rFactor 2 | New Build Update Released

mantasisg

Premium
Lithuania
Definitely rF2 is not looking bad recently at all. There are things that aren't great, but overall it is really good IMO. Also I respect Ilja, but the way he is praised and the way Stefano is discredited is just silly (and followign that rF2 devs too being discredited too because of meme "hire Ilja"), Kunos really did high class game for what AC could have had possibly be, Ilja surely is making impressive updates, but he is not develepong it on the official level, and I am sure whole lot of possible trouble is being skipped.

If they implement Le Mans quality on every track all they need is a better particle system and rain graphics.
That track (together with new interior car shaders, when they release it) makes rF2 look way better than all other sims because it looks real. Other sims like ACC, with all respect to the job done there, looks like a MMO world and Madness is not too far from it.
Unfortunately Le Mans quality is not on every track. Even the demo track for modders is not on the same level (should have gone with Portland for this as they promised)

All 3 tracks use the same tech but LD was updated in a few weeks as a technical showcase. Where as LM has had several extensive passes. Portland is licensed content and opening up for anyone to poke into is potentially troublesome.

Fwiw this build should improve the balance a bit at LD, as the previous one the auto exposure was too dark when the sun was lower as occurs as at high latitudes.

All 3 tracks use the same tech but LD was updated in a few weeks as a technical showcase. Where as LM has had several extensive passes. Portland is licensed content and opening up for anyone to poke into is potentially troublesome.

Fwiw this build should improve the balance a bit at LD, as the previous one the auto exposure was too dark when the sun was lower as occurs as at high latitudes.

Hi Alex, thanks for the insight. A quick question, is Loch Drummond going to be the standard for circuits as of now? With all the graphical updates being done, the goalposts have been moving for some time for modders. Can we safely say that a mod track built now to Loch Drummond's material/shader standards won't need a complete revamp in a year's time?

Last edited:

mantasisg

Premium
Lithuania
I haven't been trying out new modding possibilities yet, but I think Loch Drummond should be fine as basic example, but as a standard for polish level/ quality/optimisation I'd say Portland, LeMans, Silverstone... are better. Thats pretty much what Alex has said - LD was made for technical showcase in a single pass.

PS looking forward for Nordschleife update so much !

Talking about the track Loch Drummond and the new improved graphics
quality of rFactor 2, there is something I wanted to mention since its new
release, but I didn't want to look too fussy, but, hey, here it is now:

The new track looks good, but the trees, most of them, look bad, especially
from afar, and some look like they are lit. Nords, Le Mans, and Portland's
trees look better, more realistic. Why not using these same more realistic
looking trees on this track too?

Realistic trees make Sims look nicer, more attractive and add immersion. Here
is an example of an old track mod which look very nice, largely because of its
very well done trees, which are actually very simple 2D trees, but they look and
fit very nicely. I wish most tracks had this kind of realistic looking trees:

Last edited:
Talking about the track Loch Drummond and the new improved graphics
quality of rFactor 2, there is something I wanted to mention since its new
release, but I didn't want to look too fussy, but, hey, here it is now:

The new track looks good, but the trees, most of them, look bad, especially
from afar, and some look like they are lit. Nords, Le Mans, and Portland's
trees look better, more realistic. Why not using these same more realistic
looking trees on this track too?

Realistic trees make Sims look nicer, more attractive and add immersion. Here
is an example of an old track mod which look very nice, largely because of its
very well done trees, which are actually very simple 2D trees, but they look and
fit very nicely. I wish most tracks had this kind of realistic looking trees:

LD has exactly the same trees and tech as the other new tracks. Infact they were just taken from Portland.

Last edited:
LD has exactly the same trees and tech as the other new tracks. Infact they were just taken from Portland.

Just because of your avatar, are you involved with Studio 397 in any way?

Trees in Loch Drummond are similar to those in Portland, but, and sorry
to say, they don't look as good. Perhaps the problem is that they are
placed differently, or the lighting over them or any other similar effet.
To me some look like billboards from afar. And, by the way, darker trees
always look more realistic.

What do you think of the trees in the Mid-Ohio track mod video I posted?
To me they look much more realistic than the ones in Loch Drummond.

Anyone else having issues accessing race replays under newest Beta build? They're still in my folders but under 'watch' there's nothing there.

Anyone else having issues accessing race replays under newest Beta build? They're still in my folders but under 'watch' there's nothing there.
Old replays will not work with the latest version. In fact the last two versions. To view replays recorded with v1119 you have to use Steam to roll back to v1119. Same with replays recorded with v1120. Roll back to the version that matches the age of the replay and you should be able to view them. New replays, recorded with v1121 should work without any further changes.

Old replays will not work with the latest version. In fact the last two versions. To view replays recorded with v1119 you have to use Steam to roll back to v1119. Same with replays recorded with v1120. Roll back to the version that matches the age of the replay and you should be able to view them. New replays, recorded with v1121 should work without any further changes.

Yup, thank you :thumbsup:

The new ui (new...lol... 4 years in the making and still in beta)...

You mean rf2 early access: 4 years and counting! Casually selling on steam - zero ****s given.

Still spending $$ on promos with f1 drivers, "look big when you 're weak" aggressive neo-liberal marketing?!

Who doesn't love brave new world. :)