rFactor 2 | New Nürburgring Update And Layout Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new update to their Nürburgring track within rFactor 2.

Releasing the fresh new build of the Nürburgring yesterday, Studio 397 have both given the track a further optimisation pass, as well as adding what has been described as the "Support 24H" layout - a track configuration that is mostly used for the support classes of the 24h endurance events - traditionally series such as ADAC F4 and the Porsche Carrera Cup series.

The Nürburgring originally released for rFactor 2 as a paid DLC back in September, retailing for around £10.66 and coming with four original configurations - with further layouts added to this iconic track over the following months.

rF2 Nords Update 3.jpg

Arguably one of the most fearsome and challenging tracks in the motorsport world, the rFactor 2 Nürburgring Nordschleife has been laserscanned to represent the full detail of the circuit, and is certainly one of the most impressive recreations of the track in modern sim racing.

You can purchase the circuit here.

rF2 Nords Update 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

rF2 Nords Update 2.jpg

Try to reinstall the driver, then delete the settings in the rFactor folder, and restart rF2, should work! Don´t use Fanalabs!!!
Ill try and exit Fanalabs for RF2,
but been playing with the settings on and off all week there dialed it perfect now,
every other game with Fanalabs and these drivers are perfect,
considering RF2 is 5th out of my top 5 sims id rather not uninstall and remove everything. :)

I know Marcel & some of the S397 staff read these boards from time to time, so I'll ask can they (or anyone else for that matter) tell us what method of LiDAR was used for the "laserscanned?" I work in LiDAR & it's not a criticism or anything b/c it's all highly detailed but I was just curious to what level of point density. Aerial LiDAR generally gets 4-10 pts per square meter where mobile gets like 30+, e.g.

If it's hush-hush proprietary info I understand, I was just curious.

In case of the Nürburgring they are probably using the mobile acquired laserscan from 3D Mapping Solutions GmbH, as from what I heared that company have the exclusive rights for a scan of this track that one has to acquire. The simulator companies can then do additional measurements, but someone from one of the famous simulator companies - not rFactor - said they bought that scan.

There is a video. Its definately more than 4-10 pts per square meter:

Ill try and exit Fanalabs for RF2,
but been playing with the settings on and off all week there dialed it perfect now,
every other game with Fanalabs and these drivers are perfect,
considering RF2 is 5th out of my top 5 sims id rather not uninstall and remove everything. :)
I had an issue with a corrupted Fanatec driver (or firmware) where every other game worked fine except rF2 (would crash). After refreshing the Fanatec drivers, no more issues.

I had an issue with a corrupted Fanatec driver (or firmware) where every other game worked fine except rF2 (would crash). After refreshing the Fanatec drivers, no more issues.
I mean there all brand new drivers lol idk I wasted 40+ minutes already today im lucky if I get 2-3hrs to race in 1 week sounds too expensive to play I dont think its a luxury I can afford,
ill just drop it from my list. :)

Possibly, but probably not - I've got 2 different similar spec systems (i9900K, 2080 ti, 32GB RAM) both with minimal systems for gaming, and it misbehaves on both. Yes, I can get it working, but I simply don't want to waste 20 - 30 mins every time I want to get some driving done. Especially when AC, ACC, R3E, PC2, AMS, AMS2, all the F1s, and the Dirt Rallys all fire up, load and run without any faffing around or ridiculously long loading times.
Dirt Rallies...lol....lots of..err....”faffing“...

I mean there all brand new drivers lol idk I wasted 40+ minutes already today im lucky if I get 2-3hrs to race in 1 week sounds too expensive to play I dont think its a luxury I can afford,
ill just drop it from my list. :)
I see where this is going. Just in case that Fanatec ****ed up one of their new drivers (wich can happen for several reasons) it's not S397s business to fix that issue. And just to pick up on your story - I had and still have issues with AC and PC2 recognicing my DFGT, a wheel that is alot more mainstream, so that I have to use workarounds and Kunos and SMS never fixed it. By now people should be aware that this isn't console gaming and that there can be very specific issues. So if you are really trying to solve your issue, then maybe just do what other users have given as advice instead of blowing the "rF2 is so hard to set up" horn. It's getting tiresome to read this all over again.

I see where this is going. Just in case that Fanatec ****ed up one of their new drivers (wich can happen for several reasons) it's not S397s business to fix that issue. And just to pick up on your story - I had and still have issues with AC and PC2 recognicing my DFGT, a wheel that is alot more mainstream, so that I have to use workarounds and Kunos and SMS never fixed it. By now people should be aware that this isn't console gaming and that there can be very specific issues. So if you are really trying to solve your issue, then maybe just do what other users have given as advice instead of blowing the "rF2 is so hard to set up" horn. It's getting tiresome to read this all over again.
Hi,
Yes maybe so, I do not feel it to be the case tbh,
AC-ACC I can start the game and within 90 seconds be racing online or doing hotlaps with mind blowing graphics @7680x1440 rocking crazy fps,
here I waste 40 minutes and never even turned a lap in these other games that was a race,
for what am I compromising for ?
mediocre graphics ?
lack of controller support ?
low resolution content ?
insane loading times ?
poor UI ?

where is the benefit.

Hi,
AC-ACC I can start the game and within 90 seconds be racing online or doing hotlaps with mind blowing graphics @7680x1440 rocking crazy fps,
here I waste 40 minutes and never even turned a lap in these other games that was a race,
mediocre graphics ?
low resolution content ?
insane loading times ?
poor UI ?

where is the benefit.
A phantastic driving experience maybe? I know, this doesn't mean much to sim racers these days and the focus has shifted to different stuff, but if you really need to spend 40 minutes to run a lap on a pretty decent looking Le Mans with a highly detailed driving model, great AI and immersive experience then there are clearly more severe issues. What I am trying to tell you - if I followed your approach I would miss out on some great stuff.

Hi,
mediocre graphics ?
low resolution content ?
insane loading times ?
poor UI ?

where is the benefit.
If you get round to driving a few laps with a properly configured controller.json, you'll answer your own question.

People complain a lot .. first it is the prices of the DLC Gt 4 ACC .. now again the long loading time. I understand what you are saying. But I don't care in any case. take a sip of coffee and enjoy your pets. Sometimes it seems as if people live in a rollercoaster. Let's say a bit more that sim racing is a great hobby and racing department a great place. I am happy with the updates again ;)

In case of the Nürburgring they are probably using the mobile acquired laserscan from 3D Mapping Solutions GmbH, as from what I heared that company have the exclusive rights for a scan of this track that one has to acquire. The simulator companies can then do additional measurements, but someone from one of the famous simulator companies - not rFactor - said they bought that scan.

There is a video. Its definately more than 4-10 pts per square meter:

I figured it wasn't aerial LiDAR but in a finished product most people woudln't be able to tell other than things would look less "polished," as it were, but I was just curious. B/c mobile or ground unit LiDAR would mean a MUCH bigger dataset. In aerial LiDAR it's not unusual to get 150 million points in a 1/4 quad (1500m x 1500m) & that's at 8.5 pts. per square meter. So I imagine the full Nordschleife & the surrounding area has to easily be in the billions of points even with low resolution mobile or ground LiDAR.

Thanks for the info.

Of course updates are appreciated, BUT, the loading times are agonizing. Why is this issue not being addressed is my "question"? And, don't get me started on the proposed (currently in beta) UI.
The team looked at loading about a year ago, they made a small but noticeable improvement. However, since then, they have included many graphic updates that may have added some time back in.
Remember, whenever there is a graphic update, the hat file(or whatever it's called in rF2. cbash?) has to be re-created and saved into a cache folder. This speeds up loads after that, until there is another graphic update.
Also, when graphics get re-worked, clearing the cbash and shader folders will ensure the latest files are being used. Prevents mixing of old and new shaders. but will again slow down the first loading of a track.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back