rFactor 2 | New Build Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have deployed a new build update for rFactor 2 - adding many fixes, tweaks and improvements to the simulation.
  • Multiple UI improvements and tweaks.
  • New controller profiles for various wheel manufacturers.
  • Substantial modding support archive documentation refresh.
Studio 397 have been pretty busy of late, and today some of those labours have seen the light of day with a brand new build hitting the public version of the simulation - adding many fixes and improvements to the title in a number of key areas.

As rFactor 2 strives towards making the new UI the default interface choice for the public build of the simulation, Studio 397 have released a new update today with many tweaks, improvements and fixes to how the UI operates within the game - again taking another step forward in what is a considerable overhaul to the way the simulation looks, feels and functions when loading into the sim.

Other notable changes within the new build include a reworking of many broadcast overlay features, substantial updates to the documentation available to modding teams, additional wheel profiles, graphical tweaks and multiplayer fixes - the full details of which can be seen in the change log below:

EeRwEWFWkAINgDV.jpg

Update Notes 04.09.2020

Old UI (opt-out)

• Client build ID: 5504070
  • Dedicated server build ID: 5504080
New UI (public_beta)
  • Client build ID: 5503999
  • Dedicated server build ID: 5504004
User Interface
  • Added key binding for hide cursor. This is useful when running the in-game overlays and doing a broadcast to a capture card that insists on showing your cursor otherwise.
  • All replay controls can now be custom assigned in the controller tab. By default all replay controls are mapped to the same defaults unless re-assigned.
  • Added first time start up wizard. For now only has name and nickname fields. This will be extended.
  • Added player area in the main UI. For now only has name and nickname fields.
  • In showroom we now check for upgrades on page load and do not show info if there aren't any.
  • Disabled select button in list layout for category items. When switching from grid or thumbnail layout to the list layout, and having a "category" item selected, the select button would be available and would glitch things when clicked.
  • Clear car configuration info when viewing a "category" item.
  • Updated the pop-up layout and styling.
  • Renamed event screen "Drive" button to "Passenger" when in multiplayer spectator mode.
  • Made transitioning to packages area page smoother:
    • Get packages after the page has loaded to avoid blocking.
    • Show a pop-up message while getting packages.
    • Use a dark grey background during switching to the page.
  • Enabled a chat message for single player admin commands.
  • Fixed a game crash when switching sessions.
  • Fix accessing garage data properties if data is not available.
  • All controller profiles are updated. This fixes various issues when using 'Detect' on first time hardware setup.
  • We have new controller profiles for:
    • Simucube 2 Sport;
    • Simucube 2 Pro;
    • Simucube 2 Ultimate;
    • Logitech G923 PlayStation 4 and PC;
    • Logitech G923 XBox One and PC;
    • VRS OSW;
    • XBOX One Controller For Windows.
  • Added "PlayerFileOverrides" to various profiles to ensure proper driver aids are enabled/disabled on first time wheel detect.
  • Added use thread "true" for all profiles.
  • Ensured that the "920 workaround" is set to "false" on all non-Logitech profiles.
  • Fixed profile naming and removed redundant profiles.
  • Fixed stuck 'look left' on TS-XW profile.
  • Thrustmaster F1 wheel Integral profiles: Fixed all mapping conflicts: T-GT, TS-PC, T500 RS, TS-XW.
  • Thrustmaster Racing wheel profiles: Fixed all mapping conflicts: T-GT, TS-PC, T500 RS.
  • Thrustmaster F1 wheel Integral profiles: Fixed all mapping conflicts: T-GT, TS-PC, T500 RS, TS-XW.
  • Thrustmaster Racing wheel profiles: Fixed all mapping conflicts: T-GT, TS-PC, T500 RS.
  • Added correct max torque to Fanatec CSW v1, v2, V2.5 and Direct Drive profiles.
Modding Support
  • Published a ton of new information about modding for rFactor 2 on the documentation website.
  • Large update to modding documentation, will full documentation on PBR material system, dedicated Development Tools section and more.
  • First official release of 3ds Max 2021 Plugins.
  • First official release of Material Editor.
  • First official release of Maps Converter Tool.
  • Added Loch Drummond (PBR Track) to ModDev.
  • Added ability to disable auto albedo correction on pre PBR shaders.
  • Added ability to choose cube Fresnel default settings on pre PBR car body shader.
  • Corrected Deformable Tire shader naming in Max Plugins.
  • Exposed Atmospherics section in Wet file to configure Haze and other settings..
  • Updated ModDev to use main game HUD.
  • Added ability to save preset positions in the Scene Viewer.
Graphics
  • Added new pit exit marshal textures.
  • Small refactor of glare settings in PostFX
  • Many other minor tweaks to various shaders and settings.
Multiplayer
  • Significantly improved logging for multiplayer sessions.
  • Fixed race conditions in our low level socket node list.
  • Increased the size of an internal array to accommodate all possible cars in a session.
  • Fixed an issue where not just the server would send out node reordering messages.
  • Changed some very "spammy" log messages.
  • Fixed several crashes where some code would reference invalid data.
  • Added descriptive names to all threads.
  • Improved the handling of an application crash to ensure logs get flushed.
Broadcast Overlays
  • Made qualifying box sector colors correspond to best lap sectors instead of absolute best sectors.
  • Added fallback for drivers with no last name set.
  • Added dropdown in control panel to select overlay configuration.
  • Made replay transition follow the configured series color.
  • Added an option to show more data in tower field 4 (gap to next, number of pit stops).
  • Added an option to automatically enable race update box when timing box is enabled.
  • Fixed pit timer getting stuck after leaving pit lane.
  • Fixed displaying of gaps to leader/fastest lap time in tower and banner.
  • Extended field 2 data with manufacturer and team logo.
  • Added turning lap time green or purple in the qualifying box after the lap.
  • Added option to minimize boxes in the control panel.
  • Fixed starting order not working with multiple events.
  • Fixed replay jumping to wrong time.
  • Cleaned up the CSS to make it easier to make changes in the custom.css.
  • Added a replay marker button to mark replay events.
  • Updated team name and car number to use the entries from the .VEH file.
  • Added mixed/overall standings option.
  • Added an option to toggle between driver name, team name and description.
  • Made b-roll a standalone element.
  • Added option to condense tower by hiding field 2 or 3.
  • Fixed schedule slide date comparing.
  • Added an option to start the overlay in multi-class or single-class mode.
  • Updated banner behaviour based on the selected car class (or mixed/multi-class mode).
  • Rearranged control panel.

Original Source; Studio 397 forum.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC, via the Steam network.

Want to get the best from your rFactor 2 experience? No worries, head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, start up a new thread and let the community help you out!

rF2 footer.jpg

Last edited:
In some ways, AMS2 is still in development as there are still a lot of changes that need to be added. rF2 is sort of "completed" and it seemed like it is mostly maintenance work for them.

Sorry?
If we will put a list of missing or not working features we will have one of the most long lists on simracing history...
It is far to be "completed" and this without counting bugs/errors on default official content...
I like it but this doesn't mean we should be blind, the best thing they can do is to rebuild/design it from roots, remove all the unused/unfinished/useless code...add the missing features and start from there FFS!

PS: RD on mobile is a pain in the ass, so many ads that it lags and no way you can read it clearly on 5" screen, literally a shame.

Last edited:
I've always found the new UI extremely slow and laggy. It's horrible in VR, with dreadful flickering. I try it every time there's an update, but always end up going back to the old one. It's a shame, because the new one is nicer. I just hope they don't drop the original until the new one runs much more smoothly.

Does it still run poorly?

Does anybody know if the new Simucube 2 Profiles are the same that have been shared inofficially by the Simucube devs for some time now, or have they been reworked?

Last edited:
Not speaking for everyone but (There you go MarcG )

Things that are needed to take RFactor 2 to the level it deserves. More Content ... It seems is all we get now. Another track / car update and UI update is nice but in order to have many people switch to RFactor 2 permanently it needs substance. Something that will have the simracing community buzzing about RFactor 2 again. The sim it's self has all the ingredients to make it the Go -To simulator for even the most critical sim racing enthusiast but loading RF2 in order to sample a new track or vehicle only goes so far when there is so few people driving online. And for those trying to have a meaningful race offline with the AI , users are left very underwhelmed with fast drivers appearing up and down the order from race to race. It's time for a complete AI passover to give the end uses a great " Racing " experience. Not just a hot lapper that has by far the best FFB and Physics available to date.

Here is a few lines consumers would really like to read from Studio 397 in a future Update

Update Notes:

Substantial Increase In Actual "Racing"

• Added New AI Talent Editor , giving user the ability to have meaningful races with AI
  • Fixed AI Throttle control so they no longer use a stab throttle On/Off Technic to navigate the circuit.
  • Added AI Name Editor so user can now put realworld drivers in vehicles
  • Fixed issues with Hosting / Joining races

Last edited:
Hopefully ai is on the way. It is getting worse.
It must depend on the track and the ai settings. I leave my ai at 50% aggression and have very few problems. You do have to be careful during the early part of the race if you're not starting at the front of the pack. I've seen other complaints about the ai and I just haven't had the trouble others have had. At least the ai doesn't do the "meth twitch" that they do in AMS2.:)

Not speaking for everyone but (There you go MarcG )

Things that are needed to take RFactor 2 to the level it deserves. More Content ... It seems is all we get now. Another track / car update and UI update is nice but in order to have many people switch to RFactor 2 permanently it needs substance. Something that will have the simracing community buzzing about RFactor 2 again. The sim it's self has all the ingredients to make it the Go -To simulator for even the most critical sim racing enthusiast but loading RF2 in order to sample a new track or vehicle only goes so far when there is so few people driving online. And for those trying to have a meaningful race offline with the AI , users are left very underwhelmed with fast drivers appearing up and down the order from race to race. It's time for a complete AI passover to give the end uses a great " Racing " experience. Not just a hot lapper that has by far the best FFB and Physics available to date.

Here is a few lines consumers would really like to read from Studio 397 in a future Update

Update Notes:

Substantial Increase In Actual "Racing"

• Added New AI Talent Editor , giving user the ability to have meaningful races with AI
  • Fixed AI Throttle control so they no longer use a stab throttle On/Off Technic to navigate the circuit.
  • Added AI Name Editor so user can now put realworld drivers in vehicles
  • Fixed issues with Hosting / Joining races
Names and Talents are changeable already (integrating that into UI wouldnt be a bad idea tho, I also read an interview where its been said a championship editor is in the works), Ai races can be really fun (depends on settings), I sometimes even just watch a race on replay, but the throttle thing could be fixed sounds a bit weird but luckily doesnt seem to effect their pace :)

Names and Talents are changeable already (integrating that into UI wouldnt be a bad idea tho, I also read an interview where its been said a championship editor is in the works), Ai races can be really fun (depends on settings), I sometimes even just watch a race on replay, but the throttle thing could be fixed sounds a bit weird but luckily doesnt seem to effect their pace :)

Doesn't affect their pace, but coupled with the AI not slipstreaming it breaks the immersion considerably. I've seen a couple of vids of slipstreaming working with a specific mod at a specific track, but it should be fixed at a code level so that it doesn't matter what car or track, they just use the tow properly, like in AMS1..

How is it getting worse exactly?

I think it is largely that they tend to drive off the track often and spin out. This causes a yellow flag and eventually safety car.

It happens far too often for the AI to make big mistakes like that where some tracks I am behind too many safety cars. For some reason, the Oreca 07 AI seemed to love to do that the most.

Other than that, I am pretty happy with it. I would want to leave safety car on as there is a unique tension to wait behind it until it goes green flag again.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years