rFactor 2 | New Build Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new build update for rFactor 2 tonight, adding a number of fixes, tweaks and improvements to the PC exclusive racing simulation.

The new build is available to download the next time a player restarts their Steam client, with some key highlights including improvements to the lighting transitions on dynamic time of day, rendering improvements to the way clouds are presented within the game - improving the look of skies within the game, UI tweaks and various other changes, detailed in the update log below.

Update Notes:
  • Added back-end support for detecting the state of the Steam overlay so we can advise people to turn it on when trying to show them a shopping cart.
  • Fixed a possible deadlock.
  • Changed the lighting at dusk to gradually transition the fog color, preventing a sudden light change.
  • Improved the shutdown of a dedi so it no longer exits with a non-zero return code.
  • Fixed an issue where if we failed to load a custom skin we would not correctly fall back to the default skin.
  • Fixed an issue where blurred reflections did not show up.
  • Made the material editor port configurable in the scene viewer and changed it to 5396 by default so it won't conflict with the default port that rFactor 2 uses.
  • Allow up to 128 scene paths in the scene viewer.
  • Fixed an issue where upgrades did not correctly show in the showroom when selected.
  • Enforced loading the correct upgrades before we initialize physics online.
  • Added a few missing control options in the menus so they can be assigned again in the UI.
  • Significantly improved the way we render our clouds, resulting in much better looking skies.
  • Server will now kick a client using a custom team if file transfers are disabled because that client would be kicked when a race starts anyway.
  • Various auto exposure tweaks were done, also to the cockpit view.
  • Only pause the first session now if the setting is enabled on a dedicated server.
  • Fixed UI mouse click control.
  • Converted old FSAA values to new MSAA ones.
  • Corrected some inconsistencies between the viewer and rFactor 2.
  • Fixed some compound rendering issues in the showroom.
  • Improved the camera editor in dev mode by fixing some assets for it.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rFactor 2 footer.jpg

Last edited:
Its a rough start of a year with latest issues in mind, but I'd predict that 2021 will be good year of rF2 development. Although many things that people complain doesn't seem to change so soon, and some of those probably never. It is not going to be total perfection, but at least quite a bit better.

Last edited:
I agree. What does Raceroom and ACC give us? A convenient service for offline or online racing.

What does RF2 give me? Fire ass.

Day after day I can't decide whether to buy Endurance pack 2, as I realise my time will be ruined by the crutches of the game.

Forgive me, but I began to understand why people pay for iRacing. It's doubly frustrating to realise this after buying 90% of RF2 content.
I can't really comment about RR as I don't really use it, but prior to the recent update wich got rolled back, online and offline racing worked on my end in rF2 so we are back at that status quo. Going forward from where the competition system is right now, I see no reason to call it ass. It's not finished, but it offers what people asked for with alot more versatiliy than ACC will ever be able to offer.

I mean, what else do you need than a free system with scheduled online races? And even if there are some issues with offline racing , it's certainly not worse than in ACC. I started an offline championship couple of months ago in ACC and came to the conclusion that this part of the sim is pretty much useless. Considering that you have two classes of cars that aren't able to share the same track is a pretty big fail in my book and the AI is nothing more than an obstacle.

I can't really comment about RR as I don't really use it, but prior to the recent update wich got rolled back, online and offline racing worked on my end in rF2 so we are back at that status quo. Going forward from where the competition system is right now, I see no reason to call it ass. It's not finished, but it offers what people asked for with alot more versatiliy than ACC will ever be able to offer.

I mean, what else do you need than a free system with scheduled online races? And even if there are some issues with offline racing , it's certainly not worse than in ACC. I started an offline championship couple of months ago in ACC and came to the conclusion that this part of the sim is pretty much useless. Considering that you have two classes of cars that aren't able to share the same track is a pretty big fail in my book and the AI is nothing more than an obstacle.
To be honest, I'm disappointed in ACC in general - I don't like FFB, I don't like the tire model and I don't like UE4. Used to like everything though and I was happy with it. The only thing that remains the same is that Kunos offers a convenient service at cheap regional prices, while RF2 wants the user to suffer in the game by paying a price in euros.

RRE and RF2 have changed my opinion. The only difference is that RRE improves every time and RF2 only makes failed attempts year after year.

More to the point: yesterday I went into RRE and had a great race both online and offline. I had no problems whatsoever. After that I went into RF2 - I tried to figure out the new interface menu, but gave up trying. Then I tried to find the cause of the stuttering on replays, then I struggled with the HUD. That was it - I was tired.

By the way, I'm willing to forgive everything S397, but I'm terribly annoyed that I have to configure FFB and mirrors for every skin of the same car, and also keybindings work through the ass, not to mention the loading time on the SSD and the shitty sound that hasn't changed in years.

Sadly, I make it sound like another hate message, but im dont have any way. May be later im to see RF2 become a full-fledged game. At the moment it is another disappointment. I can commend S397 for FE and GTE/LMP2/DPi - good that they licensing these series.

I used to love RF2 for the tyre model and physics. Now I realise that Sector3 provides me with the most important thing - driving pleasure and taking care of my comfort.

Last edited:
A lot of posts in this thread are more about people explaining that they have an issue with the state of SIM racing in 2021 than RF2 in particular, as none of the SIM offering appear to satisfy them.
I like RF2, I like R3E, I like AMS 2, I like ACC and I play AC the most, as AC as more of what I prefer in SIM racing.
To me, compare to what we had even just 5 years ago, we are very fortunate with the present offering, both in quality and diversity, The developers are constantly improving their software and when it is not the developers, the modders are taking the load, the future looks bright from where I stand.
Maybe, just maybe, some of us should look in the mirror and ask if it is not time for them to just try a different hobby for a while.

A lot of posts in this thread are more about people explaining that they have an issue with the state of SIM racing in 2021 than RF2 in particular, as none of the SIM offering appear to satisfy them.
I like RF2, I like R3E, I like AMS 2, I like ACC and I play AC the most, as AC as more of what I prefer in SIM racing.
To me, compare to what we had even just 5 years ago, we are very fortunate with the present offering, both in quality and diversity, The developers are constantly improving their software and when it is not the developers, the modders are taking the load, the future looks bright from where I stand.
Maybe, just maybe, some of us should look in the mirror and ask if it is not time for them to just try a different hobby for a while.

Most of this thread is about UI and packaging issues. I'm not really sold on the argument that sims are that much better than five years ago. Maybe I'm just too old and expect too much, but the progress used to be much quicker. Going from F1 series to rF1 was a huge change, rF2 equally was a huge improvement, although very unfinished when first released. You mention you still prefer AC, that's a sim that hasn't been updated in four or five years, which refutes your argument.

To stay on topic, I'll reference rF2. Some areas have continued to progress like graphics, others unfortunately not so much. There are many aspects that are largely the same when I launch sims today as five years ago. Things like damage model, FFB, weather dynamics, most of the physics model, audio engine, realism factors, etc. have barely changed. It now comes in a nicer packaging, but I hope to see sim developers in general dig deeper instead of just providing us with updated content and graphics.

Last edited:
Most of this thread is about UI and packaging issues. I'm not really sold on the argument that sims are that much better than five years ago. Maybe I'm just too old and expect too much, but the progress used to be much quicker. Going from F1 series to rF1 was a huge change, rF2 equally was a huge improvement, although very unfinished when first released. You mention you still prefer AC, that's a sim that hasn't been updated in four or five years, which refutes your argument.

To stay on topic, I'll reference rF2. Some areas have continued to progress like graphics, others unfortunately not so much. There are many aspects that are largely the same when I launch sims today as five years ago. Things like damage model, FFB, weather dynamics, most of the physics model, audio engine, realism factors, etc. have barely changed. It now comes in a nicer packaging, but I hope to see sim developers in general dig deeper instead of just providing us with updated content and graphics.
I think he is referring to the fact that AC has a community that developed the game alot further than how Kunos left it. That's propably the most important reason why it's still the sim with the biggest playerbase on Steam next to that fact that it is incredibly cheap. Granted, alot of the updates are cosmetical, but it's still amazing to see what people come up with.

For rF2 it's a bit different. I allways tell people to fire up the last ISI build to make up their mind on how the game has changed. We didn't even have rain drops on the windscreen at that time. You actually just need to take a look at the player numbers and see how they increased. Say what you want, but easy pickup racing was unthinkable when S397 started taking over delopment. Now I am able to join a public online race at night and there are actually people to race with. I guess, there will be a point when S397 developes the physics and damage model or the sound engine further, but right now the priorities are different.

Anyway, with the increased compelxity of the various games it's understandable that quick updates or big revolutions have become less frequent in the genre, yet there is alot of potential still not used.

Last edited:
But the idea that they took the game further than Kunos themselves is stupid to say in most minimalistic and polite way.

Custom Shaders Patch? If you don't know about it than your opinion is based on incomplete data. If you do know about it and still think that way, well, what you say is stupid to say in most minimalistic and polite way.

To those that don't know about CSP, it started as a shaders patch, it is much more right now. A comprehensive binary patch for the game (not only shaders).

EDIT: Also ranked online systems like SRS, that's definitely taking the game further than Kunos did.

Last edited:
@AndrewBo I am sorry. Tried to keep rFactor2 tied into a post, by stating that it is guilty that AC has much players now :D P.S. I have had 2000+ hours in AC, I feel I have maximized experience of its physics, although could race online forever. Right now I have near 2000 hours in rF2, and I feel like I am just halfway of truly getting familiar with it, rF2 is so much more deep, in a good way. haven't even started seriously racing online in rF2, and it is upgrade from AC too when it works all well, and it does most of the time. I also like its realtime gameplay looks more, despite seriously lacking in terms of producing great looking screenshots.

Mod Edit: Off Topic removed

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I'd say that the only truly confusing thing about rF2 texture settings is the fact that in multiplayer, the quality of player textures (=cockpit, since you don't really see the rest) seems to be determined by the opponent quality setting for some reason.

Also good luck maxing out textures on any current official content if you have 6GB of VRAM (no idea if 8GB is enough). Your framerate will plummet, because it needs more.

Last edited:
BTW I'd say that the only truly confusing thing about rF2 texture settings is the fact that in multiplayer, the quality of player textures (=cockpit, since you don't really see the rest) seems to be determined by the opponent quality setting for some reason.

Also good luck maxing out textures on any current official content if you have 6GB of VRAM (no idea if 8GB is enough). Your framerate will plummet, because it needs more.
It really depends how many opponent cars you are loading. There is most likely a reason why other games have a limit at 32 cars. That said, you can easily boot up Le Mans with allmost 60 cars with the Enduracers and URD cars combined and have a tremendous experience. That's with allmost all settings on high with a 1070 with 6GB. With newer gen cards you are easily on the safe side.

Btw, for people searching for online racing with changable weather conditions the competition system might be something to try out. Had a few sessions with mixed weather settings and it was actually quite alot of fun and a nice change from the usual online racing experience. Just did a LMP3 Qual session at Imola and it was nice to feel how the track changed and the times improved lap by lap. Something that I really miss compared to iRacing are the practice sessions before the actual race. I know it will come and it's great to see the community allready providing practice servers for the different competitions, but hanging around in an online lobby and going on track when ever you feel like it is incredibly well designed in iRacing. Anyway, I really like the comp system so far. Much better than the UI. :p

Last edited:
Le Mans alone pretty much maxes 6GB of VRAM, even without cars, if not exceeds. Unless something changed dramatically in the past few months (but I've only been noticing VRAM usage going up lately, not down). Bear in mind that it will still load and run if you set your textures too high, often seemingly without issues, but the framerate will take a hit.

Last edited:
@JimLee

You think my post was ment to be " Funny" ?
No...I was laughing ;) because so many people go off-topic especially if it is About RF2 :inlove:, it's like RF2 needs it own specific rant thread :whistling:. So, I don't really know, was it meant to be funny???? Don't think so :cautious:

P.S. I have AC,ACC, RF1,RF2, AMS, AMS2,GPL (even PC/PC2) ... I pretty much like/enjoy all them for similar/sometime different reasons and accept the various UI/load times not being equal. That being said I spend more time driving than UI surfing and the RF2 "old UI" I did not find all that easy/intuitive to use at first either ;) years ago.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 428 39.6%