about 40%/50% faster than the current cards.

Do not rush and buy that graphics card, wait for the new Nvidia 3000 series coming out in september - they will cost you
the same or even less money, and will be about 40%/50% faster than the current cards.
Great tip, thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:...been out of touch with the latest tech and just did some research and you are correct, the new nVidia 3000 series cards do look promising :D....might be a new PC though :confused:;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back