rFactor 2 | New Build Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new build update for rFactor 2 tonight, adding a number of fixes, tweaks and improvements to the PC exclusive racing simulation.

The new build is available to download the next time a player restarts their Steam client, with some key highlights including improvements to the lighting transitions on dynamic time of day, rendering improvements to the way clouds are presented within the game - improving the look of skies within the game, UI tweaks and various other changes, detailed in the update log below.

Update Notes:
  • Added back-end support for detecting the state of the Steam overlay so we can advise people to turn it on when trying to show them a shopping cart.
  • Fixed a possible deadlock.
  • Changed the lighting at dusk to gradually transition the fog color, preventing a sudden light change.
  • Improved the shutdown of a dedi so it no longer exits with a non-zero return code.
  • Fixed an issue where if we failed to load a custom skin we would not correctly fall back to the default skin.
  • Fixed an issue where blurred reflections did not show up.
  • Made the material editor port configurable in the scene viewer and changed it to 5396 by default so it won't conflict with the default port that rFactor 2 uses.
  • Allow up to 128 scene paths in the scene viewer.
  • Fixed an issue where upgrades did not correctly show in the showroom when selected.
  • Enforced loading the correct upgrades before we initialize physics online.
  • Added a few missing control options in the menus so they can be assigned again in the UI.
  • Significantly improved the way we render our clouds, resulting in much better looking skies.
  • Server will now kick a client using a custom team if file transfers are disabled because that client would be kicked when a race starts anyway.
  • Various auto exposure tweaks were done, also to the cockpit view.
  • Only pause the first session now if the setting is enabled on a dedicated server.
  • Fixed UI mouse click control.
  • Converted old FSAA values to new MSAA ones.
  • Corrected some inconsistencies between the viewer and rFactor 2.
  • Fixed some compound rendering issues in the showroom.
  • Improved the camera editor in dev mode by fixing some assets for it.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rFactor 2 footer.jpg

Last edited:
These are awesome. Autoexposure in cockpit view ? Thats awesome ! Abrupt change in dusk/dawn used to be slight immersion breakers, so thats very nice.

Much better looking skies ? I don't believe it, I'll look forward for screenshots, the one bellow article doesn't show anything noticeable change about sky, but nice looking picture, apart glowing roof.
  • Changed the lighting at dusk to gradually transition the fog color, preventing a sudden light change.

• Significantly improved the way we render our clouds, resulting in much better looking skies.

• Various auto exposure tweaks were done, also to the cockpit view.

Last edited:
Autoexposure seems to be way too bright in cockpit view. (VR user)

Speaking of VR...Please explain why this has not been fixed yet?! Its incredibly sloppy to let such an obvious and annoying bug exist for so many builds. Dont you care about these things??? Are none of you VR users? Unbelievable - surely it cant be that hard??? Christopher Elliott has taken note of the bug in November and has since been ignored. https://forum.studio-397.com/index....wing-the-ui-border-ingame.67845/#post-1056268 :(

Autoexposure seems to be way too bright in cockpit view. (VR user)

Speaking of VR...Please explain why this has not been fixed yet?! Its incredibly sloppy to let such an obvious and annoying bug exist for so many builds. Dont you care about these things??? Are none of you VR users? Unbelievable - surely it cant be that hard??? Christopher Elliott has taken note of the bug in November and has since been ignored. https://forum.studio-397.com/index....wing-the-ui-border-ingame.67845/#post-1056268 :(
Put 5$ in the jar, you stated something should be easy, clear violation of the rules.

Tony

APIA RACING
The yellow "square" ? That should only be the temp-car that loads in when people join the server while you are on the track yourself, no?

the lego car only shows up if you are on the track when someone joins the server that is using their own personal skin, when you esc back to the pits their skin will then be downloaded to you and then the lego car changes to their skin. I think its done that way to stop stuttering when on track.

With the last build before this one sometimes you could not get rid of the temp car if their custom skin failed to load.
I had this on the weekend, no matter what i did one car was always a temp car. Went back to the old UI and it was ok. Hope they truly have fixed this.

I would like to know if player names on track are back with the New UI yet???

Does this mean no more online Lego bricks?
RIP the Yellow LEGO
the lego car only shows up if you are on the track when someone joins the server that is using their own personal skin, when you esc back to the pits their skin will then be downloaded to you and then the lego car changes to their skin. I think its done that way to stop stuttering when on track.

Not really. In my server we only used official content with no custom skins, and LEGO still appeared when we started to join practice session one by one. It goes to normal when race starts or we go to pits.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000