rFactor 2 | New Build Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released a new build update for rFactor 2 tonight, adding a number of fixes, tweaks and improvements to the PC exclusive racing simulation.

The new build is available to download the next time a player restarts their Steam client, with some key highlights including improvements to the lighting transitions on dynamic time of day, rendering improvements to the way clouds are presented within the game - improving the look of skies within the game, UI tweaks and various other changes, detailed in the update log below.

Update Notes:
  • Added back-end support for detecting the state of the Steam overlay so we can advise people to turn it on when trying to show them a shopping cart.
  • Fixed a possible deadlock.
  • Changed the lighting at dusk to gradually transition the fog color, preventing a sudden light change.
  • Improved the shutdown of a dedi so it no longer exits with a non-zero return code.
  • Fixed an issue where if we failed to load a custom skin we would not correctly fall back to the default skin.
  • Fixed an issue where blurred reflections did not show up.
  • Made the material editor port configurable in the scene viewer and changed it to 5396 by default so it won't conflict with the default port that rFactor 2 uses.
  • Allow up to 128 scene paths in the scene viewer.
  • Fixed an issue where upgrades did not correctly show in the showroom when selected.
  • Enforced loading the correct upgrades before we initialize physics online.
  • Added a few missing control options in the menus so they can be assigned again in the UI.
  • Significantly improved the way we render our clouds, resulting in much better looking skies.
  • Server will now kick a client using a custom team if file transfers are disabled because that client would be kicked when a race starts anyway.
  • Various auto exposure tweaks were done, also to the cockpit view.
  • Only pause the first session now if the setting is enabled on a dedicated server.
  • Fixed UI mouse click control.
  • Converted old FSAA values to new MSAA ones.
  • Corrected some inconsistencies between the viewer and rFactor 2.
  • Fixed some compound rendering issues in the showroom.
  • Improved the camera editor in dev mode by fixing some assets for it.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rFactor 2 footer.jpg

Last edited:
As of yesterday, only some. The Comp System files seem impervious to removal(like the Tatuus season which has expired already) And for some reason....SOME.... files can be removed, others cannot.

To remove competitions go to workshop in steam to your subscribed items. They will be there as workshop items (which you can see only if you're subscribed). You can unsubscribe there to remove them for good.

I see they failed to fix the square box problem in VR again. So much for the Dev claiming it would be fixed in the next release which would have been more than 2 releases ago. Agile, I seriously doubt it. Either way, I dont care what methodology they adopt (small teams need not bother with agile), I would just like issues introduced that were identified and publicly stated as going to be fixed in next release to actually be fixed.

I would use the new UI no problem if I didnt have to drive into a square box when in VR.

This discussion goes in a very logical direction.
A group of people normally discussing availability of RTX3090 and the newest news of VR suddenly start to count Bytes. SSDs are cheap.
My DirtRally2 download was 115GB (and that's on a DSL line...). So what?

It's probably more, because with rF2, you have most of the content *twice* on your disk (the other one is a copy in the workshop folder that you can't get rid of).
Unless you move it from your HDD's Workshop folder into your Packages folder, unsub on Steam, then install from Packages, and delete it after that (and then stick with an earlier build, at least for now).

Last edited:
Unless you move it from your HDD's Workshop folder into your Packages folder, unsub on Steam, then install from Packages, and delete it after that.
Well, that's a very awkward solution with a high potential to break things and one that won't give you any updates on the content, but whatever works for you I guess.

A group of people normally discussing availability of RTX3090 and the newest news of VR suddenly start to count Bytes. SSDs are cheap.
Nice strawman you got there. I guess you can afford plenty of those too with all the money you got, good for you.

Where do you locate the client build number running? I used to view in Steam properties but after a Steam update I can no longer locate. Appreciate.
Where do you locate the client build number running? I used to view in Steam properties but after a Steam update I can no longer locate. Appreciate.

Good question, the information comes from another serious website dealing with car games. I found it unusual enough to be shared, it is rare to go back to Steam.

I imagine that the version information should be marked on the game's homepage or in the options, or in the launch pages.

I guess those buying RTX3090s are not counting bytes. As a matter of fact, my whole PC + sim equipment is surely "worth" less than an RTX3090. Please, don't generalize.

Just to add the "space requirements" discussion :coffee::coffee:. The following applies to/works for me with 1@HD (game data) and 1@ SSD (game)
Yes to the following
:thumbsup::
No, that is when you have either created or installed mods that depend on older versions of items (tracks and cars), otherwise the old package file gets deleted before the updated one gets installed, resulting in always just two folders, an even and uneven numbered one
And Yes to this (Moves Steam workshop content to HD ... only slows you down when DL new/updated content) :):

All the above as noted works for me :)

Last edited:
Surely the studio needs to look at rfactor 3 development. Fixing the current version to a level we expect is going to be too difficult. Priority needs to be the introduction of easy to join multiplayer gameplay than what the clouds look like. I occasionally will fix this game up play a single player game and get bored and then leave and go to ACC or RR.

• Deleted member 379375

Surely the studio needs to look at rfactor 3 development. Fixing the current version to a level we expect is going to be too difficult. Priority needs to be the introduction of easy to join multiplayer gameplay than what the clouds look like. I occasionally will fix this game up play a single player game and get bored and then leave and go to ACC or RR.

Spot on, they could pull resources from developing make believe cars too

Well, we know the lighting effect still has long way to go, we understand, it's pretty bad but it's not unacceptable. But, the texture quality of the latest car of this game, with Texture Quality set to Full...
No way near those skin makers on RaceDepartment...
XhVbvKz.png

No words needed. This is their attitude.

Well, we know the lighting effect still has long way to go, we understand, it's pretty bad but it's not unacceptable. But, the texture quality of the latest car of this game, with Texture Quality set to Full...
No way near those skin makers on RaceDepartment...
XhVbvKz.png

No words needed. This is their attitude.

Texture quality as in player detail and opponent detail? There are a lot of somewhat confusing settings that all need to be maxed out. Texture detail setting alone only controls the track textures. By the way, you have massive jagged edges also on the track, it looks like AA is not turned on.

Moving to rF3 won't change much because they cannot start from scratch either way, so it would essentially be rF2 but rebranded. Software has grown so complicated that to start rF3 from scratch would be a bit like asking Microsoft to make the next Windows version from the grounds up. There are also all the issues with content licensing and likely requirements to renew licenses when a new game is created. It's pretty clear it won't happen at this point.

I agree. What does Raceroom and ACC give us? A convenient service for offline or online racing.

What does RF2 give me? Fire ass.

Day after day I can't decide whether to buy Endurance pack 2, as I realise my time will be ruined by the crutches of the game.

Forgive me, but I began to understand why people pay for iRacing. It's doubly frustrating to realise this after buying 90% of RF2 content.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing